Help Plan (Please): 4 days in Bangkok, 5 days in Phuket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.

I am about to embark on my first trip to Thailand next month. 4 days in Bangkok, 5 in Phuket - although very open to day trips to other locations. I am staying at the Renaissance at both locations (thank you Marriott Points).

I have gone through the forum and through my travel book - but I thought I would ask the experts here for any and all suggestions from Restaurants,, where to watch a kickboxing match, best place to get a suit (giving time limitations - Thurs-Sun) what I can't miss, and what I should avoid.

I am interested in pretty much all sorts of local culture, adventure, cuisine, etc. For the Phuket side of it - adventures and natural beauty goes to the top of the list (i.e. limestone formations by beaches, kayaking, caving, etc.) Although a good bar or two would also be helpful.

Will be traveling with significant other - both active in early to mid-30s.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
what dates?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:50 am

Programs: various
Skip the suit. Go sea kayaking in Phang-Nga Bay.
If your "next month" (November) dates are early in the month, you need to keep abreast of the flooding situation in Bangkok and any aftermath. No need to change any plans now, just keep up with what's happening. Phuket is OK and should remain that way. I personally would put the beach stay before the Bangkok stay.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by aero0729
what dates?
Bangkok - Nov 16-20
Phuket - Nov 20-25
Hong Kong - Nov 25-28

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:49 am

I like the Phang Na kayaking idea. Done it and it's gorgeous. At this point I think there's a real chance that even downtown Bangkok gets a good dunking. BKK has a pretty good berm around it and should be OK. So flying elsewhere in Thailand should not be a problem. Maybe think about substituting Chiang Mai or Anchor Wat for Bangkok. I wouldn't book anything you can't cancel. I'm supposed to be there a week after you and I think I'm going to fly into SGN instead. I'll give 'em a couple extra weeks to mop up. I'm also worried about the stagnant water, so I'm getting all my shots this time. Hard to say what the flooding will do to hotel prices in Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai etc. Part of me thinks people will avoid Bangkok and they'll go up and part of me thinks people will cancel the whole trip and they'll go down. wj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.