FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Lasik in Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1267498-lasik-thailand.html)

yosithezet Oct 9, 2011 9:46 pm

Lasik in Thailand

Has anyone had Lasik done in Thailand?

Prices? Recommended centers?

glennaa11 Oct 12, 2011 7:01 am

I did not have LASIK done there, but did have it here in the US in 1999. I would say, make sure you are fully informed beforehand of the potential side effects and/or complications. I read a ton of horror stories before I had it done but went ahead with it anyway. I have had some minor issues with what they call "starbursting" but nothing too bad. My issue now is that my vision has regressed a fair bit. I went from basically blind before the surgery to 20/15 in both eyes. I think it is now something like 20/40 or 20/50 and I find that I need to wear glasses or contacts again, albeit at a much lighter correction factor. So, it wasn't a permanent solution for me. In theory I could have it done again but my eye doctor advises against it.

yosithezet Oct 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Yeah, those same concerns are concerns I have. I'll look into my prognosis for needing glasses in the future and take it into account. I may consider trying contact lenses as well. I don't relish ending up needing "reading" glasses in a few years as they would come on and off. Today I wear glasses 100% of the time and so don't think about it. But with reading glasses it'd be another thing to carry around. The thought of waking up and just seeing or being in the shower and being able to read the shampoo bottle is just so attractive.

aBroadAbroad Oct 13, 2011 11:17 am

No personal experience with LASIK in Thailand (had it done in the USA), but Bumrungrad does have four or five ophthalmologists who specialize in LASIK, and at least two of them are board-certified in the USA.

If you call or send an email inquiry, they are usually really great about providing a ballpark price for a procedure. Generally speaking, the most significant billing variable at Bumrungrad is the physician fee (for normal, uncomplicated, routine procedures), so you might want to ask for estimates based on utilizing more than one doctor.

Be sure to tell them you're a medical tourist so they can advise you of any potential flight restrictions relative specifically to refractive surgery (e.g., must wait X number of days before flying after undergoing such-and-such a procedure).

Good luck!

RoninTech Oct 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Not a Thai experience but I'll relate mine anyway:

I also had it done in 1999 in Calgary once my prescription had stabilized. I was the only Canadian there with the other 15 or so people being from the states due to the outrageous prices down there at the time.

It ranks as one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I was not blind but had to wear glasses or contacts for driving. What a life changing experience! I've had better than perfect vision ever since. Had some coronas around lights at night for the first couple of months that that went away and wasn't an issue while it was there.

My story from the day I had it done was that my wife had gone to the library to get me a couple of audio books as you shouldn't watch TV or use a computer. While she was out I decided to make a tuna salad sandwich. Trust me when I say DO NOT cut onions or scallions shortly after having eye surgery! :eek:

I know probably 20 people that have had it done. One had problems. The idiot went back to work in front of his computer, got dry eyes and rubbed his eye, tearing the flap off that they cut. Totally self inflicted by his stupidity.

P.S. For some comparison, right now the same place in Calgary charges $490 CDN/eye

toshiba114 Oct 17, 2011 8:10 am

I had Lasik Done in 2006 at Ratnin eye Hospital. Ratnin is the reputable eye hospital. It is located in SuKhumvit area. It cost less than $2,000 at that time. I believe it becomes cheaper and cheaper nowadays . They provide an excellent service.

EmailKid Oct 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 17265451)
I don't relish ending up needing "reading" glasses in a few years as they would come on and off.

Relish it or not, you will need bifocals/progressive lenses sooner or later :(

I wear glasses for distance, and my prescription is such that I don't need readers, because I can look under my (fairly small) glasses - kinda like readers.

While not for everyone (certainly not me), you can do monovision - lasik in one eye - that way one eye sees distance and the other sees close up. Former pres Reagan used contact lenses for that. Again, not for everyone, but you can try it with contacts first.

EmailKid, measuring eyeballs for lasik almost every working day.