Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

extend toursit visa

extend toursit visa

Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:45 am
Original Poster

extend toursit visa

I will need to extend my toursit visa for a few days (staying in thailand for 35 days). Do I need to personally appear at the immigration office or can the hotel (Shangri-la) take care of visa extension for me?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Disregard, and link deleted (was an old thaivisa.com link).

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Oct 9, 2011 at 3:36 am Reason: removed dud link
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Careful with that thread.

The ThaiVisa thread is from 2008 and I believe that since 2009 you cannot extend at that office anymore but rather you need to go to the main government complex at Chaeng Wattana. I am pretty sure they moved the 90-day reporting and extension from Soi Suan Plu to Chaeng Wattana.

In short: Your hotel cannot help you. You need to either exit Thailand and re-enter or apply in person at Chaeng Wattana.

See here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004...?page=location

In case of extension service please contact immigration office in your residence area for example if you stay in Bangkok please contact Immigration Division 1 at Government Complex Changwatana.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 4:12 am
Original Poster

So the procedure must be done in person?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyamato
I will need to extend my toursit visa for a few days (staying in thailand for 35 days). Do I need to personally appear at the immigration office or can the hotel (Shangri-la) take care of visa extension for me?
Do you have a Tourist Visa? Did you apply for this visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate before traveling to Thailand? Or are you from a country which allows for a 30 day Visa Exemption?

If it is a real Tourist Visa it can be extended, in person at Immigration at Chang Watthana, for 15 days and 1,900 baht. If you entered on a 30 Visa Exemption stamp then that normally cannot be extended. However Immigration does seem to give 7 day extensions, again in person and 1,900 baht, more often than not. Figure on ~ 400 baht in taxis to/from Immigration, and 3 ~ 5 hours all in.

You could also go overland, say to Cambodia, exit and re-enter, where you would be stamped in for 15 days. There are mini-van services available for this purpose.

Your other option would be to pay the overstay fine, which should be 2,000 baht ( 4 days at 500 baht per day, given the one-1day grace period) at the airport upon departure.

It would be ideal to get a Tourist Visa which covers the length of your stay; this would also remove the possibility of an airline denying boarding when traveling to Thailand.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:48 am

Your other option would be to pay the overstay fine, which should be 2,000 baht ( 4 days at 500 baht per day, given the one-1day grace period) at the airport upon departure.
I would not consider that as an option. In fact I find that quite irresponsible.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Mont-Fleuri
I would not consider that as an option. In fact I find that quite irresponsible.
+1.

Things have changed in Thailand. Overstayers may well be made an example of if that's the mandate du jour.

Exit and re-enter the country before your time is up or go to Chaeng Wattana in person to regulate your status.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Mont-Fleuri
We can agree on this.

Do not overstay your visa. Rather, spend that same money (give or take) and do the quick trip to Aranya Prathet, for crossing into Cambodia, Mae Sai, for Myanmar, or south for Malaysia. There might also be other closer places for Myanmar. Yes it takes a day but you don't need to deal with immigration officials and potential future problems.

Better yet, get a tourist visa good for 60 days and don't worry about needing to do any of this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.