Since when....

Since when....

Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Since when....

...does BKK have NoS?

Transfer security, east side (C/D concourse) there two in action. The two outside lanes were just WTMD.

I can see during slow times when they only have 1 or 2 lanes open this is going to become problematic.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
IHNIWYJS.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bp888
IHNIWYJS.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
IHNIWYJS seems straight forward "I have no idea what you just said", and I admit I'm also still at a loss what you meant with "NoS".

Nitrous Oxide System? (Makes cars faster, but not really suitable in an airport)
New old Stuff? (Plenty of that in BKK already)
Not on Schedule?
Not otherwise specified?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: most of them
??? I don't understand your abbreviations either.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
WTMD = Walk Through Metal Detectors

NoS has me stumped as well - are we talking about the Transdouglas technique
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
I know, I know!

NoS = nude-o-scope AKA advanced imaging technology.

I haven't seen it yet at BKK, but I don't use transfer security and I just went through regular security on Sunday.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We have a winner, NudeOScope.

I have a plane to catch but I'll update this later today.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: various
I thought I saw one of these early this year at BKK, but roped off and semi-covered up...clearly not in use. Was it MMW or BKSC? And is it only at C/D transfer security and not also at domestic or intl regular security? For the uninitiated, two types of Nude-o-Scope technology:

MMW = millimeter wave (machine that microwaves you)
BKSC = backscatter (machine that irradiates you)

I'd bet that there will be no "opt-out" if these things are cranked up and the WTMD's aren't operating OR you are unlucky enough to be in the wrong line.

Dsquared--if you can, try to see if they are using as primary or only for secondary, or on some Thai random selection system.

Last edited by jiejie; Sep 26, 2011 at 9:45 pm
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
The installation of these things was announced a few months ago.

Recently they made some changes to them in preparation for full launch

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...bangkok-rescan
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's what I was able to see/figure out.

1) East transfer security (C/D concourses): 4 lanes, the middle two with NoS's, I'm not educated in the ability to discern which is which. The outer two lanes were WTMD only. I went through at 10:45PM. At 12:30AM, as I postulated, only 1 lane was open and it was an NoS lane.

2) West transfer security (D/E/F/G): Can't say I've ever come through here so what i saw could not be the whole story. Unlike the East Security Setup (ESS ) this is on the 2nd floor. Looking down from floor 3 there appeared to only be 2 lanes and 1 NoS. At 4:45AM there was only 1 lane open and it was WTMD.

Since all the *A airlines have their transfer desks in the East area is it possible that there are more transfer security lanes in the East area?

On other notes: going up the escalator to floor 3 there was the ubiquitous security guard chekcing everyone's BP and i simply said 'transfer desk'. She didn't respond and let me continue up the stairs.

Security questions at UA were absurd: They're still going with the 'did you pack your bag yourself/always in your view/did anyone give anything to you' crap. But i also got 'why were you in _____?' And 'Do you have a checked bag?' (that is reasonable enough) which was followed by 'What color is it?', 'Is it soft or hard?', 'Is it large medium or small?' When i because snarky and queried what constitutes each size designation my hassles increased, we shall see how much they increased upon arrival into the US.

If anyone can follow up with the type of detectors used that would be great. I won't be back through until mid-Oct.

I did not go through regular security so can't speak for what they're using there.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
The installation of these things was announced a few months ago.

Recently they made some changes to them in preparation for full launch

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...bangkok-rescan
This article explains why I saw a machine at BKK before (not being used). Also that they are using MMW. However, if the airport authority thinks this is going to speed things up, they are kidding themselves. The Thais need to talk to the Germans, who tested out these things and said "No way." And there are still privacy concerns and (among some of us still) safety concerns.

Given ThisIsThailand, I'm sure with these machines there's a money trail to be followed somewhere...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie

Given ThisIsThailand, I'm sure with these machines there's a money trail to be followed somewhere...
Hammer, meet nail.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
They have been there for a couple of months, what is annoying is the removal of not only belts, shoes, jackets and pocket contents, but they keep insisting there is nothing eg passport or BP, in your hands either. It is a reality jolt after arriving at 5am on the overnighter from downunder, which has been very pleasant in UGd F on the A346 lately, but I notice going home this time has reverted to the 773, such is life.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Please tell me this rubbish is only going to be implemented for flights to Israel, USA and UK.

I can't be stripping twice a month to catch my regional flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.