Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Patong or Phi Phi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Holiday Inn Patong or Phi Phi

I finally managed my dad and sister to accompany us on a international holiday to Thailand.

I have planned, during the end of December:

a) 4 nights in either Holiday Inn Patong (Phuket) or Holiday Inn Phi Phi
b) 3 night in Bangkok over news year eve at the Sheraton GS

Out of the HI Patong or HI Phi Phi, which is more relaxing and peaceful?

The father likes to eat, relax, and dance (all styles except night-club dancing).

I am leaning towards HI Phi Phi, but wanted your thoughts.

I will be using points for the rooms and have plat status with HI.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:15 pm

How old are you, 32? How old is your sister?
Have you been to Patong or Ko Phi Phi before?

Why Patong and not a different beach on Phuket?

If you're 32 and your sister is 23, I think Ko Phi Phi would be more enjoyable.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
How old are you, 32? How old is your sister?
Have you been to Patong or Ko Phi Phi before?

Why Patong and not a different beach on Phuket?

If you're 32 and your sister is 23, I think Ko Phi Phi would be more enjoyable.
The age ranges are about correct - I prefer things a bit more quiet.

I haven't been to Phi Phi (or Thailand). I chose the HI Patong b/c that's the only HI there and I want to redeedm for points.

Have you stayed at the HI in phi phi?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I have stayed in Patong but not at the HI. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort on Phi Phi. There is no comparison between the two locations. Patong is crowded and lively day and night. HI on Phi Phi is the opposite. Bear in mind that the location of HI on Phi Phi is on the deserted side of the island. There is no town, only a couple of resorts and a local restaurant. It is a long boat ride to any night life. Most of your meals will be taken at the resort. The resort has a bar and offers limited entertainment. There is decent snorkeling off the beach at you front door. There are some excursions offered during the day.
All that being said, the HI on Phi Phi is one of the quietest most relaxing and pleasant places I have ever stayed.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgmsteven
I have stayed in Patong but not at the HI. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort on Phi Phi. There is no comparison between the two locations. Patong is crowded and lively day and night. HI on Phi Phi is the opposite. Bear in mind that the location of HI on Phi Phi is on the deserted side of the island. There is no town, only a couple of resorts and a local restaurant. It is a long boat ride to any night life. Most of your meals will be taken at the resort. The resort has a bar and offers limited entertainment. There is decent snorkeling off the beach at you front door. There are some excursions offered during the day.
All that being said, the HI on Phi Phi is one of the quietest most relaxing and pleasant places I have ever stayed.
HI Phi Phi sounds better and better! Which room did you stay in? I will have a garden room (since that's all you get with points).

Was there live music during dinner? I ask so that I can set expectations for my dad. There are reports on Tripadvisor about a band, but I wasn't sure.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by doubled79
I prefer things a bit more quiet.

I haven't been to Phi Phi (or Thailand). I chose the HI Patong b/c that's the only HI there and I want to redeedm for points.
Yeah Patong is known for parties, prostitution and transvestites. The obvious vice is located in just a part of the town and there are plenty of areas that are just fine. However there is plenty of nightlife all around. It's also been several years since I have been there.

I've never been to Ko Phi Phi, but if you're looking for quietness and going with younger sister and father, then I would suggest Ko Phi Phi.

Perhaps stay at Patong Beach for 1 night at the end?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
HI Phi Phi sounds better and better! Which room did you stay in? I will have a garden room (since that's all you get with points).

Was there live music during dinner? I ask so that I can set expectations for my dad. There are reports on Tripadvisor about a band, but I wasn't sure.
We had the garden room also on points. I do not recall about music with dinner. We always took dinner at the local restaurant. Many people do not realize that this area is completely different from the "other" Phi Phi. This area had no damage from the tsunami. This is one of the most beautiful relaxing places I have been.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgmsteven
This is one of the most beautiful relaxing places I have been.
Sounds great! Can't wait to go.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:27 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I've been to both Phi Phi Island and Patong Beach twice.

Holiday Inn Patong Beach is regarded as the best hotel in Patong and one of the top ten in Phuket. We've stayed at the Burasari Resort which is next to the HI in the southern and quite part of Patong. Had lunch at the HI once and it was very nice property. If you want to party, the HI is walking distance to Bangla Rd. but the HI far away enough to get some peace, rest, and sleep day or night.

In addition to being a good base to explore Phuket and the rest of Southern Thailand, Patong is a playground. There are many things to do: shopping, dining, swimming, para-sailing, speed-boating, "banana-boating" , or you can just sit and vegetate at the beach or in the sun at the HI pool. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/page8/

Don't be afraid to go to Bangla Rd. It's just another street but with lots of bars and clubs. Go at least once just to check it out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5397082448/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5396485863/

Phi Phi Island while it is stunning, IMO is also isolated and boring after a while. It is good for a day excursion by express boat as we did. For about THB 1,200 per person, you get RT transportation from/to your hotel, ferry express boat to Phi Phi, stops along the way to snorkel with colorful fish at Maya Bay (where "The Beach" was filmed in 1999), kayaking, snorkeling again, and feeding the monkeys at Ao Ling (Monkey Bay), lunch and tour at Phi Phi Don where you can relax until around 4 PM when it's time to sail back to Phuket. This full day tour (7 am - 7 pm) is highly recommended and lots of fun. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/page6/

http://www.phuket-travel.com/destina...pp_express.htm
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kalboz

Phi Phi Island while it is stunning, IMO is also isolated and boring after a while. It is good for a day excursion by express boat as we did. For about THB 1,200 per person, you get RT transportation from/to your hotel, ferry express boat to Phi Phi, stops along the way to snorkel with colorful fish at Maya Bay (where "The Beach" was filmed in 1999), kayaking, snorkeling again, and feeding the monkeys at Ao Ling (Monkey Bay), lunch and tour at Phi Phi Don where you can relax until around 4 PM when it's time to sail back to Phuket. This full day tour (7 am - 7 pm) is highly recommended and lots of fun. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/page6/

[/url]
Thanks for the detailed reply and for sharing your pictures!

After reading your detailed description, I feel that Phi Phi will be better suited for our family, because it is beautiful and quiet. We just like being able to lounge by the beach, play board games and talk and go out for the occasional meal.

We'll be sure to take a day tour from Phi Phi to Maya bay and the other islands around.

Thanks for sharing the cost of the tour too. The HI wants THB 2700 per person for a roundtrip transfer to Phi Phi from Phuket. I think I could get it for less by booking the transfer separately.

Thanks again,

D~
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:32 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
... I feel that Phi Phi will be better suited for our family, because it is beautiful and quiet. We just like being able to lounge by the beach, play board games and talk and go out for the occasional meal.

We'll be sure to take a day tour from Phi Phi to Maya bay and the other islands around.

Thanks again,

D~
billp has made a short poetic clip about island life (albeit a different island) that convey the same sort of activity you describing above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dLfuJQHqxk

You are very welcome ... I am glad you made your decision.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:17 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Thanks for sharing the cost of the tour too. The HI wants THB 2700 per person for a roundtrip transfer to Phi Phi from Phuket. I think I could get it for less by booking the transfer separately.
You can get a minibus pickup & pubic ferry to Phi Phi for about 700 roundtrip (350 O/W).
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
You can get a minibus pickup & pubic ferry to Phi Phi for about 700 roundtrip (350 O/W).
700 roundtrip! That's wonderful...how do I go about booking it. I found places on the web who want 900 for the ferry and 400 per person for the car.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I would like to know as well, where can I go to book this transportation?

The hotel wants a lot more for the same thing!

I am staying here in November 2017.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No reason to book such transfer in advance. Wait until you get there; in Phuket you will plenty of tour operators, travel agents etc providing this service and it will be much cheaper to book at their office/desk/counter once you get there - no reason to worry about that now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.