Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

AP:BKK street fruit often contaminated, 67% with unsafe level of coliform bacteria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AP:BKK street fruit often contaminated, 67% with unsafe level of coliform bacteria

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM

This is a sad report.

Study: Bangkok street fruit often contaminated

BANGKOK – Fruit buyers, beware.

A survey of the Thai capital's ubiquitous fruit carts that sell snack bags filled with juicy watermelon chunks, papaya slivers and exotic treats such as pickled guava has found the fruit also contains unsafe levels of bacteria and chemicals that help keep it looking fresh in Bangkok's tropical ............
From next time I'll have vendors cut from fresh fruits before my eyes.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by O Sora

This is a sad report.

From next time I'll have vendors cut from fresh fruits before my eyes.
With a contaminated knife.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
And you find this surprising?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:09 pm

From the Finest restaurants in the World to this. Not much differance. Most of us have eaten it all and most of us are still living & relatively healthy. Life goes on & I for one RGAS sir please let me have another cup of that tasty fruit^^
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

A survey of the Thai capital's ubiquitous fruit carts that sell snack bags filled with juicy watermelon chunks, papaya slivers and exotic treats such as pickled guava
Good thing I only eat the mangoes, pineapple and coconuts.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: UAL,CO
I read it in The Nation in BKK a couple of days.
The story there was a little longer and talked about kids exposure to unsafe fruits from the carts.

Is the salted corn safe because it's cooked?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by ThomasBrown
Is the salted corn safe because it's cooked?
Well, it's probably safer. I've always steered clear from the fruit carts, but indulged in corn pretty often and never had a problem.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:02 am

I think that's because corn goes in and comes out mostly unchanged
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
After a total of 5-6 months in Thailand, I've been sick once. A piece of dried squid (I'll try almost anything) and I knew right after I swallowed it that I had a long night ahead....in the head. Something about the taste.
Mostly I eat from the street vendors.
Maybe bad times in Mex and Central America fixed my system years ago.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:13 am

Programs: various
I first lived in Thailand in the 1960's, and the fruit carts were the same back then--enticing but unsanitary. Nothing has changed. Even now, I do what my mom did back then--always buy whole fruit in the market or supermarket, scrub it down and disinfect myself, and cut it up with my own (sanitary/sterilized) knife with my own (sanitary/sterilized) hands. Outer peelings get tossed not eaten. Never been sick from eating fruit or anything else in Thailand. And yes, I eat street food, though selectively. I loathe the thought of all night prayer sessions to the porcelain god, and go to lengths to avoid them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.