Search

Best optician in Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Question Best optician in Bangkok?

I have been to Bangkok many times and know that opticians are plentiful but;

Does anyone have a recommendation for a great optician in Bangkok?
I need an eye exam, new glasses and sun glasses.

All inputs and suggestions will be much appreciated ^

Cheers
Stein
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:07 am
r-7

Programs: TG / UA / SPG
Try following:
Rutnin eye hospital - this is one of the top eye hospital in Bangkok (http://www.rutnin.com/eng/)

or you can try one of Bangkok's first class hospital which has eye care division such as www.samitivejhospitals.com or www.bumrungrad.com .

However if you don't have any serious eye issue then I think any optical shop in high end mall. ex: paragon.....will be just fine.

Hope this help....
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:20 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Be careful that you are seeing a professional and not just being sat in front of several pieces of fancy equipment.

I paid 3000THB for a eye exam and a new perscription at Bumrungrad hospital. It wasn't worth a dollar.

The perscription was incorrect. I used it to purchase 6 pairs of eye glasses. I had to pay for a second set of lenses for all the glasses that I had made from that faulty perscription.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Better Vission

Better Vision is the chain i use,there in most malls. had pairs made in CNX Chiang Mai and shipped to their HKT Pucket outlet. had eye tests done on sight(sic) their test matched my $75 Canadian prescription plus had their glasses tested in Canada they were correct
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I don't know much about BKK optical shops, but look to see if they have an autorefractor. You sit in front of a machine, the picture looks blurry, they press a button, and the picture is now automatically in focus. The autorefractor spits out your prescription and even licensed optometrists now just "verify" the autorefractor prescription.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I paid 3000THB for a eye exam and a new perscription at Bumrungrad hospital. It wasn't worth a dollar. The perscription was incorrect.
Yikes, Sean, I would have expected better from Bumrungrad. Think it's just ophthalmology?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:07 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I think it's the stupid machines mentioned above. Maybe if you have just simple near/farsightedness they are ok. But you should really see a professional.

Any of the doctors (MDs) I've seen have been highly qualified. I expected more from BH too, and now go to BNH when it's important. Over the years I've been to several hospitals in BKK, with little to complain about (other than their pharmacy prices compared to outside the hospital price).

I took the new glasses (that I couldn't see clearly with) and the perscription to my opthomologist at home to find out who made the mistake. Basically, if the persription was the same as the glasses, the perscription was faulty. But if the persrciption and the glasses I made from them were not the same, then I could assume that the perscription was correct and the eyeglass shop didn't make them to the right specification. However, the glasses were all exactly as the perscription was. Hundreds of dollars worth of wasted dough.

Fortunately, I'd been getting glasses done at the same place for years though, so the redo-ing of my lenses with my new perscription didn't cost me too much (appx 1900 per pair + extra for transition sunglass addition). Cheaper than home, even after the 2nd set of lenses.

Taught me a lesson though. Now I pay to check my eyes at home and bring the new 'script with me.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Thanks for your replies ^

It seems I`ll bring a script from my Optician and have galsses made from it in Bangkok.

Cheers
Stein
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hi,

is there an area in BKK where there are several opticians with reduced prices frames that they can have the glasses made within one hour?

Thanks,
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An hour is a pretty short time-frame, but I have seen this done. It really depends on the frame choices and prescription. No shop stocks every manufacturer/size/option (lens), so you're looking at least an off-site order/delivery process. And there are a gazillion places selling 300 baht pre-fabbed eyeglasses, obviously that's a bit of a try-it, buy it if it looks OK.

Last edited by transpac; Nov 21, 2016 at 7:23 pm
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by transpac
An hour is a pretty short time-frame, but I have seen this done. It really depends on the frame choices and prescription. No shop stocks every manufacturer/size/option (lens), so you're looking at least an off-site order/delivery process. And there are a gazillion places selling 300 baht pre-fabbed eyeglasses, obviously that's a bit of a try-it, buy it if it looks OK.
Thanks transpac!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zenni delivers to Thailand.

Some shops do stock standard lenses, and can turn around frames/glasses in a few hours; I've seen that done for friends.

I can recommend a shop if you need one; but it is very, very popular with Thais and it is often very busy.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
Zenni delivers to Thailand.

Some shops do stock standard lenses, and can turn around frames/glasses in a few hours; I've seen that done for friends.

I can recommend a shop if you need one; but it is very, very popular with Thais and it is often very busy.
Thanks very muchtranspac!

I would appreciate if you could send me a pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.