Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:03 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I must give kudos to TG for allowing upgrades on award tickets. It really is a good proposition all round.

For the pax it means that you get to upgrade at a fair (though not especially inexpensive) price. You can upgrade even if award availability was lacking in the higher class (as was my case). And you can upgrade specific legs rather than a whole ticket.

For TG, who would be carrying you in a lower class anyway, it means that they get a nice slug of revenue to carry you in a seat that would have been empty anyway a bit further forward in the plane. Essentially for the price of possible lounge access and a bit more expensive catering they get paid quite handsomely: you can buy a lot of catering for $825!

What impresses me about this is that TG have thought through the financial benefits to themselves. IME most airlines would just balk at the notion of allowing any latitude on an award ticket.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Yes, as you say it's a good deal for both TG and the passenger who wants to upgrade. I wish more airlines did it like TG does. Even the catering costs are arguably not any higher because I think normally the meals are ordered and prepared well in advance of the plane's departure and in most cases a last minute standby upgrader won't generate the need for any extra meals. They always load extra meals, especially for business/first class and will just do with one less extra meal. So for TG their only cost is the extra mileage that you'll earn on the standby upgrade.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, QF Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, AMEX Plat
Thumbs up update on my experience

I mentioned I was going to try the standby upgrade from BKK-DPS. I did so and followed the hints given by some of you here in this thread. Happy to report all worked fine. It is a slightly slow process but after going to the Royal Silk counters at BKK I was asked to wait about half an hour (there had been an aircraft change) and then when it was certain they had a seat I went to the ticketing desk to pay by CC - the cost was 8,800baht... which is more or less US$250 as per the chart provided.

I enjoyed the flight and as I was feeling quite tired the comfort was very welcome.

On the way back I decided to stick with Y. It was a fairly light load so I had plenty of space. I'd like to have u/g again but with a lack of expendable funds I resisted the temptations.

I agree this service is really worthwhile doing if you can afford the extra or make a last minute decision to fly in a higher class. I'd certainly be doing it on long haul any time.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:01 am

Any one know if I can do an upgrade on AC flight no. code-share operated by TG from BKK to HKG? BTW is the price list on the first post still current? So on arrival at the airport, I should go the ticket counter first before check-in or can I do it at the check-in counter? Many thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
how far in advance can you do this? flying c lhr to sydney...so the upgrade would be 870 usd if i upgraded lhr to bkk ( am on a 777 300 bkk to syd so there isnt any f)...would we get to use the f lounge if we were flying in on f and out on c? ?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:55 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by irish mark
how far in advance can you do this? flying c lhr to sydney...so the upgrade would be 870 usd if i upgraded lhr to bkk ( am on a 777 300 bkk to syd so there isnt any f)...would we get to use the f lounge if we were flying in on f and out on c? ?

Yes you would get to access the F lounge and use the F spa too! ^
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Any one know if I can do an upgrade on AC flight no. code-share operated by TG from BKK to HKG? BTW is the price list on the first post still current? So on arrival at the airport, I should go the ticket counter first before check-in or can I do it at the check-in counter? Many thanks.
Hi Clipper801, sounds to me as if it's a TG flight on AC paper, so just check in at the F section, and ask for an upgrade to F, assuming you are flying C, if Y, hop into the business section. They will either process it themselves or direct you to the desk to the right along the front wall as you enter. Check your flights first, HKG only has a B747 and a 346 if you want F, and the A346 is the one to get. If the price has altered it would be mentioned in this thread.

Hi irish mark, it's a standy upgrade and available at the airport on the day of your flight and YES, you will be able to use the lounge and the buggy, regards bkkrop
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:07 am

cheers....i'll be flying in from dublin the night before a morning flight..wonder if they would do it then....ahaaa forgot that the lhr to bkk will be on an a340 by the time i'm flying so f is smaller...will try anyhows
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:10 am

can you do standby upgrades with lh? on lh fra to bkk rtn in a few weeks...it would be nice to fly f on the way back and use the new first lounge (not the fct as i dont think i can use it if im in transit to dub)
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Hi Clipper801, sounds to me as if it's a TG flight on AC paper, so just check in at the F section, and ask for an upgrade to F, assuming you are flying C, if Y, hop into the business section. They will either process it themselves or direct you to the desk to the right along the front wall as you enter. Check your flights first, HKG only has a B747 and a 346 if you want F, and the A346 is the one to get. If the price has altered it would be mentioned in this thread.

Hi irish mark, it's a standy upgrade and available at the airport on the day of your flight and YES, you will be able to use the lounge and the buggy, regards bkkrop
Many thanks!

I am booked in economy and look to do a stanby upgrade to business. I am AC Star Gold. According to TG's web site, I should alight near Entrance 4/5 to use Check In Rows H/J. I shall try to request the standby upgrade at the check in counter first.

I am flying TG600 which is scheduled with a 747.

Last edited by Clipper801; Mar 14, 2009 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:28 pm

Regarding miles, I upgraded an BD award from Y to J BKK-MNL at 8800 TBH. I had to put in a retro claim, but did receive full business class mileage in SAS Eurobonus.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by view
Regarding miles, I upgraded an BD award from Y to J BKK-MNL at 8800 TBH. I had to put in a retro claim, but did receive full business class mileage in SAS Eurobonus.
How did you do that? SAS EuroBonus declined to post C miles for my paid upgrade from a paid economy - just got 25% for S-class!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:08 am

I guess I must have been lucky then, seems there is no consenus on this mileage earning on upgrades.

Perhaps they had to change the booking class on my award, it was credited as C class in EB (not a restricted fare) when I put in the retroclaim.

Did you have to claim yours?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:40 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Did a V->C upgrade Friday morning MEL-BKK last week. Cost was USD 695 = AUD 1102

For a while it wasn't looking bright as they couldn't get their CC swipe machine to work. They suggested I go to an ATM and pull the money then pay in cash. I asked if they'd discount the ATM fees from the price. Eventually they got it working but it is amazing they have no backup system like manual swipe or something. C was mostly empty.

Points haven't posted as of yet.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:49 am

Just a note of caution - the standby upgrade works only with certain fare. The price difference may actually be cheaper and presumably at check-in, if I change my mind to fly business instead of economy, TG will only charge me the lower of the actual fare difference or the standby upgrade charge.

Example (based on Expedia.com today):
Bangkok to Hong Kong - one way
Economy US$444
Business US$572

The fare difference is US$128

The standby upgrade price is US$190

On the other hand, I can get CI business class for cheaper than TG economy at Zuji.

Last edited by Clipper801; Mar 16, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.