Crown Prince Flies for Charity

Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Crown Prince Flies for Charity

http://www.bangkokpost.net/breaking_....php?id=115773

(Picture on the main page --> http://www.bangkokpost.net/ )

(Waiting for T-K's comments. )

Crown Prince flies for charity

(BangkokPost.com from agency reports)

His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn put his commercial pilot training to charitable use today when he captained a Thai Airways International Boeing 737-400 jet from Bangkok to Chiang Mai to raise funds for victims of violence in the deep South.

On board the charity flight, on which seats sold for an estimated 1 million baht ($27,777), was his Royal Consort HRH Princess Srirasmi and his daughter Princess Sirivannasari Nariratana.

An illustrious list of Thai high society occupied the passengers' seats, starting with Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin. The heiress of the Thai Rath media fortune Praneetsin Watcharaphol and Lersak Sombatsiri, owner of the posh Park Nai Lert Raffles Hotel, were among the leading hi-so personalities.

The group was to overnight in Chiang Mai and return to Bangkok on Saturday.

"This flight has raised 80 million baht in donations," said Gen Surayud before boarding the plane at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The government plans to use the money to buy new equipment for hospitals in the deep South, where a separatist struggle has claimed more than 1,900 lives in the past three years.

The Crown Prince is an accomplished pilot, starting from his instruction jet and also including the F-5 and later F-16 fighter of the Thai Air Force, and a range of Airbus and Boeing commercial jets.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: TG -*Gold, AF-Silver, Asia Miles, BA-Silver, AMEX Green-MR
No comment since it's related to the Royal Household.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: AMC - Platinum, ROP - Silver
Red face

.....keep my mouth shut.....
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:41 am

Programs: Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by skyrider007
No comment since it's related to the Royal Household.
Why?
I don't see the connection.
Is flyertalk a royalistic forum?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
Originally Posted by hein
Why?
I don't see the connection.
Is flyertalk a royalistic forum?
Thai people have a great respect for the King and royal family. For those of us who are not Thai, but have some strong connection with Thailand, such as married to a Thai national, etc., we tend to treat them with the same level of respect. The Thai monarchy is one of the most beloved in all the world and may be difficult to understand for those who don't have much experience in Thailand and in dealing with Thais.

Regarding the flight, 1 million Baht for only 500 miles...that has to be one of the worst mileage deals around.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:04 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
The thing I found strange about this venture was how quickly it all went off.

Seemed like Thai people were talking about it, then it hit the papers. No more than 2 weeks later, it was all history.

In the western world, they'd stretch it out. Publicity, preperation, etc. I heard some Thai HiSo turned the oportunity down, but they still got 80 contributors rather quickly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.