Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tsunami Hits Phuket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Tsunami Hits Phuket

Wow cannot believe newsflash 32ft waves crash into phuket. Was planning trip for dec but put back to jan-april my prayers go out to all. Could not have happened at worse time.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:47 am
Original Poster

News just keeps getting worse phi phi island totally devastated, tour boats missing,having been to many of these places this is truly devastating news. Never expected anything like this to happen.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Tsunami also hit Penang in Malaysia. Up to 15 people dead there. The tidal wave hit all the coastal resorts with water coming right up into the lobby areas of some hotel.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 6:49 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Anyone know whether the Marriott in Phuket was badly affected? We were supposed to be there but my parents decided to visit us in Japan and we cancelled....lucky I guess....
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Wandering if Thai, or Orient Thai, airlines have announced any emergency plans to fly people out of Phuket. Seems like many people at airport ,many without money or id but wanting to get back to Bangkok.

Many photos showing from folks in area on nana plaza website major damage down there.

Also will govt commandeer planes.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
... and what about Ao Nang, Krabi?

We want to go there in 10 days from now.
This is so sad for all people, I still can´t believe it... God bless!

F.R.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:07 pm

Prayers for all affected. I love Thailand and South East Asia. How horrible.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:22 pm

Programs: Free at last!
I left my home in Phuket a week ago for the holidays ... elsewhere.

Several years ago, the Phuket Gazette had a front page story reporting the view that Patong Beach was highly susceptible to Tsunamis. The scientist was ridiculed by the authorities, who felt his message was bad for business.

I am so angry right now. The tourists were like lambs to the slaughter.

I am afraid the Marriott (where I stay frequently) would have been impacted. We can only hope someone was awake and evacuated the pool and beach areas in time.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Phuket photos

Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
... and what about Ao Nang, Krabi?

We want to go there in 10 days from now.
This is so sad for all people, I still can´t believe it... God bless!

F.R.
I have a couple of friends living on Ao Nang. There has been reports that wave surges carried cars right up from the beach to inland Krabi, so I would think Ao Nang would be affected as well. Ao Nang faces the Andaman sea... and with limited communication, it is very difficult to know how badly everything is affected.

This is Phuket's extent of damage. Click on the first picture titiled "Tidal Wave" for updated pictures

http://www.soieasy.com/modules.php?name=Pictures
Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:27 pm

Programs: SAS EBD, IHG Spire, HH Diamond, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Platinum
Terrible

Many of my business associates live in the affected countries. Luckily they do not live in the catastrophy areas.

My boss is in Langkawi, Malaysia at the moment. Will call him first thing tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if Langkawi has suffered from this as well?

May all the people who lost their lives rest in peace...
Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JabbaJabba
Many of my business associates live in the affected countries. Luckily they do not live in the catastrophy areas.

My boss is in Langkawi, Malaysia at the moment. Will call him first thing tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if Langkawi has suffered from this as well?

May all the people who lost their lives rest in peace...
Yes. See http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...hre&sec=latest
Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Nation newspaper reporting the Kings Grandson amongst missing in Pattaya.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Phuket not Pattaya sorry.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Who would have thought a major 9-scale earthquake north of Sumatra, Indonesia could have had such a devastating effect in such a wide area. I am very saddened, and scared, to see so many places hit by tsunami, especially 2/3 of Male, Maldives was inundated. I wonder how the other Maldivian atolls are doing? The recent earthquakes in the Far East have made me very apprehensive about all natural disasters in the future.

Last edited by jazzhou; Dec 26, 2004 at 6:11 pm
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by jazzhou
Who would have thought a major 9-scale earthquake north of Sumatra, Indonesia could have had such a devastating effect in such a wide area. I am very saddened, and scared, to see so many places hit by tsunami, especially 2/3 of Male, Maldives was inundated. I wonder how the other Maldivian atolls are doing? The recent earthquakes in the Far East have made me very apprehensive about all natural disasters in the future.

I read somewhere that the highest point in the Maldives is only 8 ft above sea level to that can't be good for them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.