Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ben on ticket Benjamin on passport

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Ben on ticket Benjamin on passport

Hey there, I just booked a flight start July from London to Sydney via Expedia on Thai Airways.

As a monumental mistake I booked my ticket as Ben rather than Benjamin as on my passport.

I've checked it out, seems like I might be ok and might not. Also read that if you ask for a name correction within 24 hours, you might be ok.
Problem is I can't get hold of anyone at Thai Airways.

I'm actually contemplating just changing my name by deedpoll and getting a new passport, as I'm certain I can do that in time worst case.

Any suggestions on what to do/if I'll be ok? Flying first, booked on Expedia at a pretty good price.

Thanks
Old May 27, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Have you rung expedia they could potentially be able to help. Proper names on passports is a big deal, but Ben vs Benjamin is something that may be ok - may depend on who you get on the day
Old May 27, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
THAI won't work with your ticket since Expedia has issued it and is consider to be the travel agent. As above, contact Expedia. You could expect to pay a small fee.

Any reason why you didn't book directly with THAI? I see the one-way fare for a a random August date in discounted First Class (P) was GBP 2600 for an adult.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
THAI won't work with your ticket since Expedia has issued it and is consider to be the travel agent. As above, contact Expedia. You could expect to pay a small fee.

Any reason why you didn't book directly with THAI? I see the one-way fare for a a random August date in discounted First Class (P) was GBP 2600 for an adult.
Simply because everytime I searched for fares on the website I wouldn't get a response, just a blank page.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wtcmor
Have you rung expedia they could potentially be able to help. Proper names on passports is a big deal, but Ben vs Benjamin is something that may be ok - may depend on who you get on the day
I feel incredibly stupid not even trying to contact Expedia, it's like I had a brain freeze yesterday and just attempted to contact Thai by any means possible. Right now on hold with Expedia, they definitely do same day corrections without an issue, so double whammy on my stupidity. If they want silly money, I need to decide whether it's worth the risk (almost certainly not) or actually changing my name. I never use Benjamin anyway, but it's a LOT of work for such a stupid mistake. Worst nightmare is arriving, not being allowed to board and having to buy a likely full price fair so I can travel with my little boy!
Old May 28, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
It might be 24 hour rule pas opposed to same day rule when did you book
Old May 28, 2017, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Simply because everytime I searched for fares on the website I wouldn't get a response, just a blank page.
Worked fine for me... perhaps a browser issue?

Anyways, hope it all works out! You ticket should be cancellable and you could buy another if a name change his not possible - ask about the costs for that too.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 15.48.13.png
Views: 1921
Size:  121.0 KB
Old May 28, 2017, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
As a monumental mistake I booked my ticket as Ben rather than Benjamin as on my passport.

I've checked it out, seems like I might be ok and might not.
You'll be fine; worry about the important stuff!

Originally Posted by wtcmor
Proper names on passports is a big deal, but Ben vs Benjamin is something that may be ok - may depend on who you get on the day
Proper names is apparently far less of a big deal than one might think.

See (just as an example)
Name typo on a ticket - call the airline or not?

I've had a variety of random muddled names on tickets; if the surname is right and the first 3 letters of the first name match, I doubt any agent is going to notice, much less care.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Worked fine for me... perhaps a browser issue?

Anyways, hope it all works out! You ticket should be cancellable and you could buy another if a name change his not possible - ask about the costs for that too.
Thank you so much for all the help.

Bizarrely enough, it works fine now on the same browser. I can get the same flight for about Ł200 more than I paid, which I would have definitely done if I could have.

Just spoken to someone at Expedia, they don't seem to think it's an issue and have put me back on hold whilst they contact Thai. My fingers are crossed!
Old May 28, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I would worry much more if I fly from or to the USA with a misspelling of my Name. At least in BKK I would not worry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.