Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai and Eva Checked baggage

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Thai and Eva Checked baggage

I am struggling to get clear answers out of Thai air (or any so far from EVA).

I have a London / Bangkok / Chiang Mai return booked with EVA on the long haul and Thai air on the domestic leg.

Outbound isnt crucial but on the return I have a tight connection in bangkok, I would very much like Thai Airways to check the bags all the way through or even check me in for both flights and allow me to stay airside.

I have been refused this earlier in the year because my tickets were booked separately. But Thai airways is saying I must ask at check in, however they told me to ask the eva staff when its Thai air check in so not confident they are really understanding, its too important to leave it to maybe.

As both are star alliance members can I check in once and stay airside ??

Failing that, do Thai air check bags through from Chiang Mai to EVA for London (I can clear customs in BKK in the time I have) ??

I usually use BA and Bangkok air for this route, and in that setup I can stay check through when I book the entire ticket on BAs site, but not if I use BA and Bangkok air sites individually.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: BRK-B
Originally Posted by PhatPhreddy
I am struggling to get clear answers out of Thai air (or any so far from EVA).

I have a London / Bangkok / Chiang Mai return booked with EVA on the long haul and Thai air on the domestic leg.

Outbound isnt crucial but on the return I have a tight connection in bangkok, I would very much like Thai Airways to check the bags all the way through or even check me in for both flights and allow me to stay airside.

I have been refused this earlier in the year because my tickets were booked separately. But Thai airways is saying I must ask at check in, however they told me to ask the eva staff when its Thai air check in so not confident they are really understanding, its too important to leave it to maybe.

As both are star alliance members can I check in once and stay airside ??

Failing that, do Thai air check bags through from Chiang Mai to EVA for London (I can clear customs in BKK in the time I have) ??

I usually use BA and Bangkok air for this route, and in that setup I can stay check through when I book the entire ticket on BAs site, but not if I use BA and Bangkok air sites individually.
BA normally refuse check-through.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Noppasit
BA normally refuse check-through.
Yeah thats my experience with BA unless the entire ticket booked through them.

Really trying to get a feel for my chances on the return so Thai doing to through to Eva, another Star alliance member..

I have 1h 40 mins connection, normally enough, for sure enough if checked through.. Bit tight if getting bags and doing customs. I know Swampy really well so can hop the fastest A to B there if it comes to it. All is drama free if check through and staying airside is an option.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
you do not tell us whether you are in J or Y (on EVA)!
Old May 22, 2017, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

economy.. Permium eco was full and wasnt stumping for biz.

I dont see anywhere on the ticketing any references to either J or Y ??
Old May 23, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
for the return flight, TG will likely check through your bags in Chiang Mai so that you can stay airside and clear immigration in Chiang Mai
Old May 23, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
My experience with TG at CNX is very good in respect to check through to final destination when on separate tickets. Admittedly this was TG to TG flights at BKK, but I doubt it will make any difference that you connect to a BR flight.

The staff at CNX is very experienced in dealing with pax who purchase a single/separate domestic ticket to connect to a flight out of BKK (I think it happens every day/multible times a day). This is not BA; this is TG and with a smile and polite request you will probably get your bags tagged to final destination. I wouldn't be concerned about this.

Most likely you will have to collect your BR BP at BKK transfer desk but you will get a C.I.Q sticker at CNX to allow you to proceed directly to departures level at BKK upon arrival from CNX and to clear immigration at CNX (rather than BKK).
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
Similar question, hence pulling up the thread.

Asking on behalf of my mother who is debating LHR-BKK with BR and BKK-HAN with TG, but on separate tickets and in J (It's a good total fare, but I am skeptical of the transfer)

She would have 1h 45mins between flights. She would like to check bags through and avoid immigration.

I believe BR would be able to interline her luggage all the way through to HAN (*A benefit). But I don't believe they will be able to issue a BP for her, she would have to do that at the TG transfer counter (provided she can OCLI)?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
They are capable of doing it but if they choose to do it is another point. Separate tickets aren't entitled to it but a good customer service gesture for a J passenger would be to do so. Otherwise it's too short of a time.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bowzer91
She would have 1h 45mins between flights. She would like to check bags through and avoid immigration.
That is absolutely a doable connection, but would be a bit tight for me on separate tix. If she's going to do it, be sure and check the fare rules on that TG ticket, specifically whether it retains value on a no-show.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
They are capable of doing it but if they choose to do it is another point. Separate tickets aren't entitled to it but a good customer service gesture for a J passenger would be to do so. Otherwise it's too short of a time.
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is absolutely a doable connection, but would be a bit tight for me on separate tix. If she's going to do it, be sure and check the fare rules on that TG ticket, specifically whether it retains value on a no-show.
Thank you both! I’ve checked fare rules and the ticket would indeed retain value.

I will check with BR Heathrow to see what they say.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bowzer91
Thank you both! I’ve checked fare rules and the ticket would indeed retain value.

I will check with BR Heathrow to see what they say.
Just note that the official answer (from BR in this case) can be different to what happens on the day! So it is all about appetite for risk.

Not sure why you think it is a *A ‘benefit’ for checking bags through on separate tickets. It isn’t afaik, and interline agreements are pertinent to single PNR journeys with multiple carrier. So, it really depends on the carrier and their ‘flex’ as to whether they will do this.

In practise, THAI are actually pretty generous in this regard - even checking bags through on separate tix with non-alliance carriers.
Yoshi212 and Tokyoite like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There is no point in asking BR in advance about this. Most likely the answer will be "No" but it will entirely depend on the LHR check-in agent that you/your mother approach on the day of traveling - he/she may do it if asked nicely.

I second the above comments about no *A benefit like this, but being in J I deem that there is a fair chance that bags will be checked to final destination - no first hand experience though. If bags are not checked to final destination there will not be much time to clear immigration, to pickup bags and proceed upstairs to TG check-in counters before check-in closes - it is doable, but there is no room for delay of incoming flight or excessive lines at immigration (both which can occur).

You should have posted this Q in the Eva Air forum - it doesn't relate to TG as you check-in with BR at LHR.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Not sure why you think it is a *A ‘benefit’ for checking bags through on separate tickets. It isn’t afaik, and interline agreements are pertinent to single PNR journeys with multiple carrier. So, it really depends on the carrier and their ‘flex’ as to whether they will do this.
Agree, it's not a published benefit, but it is the policy of most *A carriers to interline to *A partners on separate tix.

That said, here is BR's published policy:
EVA AIR will tag your baggage to the destination of the EVA Air ticket(s) ONLY. When you arrive at the airport, please claim your baggage and go to next carrier’s check-in counter for recheck-in. Thank you for your understanding.
I find this rather surprising, as most of the mainline Asian carriers are pretty generous about interlining on separate tix.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree, it's not a published benefit, but it is the policy of most *A carriers to interline to *A partners on separate tix.

That said, here is BR's published policy:
I find this rather surprising, as most of the mainline Asian carriers are pretty generous about interlining on separate tix.
TG is good in this regard.

But ‘...most *A carriers’ ??
And the list of *A carriers who will as a matter of published policy ??

Certainly not Air NZ......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.