Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

cheking bags through - TG J ICN-BKK-OSL // SK Y OSL-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Hi all,

Mrs TK and I are flying ICN-BKK-OSL return in J. We were unable to make it all the way to LHR using points/GUP, so have a separate Y fare (SAS Go) on SK OSL-LHR return.

Does anyone have any recent experience whether TG will check the bags through to LHR? We do have plenty of time in the event they can't do this to collect bags and enter Norway and then immediately check in for departure (around 6 hours due to scheduling).

It appears possible from this thread, but the transit point was CDG and not OSL:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...k-cdg-osl.html
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Admittedly, I have no first hand experience with TG at ICN, but in general TG is very good at checking luggage to final destination even when on separate tickets - it has been confirmed several times in this forum and TG has done so for me in Thailand in the past.

I don't think you will face any issues but as always it is up to the agent you approach at ICN. Show you onward SK ticket to LHR and hopefully the agent is prepared to do a little additional PC typing.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Admittedly, I have no first hand experience with TG at ICN, but in general TG is very good at checking luggage to final destination even when on separate tickets - it has been confirmed several times in this forum and TG has done so for me in Thailand in the past.

I don't think you will face any issues but as always it is up to the agent you approach at ICN. Show you onward SK ticket to LHR and hopefully the agent is prepared to do a little additional PC typing.
We actually have a long stop in BKK arrive 1330, depart 00:55 -(nearly 12 hours), so will depart the airport for downtown to see friends. We could just check bags to BKK, and then check in again with the SK check-through request with the staff in BKK.

My experience in Korea is that 'rules' are followed and not much flexibility exists.

No issues on the reutren from LHR as we stay the night in Oslo prior to heading home on TG.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
As stated above I doubt you will face the same issues at BKK as apparently is the situation at ICN. Good luck!

Anyway, even if you have to collect bags at OSL it is not a disaster. It is fairly quick and painless to retrieve your bags and you just proceed through customs and take the escalator one level up to the departure hall. I think it will take you around 10-15 min.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Anyway, even if you have to collect bags at OSL it is not a disaster. It is fairly quick and painless to retrieve your bags and you just proceed through customs and take the escalator one level up to the departure hall. I think it will take you around 10-15 min.
depends a bit whether the OP is Schengen citizen or not. immigration lines for Non Schengen at many European Airports is getting longer and longer...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
depends a bit whether the OP is Schengen citizen or not. immigration lines for Non Schengen at many European Airports is getting longer and longer...
Not a Schengen citizen. I think we will collect bags in BKK anyway, and see what happens when we check back in at 2300. Worst case is we spend some of our 6 hours entering/departing Norway...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Not a Schengen citizen. I think we will collect bags in BKK anyway, and see what happens when we check back in at 2300. Worst case is we spend some of our 6 hours entering/departing Norway...
6 hours are certainly sufficient and I do not know immigration in Oslo. just the last two times I arrived from Asia in the early morning hours at FRA and ZRH the lines for non Schengen were extremely long!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I transited OSL eight times last year, seven on either SK and once on TK. Arriving on SK, there was a longer line for EU than non-EU, with those of us at the back of the EU line eventually being processed by the empty non-EU kiosks. TK was different and I was early off but it certainly was only a handful of people by the time I got through.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Regarding immigration in oslo it is very dependent upon arrival & departure times of your flights. Arriving from BKK you are either very lucky (only non-schengen arrival) or you might also arrive together with QR and/or the SK flight from Miami. If all three arrive around the same time waiting times can be much longer.

On departure, the TG flight can also coincide with a number of long haul departures - always EK, but sometimes several others including up to two Norwegian ones, Pegasus to Istanbul, some uk/Irish ones too. Waiting times can be extensive (note this also applies for your LHR flights but it depends on which one you're on). I've seen the queue stretch all the way to the (now gone?) Upper Crust and that is far. FYI when you head upstairs to the lounge there is a screen on your left as you come up the stairs showing the lines at immigration. This will give you a guideline, but do check which other flights are departing around the same time as yours. The non-schengen part of the terminal is small and can get very full at times. They are in the process of remodelling it but I do not know when this will be done, and they have also got more immigration officers than before.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Regarding immigration in oslo it is very dependent upon arrival & departure times of your flights. Arriving from BKK you are either very lucky (only non-schengen arrival) or you might also arrive together with QR and/or the SK flight from Miami. If all three arrive around the same time waiting times can be much longer.

On departure, the TG flight can also coincide with a number of long haul departures - always EK, but sometimes several others including up to two Norwegian ones, Pegasus to Istanbul, some uk/Irish ones too. Waiting times can be extensive (note this also applies for your LHR flights but it depends on which one you're on). I've seen the queue stretch all the way to the (now gone?) Upper Crust and that is far. FYI when you head upstairs to the lounge there is a screen on your left as you come up the stairs showing the lines at immigration. This will give you a guideline, but do check which other flights are departing around the same time as yours. The non-schengen part of the terminal is small and can get very full at times. They are in the process of remodelling it but I do not know when this will be done, and they have also got more immigration officers than before.
Cheers all. if not Gold Track then I have other means of fast track arrival/departure - so hopefully we can minimise waiting in line
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Arriving on SK, there was a longer line for EU than non-EU, with those of us at the back of the EU line eventually being processed by the empty non-EU kiosks.
instead of dedicated lines to "non-EU" (which means USA, Afghanistan etc.), most European Airports have lines for EU/Schengen and for "all passports". So as citizen from a EU country, you can also queue there, if the queue is Shorter.
In FRA for example there are also automatic passport checks for immigration, where you scan your passport and a photo is taken. This also speeds up Things a lot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.