Interlining between Austrian and Thai

Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Interlining between Austrian and Thai

Was going to fly TG F from FRA to BKK but suddenly discovered there are on three seats left instead of the four I need.

Now looking at options of TG G from LHR or CDG.

If fly Austrian Airlines from Vienna to LHR or CDG, will Austrian Airlines check my luggage through at either airports. Both will involve a change in terminals so I am a bit nervous about this.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
yes they will check luggage through, usually even if the flights are not on same ticket; in FRA would also be a terminal change...
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:32 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
CDG - as a legacy of the OS-AF code-share agreement, OS operates to/from AF T2, while TG uses T1. Transfer is a nightmare.

LHR - both airlines operate out of the same *A T2.
​​​​​​

​​​
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
CDG - as a legacy of the OS-AF code-share agreement, OS operates to/from AF T2, while TG uses T1. Transfer is a nightmare.​​​​​​
had a Transfer in CDG from TG to LX last year. Was quite smooth; around 10 minutes from Arrival gate to SEN Lounge through security
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
usually even if the flights are not on same ticket;
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

The did not check our luggage through on

VIE - MXP
VIE - ZRH

continuing to Bangkok with TG on a seperate ticket.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by ctrlf
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

The did not check our luggage through on

VIE - MXP
VIE - ZRH

continuing to Bangkok with TG on a seperate ticket.
what class did you fly?
did you ask for check through?
did you show print out of your flight to BKK, was it on same itinerary?
did they reject and tell any reason?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:42 am

OS is listed on TG's website as an interline partner. I believe all Star Alliance carriers interline with one another these days, if I am not mistaken.

Be sure to allow ample connection time, and that separatly purchased tickets constitute a "legal" connection.

Sometimes check-in agents aren't entirely competent. To make the process easier, I fly with a printed out copy of the itinerary to which I am connecting. Showing this to the agent, and citing the interline baggage agreement, should work to get the bags checked through.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 13, 2017 at 1:21 am
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
@MikeFromTokyo - interlining agreements generally apply only and only to the same PNR. Other than that, it is entirely to the each airline to decide whether to check through or not. The length of the layover plays often significant role - as soon as it seems to be risky, they won't do that, because they would be responsible for lost/delayed luggage...

@ctrlf and @BinSabai - had the similar experience even when the connection was not tight (see above)...

Unfortunately, it looks that airlines are more and more opting to not to "check through" (I am avoiding the term "interline" on purpose, because the term relates only and only to single ticket) on different tickets to protect themselves against all possible implications of missed connections...
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:31 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
A few months ago went OS/OS/TG AMS-VIE-BKK-SYD on single ticket with shortened 40 min VIE transfer. No worries at all and bag turned up at SYD. Just said SYD was final destination. Couldn't have been easier.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by og
A few months ago went OS/OS/TG AMS-VIE-BKK-SYD on single ticket with shortened 40 min VIE transfer. No worries at all and bag turned up at SYD. Just said SYD was final destination. Couldn't have been easier.
on single ticket is the magic!!! That usually works, particularly in VIE (done that too on extremely tight PRG-VIE and then -BKK-MEL), but otherwise? Not so sure...
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
[LEFT]@MikeFromTokyo - interlining agreements generally apply only and only to the same PNR. Other than that, it is entirely to the each airline to decide whether to check through or not. The length of the layover plays often significant role - as soon as it seems to be risky, they won't do that, because they would be responsible for lost/delayed luggage...
That makes sense. It has always worked for me with separate LH tickets, but that is probably because I had more than enough connection time.

Can the OP reticket to get the VIE segment on the same PNR? Otherwise, it sounds like the OP should allow substantial connection time between the OS and TG flights - enough time to collect and re-check bags if necessary- and then just hope that he/she will be able to check the bags through at VIE.

Depending on price difference and how pressed I were for time, at a certain point I would consider just flying directly from VIE-BKK on OS in J. It isn't TG F, but it is a very nice J product with good food, would save hours of travel time, and not involve a connection at a user unfriendly airport like LHR or CDG.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 13, 2017 at 5:17 am
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:06 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
had a Transfer in CDG from TG to LX last year. Was quite smooth; around 10 minutes from Arrival gate to SEN Lounge through security
We are talking about a different airline here: LX uses T1 (the same TG uses):

LX647
DPTR ARVL MEALS EQP ELPD ACCUM MILES SM
CDG ZRH 0700 0815 M /S / CS1 1.15 1.15 291 N
DEP-AEROGARE 1

OS uses T2:

OS412
CDG VIE 1000 1200 M /S 321 2.00 2.00 638 N
DEP-AEROGARE 2 TERMINAL D
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Depending on price difference and how pressed I were for time, at a certain point I would consider just flying directly from VIE-BKK on OS in J. It isn't TG F, but it is a very nice J product with good food, would save hours of travel time, and not involve a connection at a user unfriendly airport.
i would not consider VIE a user unfriendly Airport. Have made transit through VIE many times. If you transit from Schengen to international, there is usually not even a security check. Very reasonable Walking distances and good lounges
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:16 am

i would not consider VIE a user unfriendly Airport. Have made transit through VIE many times. If you transit from Schengen to international, there is usually not even a security check. Very reasonable Walking distances and good lounges
I was referring to the connection at LHR or CDG that would be avoided by taking a direct flight on OS.

I agree with you re VIE, it is a very user friendly airport.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
We are talking about a different airline here: LX uses T1 (the same TG uses):

LX647
CDG ZRH 0700 0815 M /S / CS1 1.15 1.15 291 N
DEP-AEROGARE 1

OS uses T2:

OS412
CDG VIE 1000 1200 M /S 321 2.00 2.00 638 N
DEP-AEROGARE 2 TERMINAL D
actually two different parts of the terminal

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.