Search

Time to process GUP?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Time to process GUP?

Hi, my recollection (10+ years ago) is that GUP applied to a Q economy fare was processed pretty much instantly. I purchased a Q class ticket in the Seoul office yesterday and asked for GUP to be applied - which was done but with a comment that it needs to go back to head Office in Bangkok for e-ticket issue. So I am still waiting.

Is this usual these days? If so, how long before THAI Head Office issues e-ticket?

Full story follows......

I spent almost 2 hours in Seoul office yesterday with 2 simple tasks - first get Mrs TK a ICN-BKK-Europe return business class award using my 50% Gold award, and second buy a Q class econ ticket to match, and apply GUP.

I was required to meet with the male supervisor for both the gold birthday award and GUP. He came to the front desk area where there are 2-3 female staff working.

I had completed extensive searching using Expert Flyer and had a plan, and some back-up plans. Oddly, it seemed that the THAI system for digging out 'I' class for the business award had much less inventory that EF was telling me. Further complicating matters was that the agent initially said 'there are no connections', but when I asked for the details it was that a 2 hour connection was not available - no problems if we want to spend 12 hours in transit at BKK. So the ticket was finally issued for my wife ICN-BKK-OSL//CPH-BKK-ICN.

Given I now needed an open jaw Q class ticket for me to apply my GUP to (Q class for 100% miles), I noted the multi-city tool only give V/W or Y fares, and so could the staff now make an open jaw reservation for me in Q class? I explained in detail the limitations of the multi-city tool, including making a dummy booking.

The male staff suggested I see a travel agent, as they cannot match internet fares. I asked if they really could not issue a ticket?! He said it would be much more expensive, but relented after I asked them to please provide me with a quote. He appeared to need a hand from the female staff in the office. The final cost was KRW40,00 (USD37) more expensive than an online return ICN-BKK-OSL (or CPH). Acceptable to me! The body language of the senior female who provided some assistance suggested to me that she could have sorted this out in half the time....

Cheers, TK

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Feb 2, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Not unusual. Every time I use my GUP through FRA office I call ahead to check availability before booking. The limitations of the TG website booking system for specific fare types are also one of my problems. FRA office will not book you for whatever reasons as well. So I usually use a TA or OTA for specific booking classes. GUP is done quickly but also requires ok from BKK head office. Mileage upgrade is more time consuming, since I class needs the be available.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by Yoshi DUS
Not unusual. Every time I use my GUP through FRA office I call ahead to check availability before booking. The limitations of the TG website booking system for specific fare types are also one of my problems. FRA office will not book you for whatever reasons as well. So I usually use a TA or OTA for specific booking classes. GUP is done quickly but also requires ok from BKK head office. Mileage upgrade is more time consuming, since I class needs the be available.
all perfectly agreed and correct
but, meanwhile, it seems they are offering telesales as well, even through I prefer to have it done through my T/A, but always after having checked various availabilities first. I also noted much less availability given in I-class for next next three months back from Bangkok to Germany but staff says "they are confident as they have the experience to make things possible few days before respective departure day".
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Worse news for me, the THAI staff in Seoul called me to say they made a mistake in advising me and that the GUP when applied to the CPH-BKK sector can only be to Premium Economy (U) and not Business (J). They claim this is standard head office ruling that GUP is a one-cabin upgrade.

The whole point of the journey is for Mrs TK and I to travel together in business class, and if I been told that I could only GUP Q to U (and not J) for this sector, then I likely would have looked at a trip later in the year.

I called the THAI office in Bangkok, and following a lengthy explanation the staff member said she would escalate to a supervisor. I noted that my letter welcoming me to Gold status noted explicitly that the GUP can be applied for an upgrade economy to business, or business to first, and provided the detail of which fare classes were excluded. No mention of GUP from economy to premium economy. She understood my situation.

I hold out no hope an exception will be made to apply my GUP from Q to J. If I decide to cancel this journey, I also suspect that THAI will have considered that I have 'burned' my 50% birthday award and I will not be able to access it again.

So I'll likely proceed for a ICN-BKK(J)-OSL(J)//CPH-BKK(U)-ICN(J) journey given the hard product is the same, and I can cope without the better J food (or Mrs TK may swap cabins).
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
This is bad. Sorry to hear. I checked the member handbook. No mention of the PE. Would it be an option to fly to FRA or MUC on the GUP/miles and just connect to a cheap SAS flight to OSL? Good luck!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi DUS
This is bad. Sorry to hear. I checked the member handbook. No mention of the PE. Would it be an option to fly to FRA or MUC on the GUP/miles and just connect to a cheap SAS flight to OSL? Good luck!
Actually visiting the UK, but just out of range from ICN, and no seats to LHR in any case. Hence the OSL//CPH combination.

Unfortunately no award flights for Mrs TK in Biz within the narrow date band from FRA/MUC/OSL. BRU/CDG are just outside the 8000 mileage limit, so no use as well.

We will be in the UK for only 6 nights as it is, but an earlier flights combination might be possible - provided THAI has the flexibility to re-book everything at no cost. I do need to ensure she gets to make her departure with me in tow on the return from UK.

Thanks for the moral support!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Worse news for me, the THAI staff in Seoul called me to say they made a mistake in advising me and that the GUP when applied to the CPH-BKK sector can only be to Premium Economy (U) and not Business (J). They claim this is standard head office ruling that GUP is a one-cabin upgrade.

The whole point of the journey is for Mrs TK and I to travel together in business class, and if I been told that I could only GUP Q to U (and not J) for this sector, then I likely would have looked at a trip later in the year.

I called the THAI office in Bangkok, and following a lengthy explanation the staff member said she would escalate to a supervisor. I noted that my letter welcoming me to Gold status noted explicitly that the GUP can be applied for an upgrade economy to business, or business to first, and provided the detail of which fare classes were excluded. No mention of GUP from economy to premium economy. She understood my situation.

I hold out no hope an exception will be made to apply my GUP from Q to J. If I decide to cancel this journey, I also suspect that THAI will have considered that I have 'burned' my 50% birthday award and I will not be able to access it again.

So I'll likely proceed for a ICN-BKK(J)-OSL(J)//CPH-BKK(U)-ICN(J) journey given the hard product is the same, and I can cope without the better J food (or Mrs TK may swap cabins).
I hope you are wrong when you say you hold out no hope for an exception. My understanding ( and experience ) is that this is very clear: book Q and subject to seats, J is automatic. Premium Economy has NEVER been suggested in the context of the GUP. I hope this is just a rogue office or a misunderstanding, and that it is resolved in your favour: otherwise there are implications for us all in this 'policy'.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Y GUP is only to PE if that cabin is available (ARN & CPH)

Originally Posted by paolo64
I hope you are wrong when you say you hold out no hope for an exception. My understanding ( and experience ) is that this is very clear: book Q and subject to seats, J is automatic. Premium Economy has NEVER been suggested in the context of the GUP. I hope this is just a rogue office or a misunderstanding, and that it is resolved in your favour: otherwise there are implications for us all in this 'policy'.
Update.

Key (bad) news is that TG head office in Bangkok was firm that Q class airfare with GUP applied will only be to PE if that cabin is sold - ie to ARN/CPH at the moment. And indeed this is implied in the fine print in the Gold Pack letter (...'next higher cabin') - but is not noted explicitly anywhere including member handbook.

Noting that THAI Seoul made an error, TG head office agreed to release an award business seat for an alternative departure from OSL rather than CPH for my wife's 50% birthday award ticket. This allowed them to amend (Q ticket) my return also to be from OSL and the GUP successfully applied to what is now a simple ICN-BKK-OSL return for both of us.

One peculiarity is that my wife's business award ticket (I class) only has 30kg luggage allocation. When I emailed the Seoul office, they said don't worry as the 30+10 promotion was still running. Frankly, it doesn't matter as we are away for a week ahem won't be shopping - however, I remain convinced this is another screw-up. Indeed, her open jaw ticket ICN-OSL//CPH-ICN has a 40kg allowance!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
all perfectly agreed and correct
but, meanwhile, it seems they are offering telesales as well, even through I prefer to have it done through my T/A, but always after having checked various availabilities first. I also noted much less availability given in I-class for next next three months back from Bangkok to Germany but staff says "they are confident as they have the experience to make things possible few days before respective departure day".
can you give details about your travel agent? trying to find a T/A that satisfies me, none have at the moment.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

been in the same situation, was applying a GUP for BKK-CPH but TG head office wouldn't let me do an upgrade to J class but instead upgraded me to PE, couldn't be bothered to argue so just sat in PE. tbh PE on TG in those days were similar to J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.