Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Smile cancels international flight BKK-RGN-BKK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

A cautionary tale - slightly OT since Thai Smile (WE) is a effectively a LCC.

In Jul I booked 5 pax BKK-RGN-BKK 03 Dec-08 Dec, it was a return ticket (not 2 one-way tickets)). On 01 Dec, I was emailed saying my inbound flight sector on 08 Dec RGN-BKK had been cancelled.

I called the Thai Smile contact centre (I was already in Thailand by then) and asked if we could be transferred onto the TG flight (an A330) which was operating within a few hours of the WE flights. The response was no, but I was offered a date change, refund or 'credit' for future flights on WE. I noted we had specific arrangements, including hotels, so date changes were not possible. It was then suggested I should seek a refund and try and book flights with another carrier.

I asked about the outbound flight BKK-RGN on 03 Dec, as I was concerned that this too might be affected despite no email on this point. The agent checked and after a longish period advised me that this flight also had been cancelled. he could not explain why this had not also been advised.

I asked why the flights had been cancelled, and asked for an email to be sent from Thai Smile on the cancellation of the earlier flight. I had in mind that I might need to claim against my travel insurance since, with a few days to go, the costs for flights were likely higher than what I had initially paid.

The agent informed me the flights flights were cancelled for 'commercial reasons'. He undertook to ensure the refund was promptly actioned, but noted it could take 45 working days.

In terms of outcomes:
  • I proceeded to book on Thai - there were reasonable TG return fares available at THB 5600 per pax. The initial fare on WE was THB 4360, the 'loss' is THB 1240 or around USD35 per person.
  • The TG flight was quite full. I wonder how many pax were initially booked with WE...?
  • Thai Smile refunded the initial fare cost within 10 working days, so I was pleased with that.
  • No email ever received on the cancellation of the outbound flight. I haven't bothered following this up.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
I always book Thai Smile only by a TG-flightnumber - thus I have someone to talk to and can easily be transferred to a parallel TG-operated flight.
Smile is too inconsistent!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
I always book Thai Smile only by a TG-flightnumber - thus I have someone to talk to and can easily be transferred to a parallel TG-operated flight.

If only I'd known.....!! Happy NY!
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
What do you do when a route is only operated by TG?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
What do you do when a route is only operated by TG?
no reason for a smile in such a case!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by BinSabai
its just a matter of over-capacity on this route!
Therefore, one should book TG main-line....

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Jan 3, 2017 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
its just a matter of over-capacity onm this route!
Therefore, one should book TG main-lien....
if TG non-Smile only on that route, the alternative would then be the 10++ hours coach...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Hence why I consistently refer to them as TG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.