Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Does TG interline bags with separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

How much they are enforcing this rule outside of America + Europe? My s/o is flying DPS-BKK TG J class connecting to JL/AA home, on 2 separate tickets. I can't take the chance so will check all our bags myself, but I wonder if they would really deny interlining bags from Bali. They always seem so accommodating.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chavala
How much they are enforcing this rule outside of America + Europe? My s/o is flying DPS-BKK TG J class connecting to JL/AA home, on 2 separate tickets. I can't take the chance so will check all our bags myself, but I wonder if they would really deny interlining bags from Bali. They always seem so accommodating.
Good question. CX has now stopped interlining on separate tix, and they always used to do this with ease and grace ex-HKG.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Good question. CX has now stopped interlining on separate tix, and they always used to do this with ease and grace ex-HKG.
I think we'll have to give it a test and report back!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
CX stopped interlining as a result of a oneworld-wide change: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...kets-pnrs.html

Since you're checking in with TG and not JL/AA (and not UA either where it probably wouldn't work) and I don't think *A has instituted any sort of similar policy — if TG still has an interline agreement with JL (which I think it should, but I don't have an EF subscription so can't check, maybe someone could help?) then there really shouldn't be any issue.

(Also mods maybe this should be in the TG forum instead?)
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
TG does interline on separate tickets to non *A airlines. I just did TG bkk > hkg AA> dfw>lax no problems on July 30th. They have never questioned me in the past. Although I am always in first class doing that and I don't know if they extend that courtesy to FC only or anybody.

And I don't know if they have interline with JL. But if it is a code share with an AA flight number you should be good to go.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
I think we'll have to give it a test and report back!
They stopped with interline baggage on any airline on separate tickets.

I didn't know about the change until July 10th when I tried to do CX MNL>HKG TG>BKK

They told me at checkin that they longer will check through baggage on separate tickets.

So it has been tested and failed to acoplish.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by truncated
Since you're checking in with TG and not JL/AA (and not UA either where it probably wouldn't work) and I don't think *A has instituted any sort of similar policy — if TG still has an interline agreement with JL (which I think it should, but I don't have an EF subscription so can't check, maybe someone could help?) then there really shouldn't be any issue.
Interlining across alliances (TG=>JL) on separate tickets could indeed be a problem. Whether there's an interline agreement or not is not dispositive when you're traveling on separate tickets.

My point about CX was that they used to be extremely accommodating at HKG about checking through on separate tix, even across alliances; the concern is that the practice is being clamped down on throughout the industry.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swm61230

I didn't know about the change until July 10th when I tried to do CX MNL>HKG TG>BKK

They told me at checkin that they longer will check through baggage on separate tickets.

So it has been tested and failed to acoplish.
I don't think that's a comparable test at all. A different airline, a different alliance, in a different country. I find the agents at MNL to be very strict, whereas the Balinese seem to enjoy keeping me happy : )
We'll give it a try anyway and report back next month.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by swm61230

But your experience was with CX at MNL rather than TG.

I think there is a very good chance that TG at DPS will tag your bags to final destination despite on separate tickets and across alliances. What matters is the interline agreement between JL and TG and whether the check-in agent knows what to do and is prepared to do some typing.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
My point about CX was that they used to be extremely accommodating at HKG about checking through on separate tix, even across alliances; the concern is that the practice is being clamped down on throughout the industry.
Point duly noted; however my point was that CX stopped because of a oneworld-wide rule change stopping interlining across separate tickets. However *A hasn't done anything similar, and other posters have also said that TG does interline across separate tickets — therefore since OP is on TG and not CX/an OW carrier the CX example wasn't necessarily the most relevant to his question.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
at least they stopped it officially in March to check-through onto/from PG to/from Samui and other PG-destinations
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Award TG==> Paid Thai Smile?

Biz award flight, BNE-BKK on TG. Arrives BKK 5:50am. Thai Smile flight to REP on separate (paid) ticket, 7:25am.

Will this be an issue, either with interlining or the 95 minutes between filghts at BKK?

Also will be flying Thai Smile REP-BKK, arriving BKK 10:20am and connecting to TG BKK-SIN which leaves at 11:30am. Again, paid Thai Smile, Biz award on TG. Just 70 minutes connection time here. Will this be OK?

Thanks-
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Biz award flight, BNE-BKK on TG. Arrives BKK 5:50am. Thai Smile flight to REP on separate (paid) ticket, 7:25am.

Will this be an issue, either with interlining or the 95 minutes between filghts at BKK?

Also will be flying Thai Smile REP-BKK, arriving BKK 10:20am and connecting to TG BKK-SIN which leaves at 11:30am. Again, paid Thai Smile, Biz award on TG. Just 70 minutes connection time here. Will this be OK?

Thanks-
TG is still generous for interlining bags on separate tickets, so should be no problem
second transfer a bit tight, but transfer security in BKK not so busy at this time of day
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Why did they stop interlining baggage?
I would think that they try to increase the service and comfort to the costumers and not going back wards.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I'm not not it could be possible to have bags checked on 2 separate tix to the final destination without the pax also being accepted and checked-in for both the flights. Even if checked in through to final destinations, the pax (rather than the second carrier) carries all of the risk in the event of a missed-connection (i.e. first flight is delayed causing the second to be missed).

In the OP's situation of 2 separate tickets, what is the benefit to THAI of interlining bags onto JL for the second portion of the flight BKK-DFW on JL? After all, as far as THAI is concerned they have no knowledge of any travel beyond BKK. If THAI were to interline bags, they would much has preferred that a single ticket (mixed carriers) was purchased in which case this discussion ceases. Of course, the OP has his/her reasons for the 2 separate tickets, but I don't see an obligation for THAI to do anything beyond checking in the pax to BKK. If they do so, great for the OP and the s/o.

Good luck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.