Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice on ground time for 1st class lounge experience

Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Hi All -

My partner and I are booked from HKT - BKK - SYD. BKK - SYD is on 747 F/C.

We are extremely excited, however, I'm wondering if I over did the ground connection time.

We currently have 7+50 ground time. Is this too much?

I did this to make sure that we both have enough time to get a massage, however, we will be leaving Phuket at 10am, which will be super early.

I can change to the 13:05 HKT - BKK flight, gets in at 14:30. Will then give us 4+50 on the ground. If we do change I want to get the change made before I hit 21 days out and then get a fee.

Questions, from your experience will this be enough time to schedule a massage and enjoy the lounge? Or am I overthinking this? I'm worried that the lounge will be busy and we won't be able to schedule one within that time frame. Which would disappoint him as he has his heart set on the massage experience. I guess I just see the arrival into domestic, waiting to deplane, then on the bus (as we won't be at a gate), then get to terminal, then get to security, taking a while as it usually does.

We booked the round trip just for the lounge experience so I'd hate to miss it.

Second, on the return we are going SYD - BKK - NRT, in 1st. SYD - BKK gets in at 16:20. BKK - NRT (a380 1st) leaves the next day at 7:30am.

Can we have our bags checked to BKK, leave and come back in the AM since this is 15 hours on the ground? Also, how early would you get to the 1st class lounge to book a massage for the flight that leaves at 7:30am? I understand the spa opens at 6am, so, we'd need to book the first slot giving us 30 minutes to get to the gate.

I know this is a huge post, sorry, but I really appreciate this. We are so looking forward to Thai we don't want to miss anything.

Thanks so much, really appreciate it and excited to fly 1st on Thai!

Last edited by ManFactSpendLA; Jul 8, 2016 at 1:57 am
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
The Lounge is very busy in the night.
In the morning much fewer TG-flights leave BKK offering F-class (to TYO, HKG and sometimes SYD)...thus the lounge is not as frequented as during night.
You should switch your PHUKE-BKK-Flight to 1pm - it's much more relaxing also concerning your (pre-)travel on Phuket island and at the airport (less busy).
be aware: the F-cabins on the various B744 to/from SYD are not "harmonized" - it can be a suit like on the A380 but it can also be a traditional seat like in the old times....
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
4 hours 50 is certainly plenty of time for the lounge experience; massage is not so busy in the afternoon (as opposite to the evening as Creole Spirit pointed out).
Whether you would like to take earlier or later flight from Phuket, I would also check the aircraft type
the 1000 flight is a 747, which has F seats
the 1055 a 777 200/300 with angle flat J seats
the 1305 a A330 with similar angle flat J seats (but there are still two aircrafts with very old recliners in J); so if you are unlucky....
(this is status for August)
Not sure why you assume that domestic will be a bus gate? those wide body aircrafts can dock at the domestic terminals A and B; you will have to check in at Phuket in international terminal, check through the bags, get a sticker and you can go through transit security; that is usually very fast if you come out of the plane early! F lounge is just around the corner from transit security

For the return of course you can check your bags only to BKK and recheck in in the morning. It is a bit tight to get the 1 hour massage but for 30 minutes should be ok; try to book at check in! also the F lounge does not open before 0500
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

OH BinSabai and Creole spirit, you are a wealth of knowledge, I appreciate your kind response.

First, we are aware of the two different "styles" on the 747, we aren't too worried about that. We have our own little inside jokes about if we walk up and it's the Star Alliance plane . We've been monitoring this thread and have our fingers crossed, but won't be disappointed in the least. This entire trip is all about the experience on Thai Airways. We go to Thailand often, but never fly Thai as we are in the U.S. The last time we flew Thai Metal was back in 2005, when Thai had the non-stop from LAX - BKK - HKT. That was all in Coach! We usually go from BKK - HKT on Bangkok air or Thai Smile. So as you can see, we are extremely excited to have the full Thai experience.

Thank you for pointing out the flights and seats. For us, it's an hour flight and aren't that picky. True the 10am flight is the 747, but I doubt we'd get a FC seat on that flight as it's not sold on United as F/C, but who knows?!? It's not a deal breaker and to be honest an extra few hours in Phuket would be better as suggested by Creole Spirit.

Thanks for the advice, I'm off to call United now to change to the 13:05 flight. Hopefully we'll get the old recliners !?! HAHA!

One more quick question, have either of you heard if they will be bringing back the Thai Flight Simulator Experience? Seems they aren't offering it, but will it come back?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by BinSabai
4 hours 50 is certainly plenty of time for the lounge experience; massage is not so busy in the afternoon (as opposite to the evening as Creole Spirit pointed out).
Whether you would like to take earlier or later flight from Phuket, I would also check the aircraft type
the 1000 flight is a 747, which has F seats
the 1055 a 777 200/300 with angle flat J seats
the 1305 a A330 with similar angle flat J seats (but there are still two aircrafts with very old recliners in J); so if you are unlucky....
(this is status for August)
Not sure why you assume that domestic will be a bus gate? those wide body aircrafts can dock at the domestic terminals A and B; you will have to check in at Phuket in international terminal, check through the bags, get a sticker and you can go through transit security; that is usually very fast if you come out of the plane early! F lounge is just around the corner from transit security

For the return of course you can check your bags only to BKK and recheck in in the morning. It is a bit tight to get the 1 hour massage but for 30 minutes should be ok; try to book at check in! also the F lounge does not open before 0500
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
The Lounge is very busy in the night.
In the morning much fewer TG-flights leave BKK offering F-class (to TYO, HKG and sometimes SYD)...thus the lounge is not as frequented as during night.
You should switch your PHUKE-BKK-Flight to 1pm - it's much more relaxing also concerning your (pre-)travel on Phuket island and at the airport (less busy).
be aware: the F-cabins on the various B744 to/from SYD are not "harmonized" - it can be a suit like on the A380 but it can also be a traditional seat like in the old times....
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
As others have said - 4 hours is plenty of time for the Fcl lounge. 1 hour for drinks, one hour for massage, another hour for drinks and food... and you still have plenty of time up your sleeve for shopping or duty free.

I've had involuntary layovers of 6-7 hours - pretty much climbing the walls by the end of it. If the layover had been close to/over 8 hours I'd have gone to a hotel.

Fcl isn't sold on domestic flights, but the seating is available to business class passengers. So the 747 might be a good choice for you.

Tip: manage your expectations on the lounge massage. You'll find much better ones at just about any reputable massage place outside. They can vary in quality in the lounge - to the point where they can be less than enjoyable (think stuck under the A/C flow, cold, with sticky drying oil).

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jul 12, 2016 at 9:12 pm
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
FCL is virtually empty in the afternoons, at least on those afternoons that I had been there...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:40 am

Very easy to have a massage in the mornings and afternoons, the lounge is almost empty then. More difficult from early evening on.
The massage is a nice way to kill an hour, but I would not plan more time in the lounge just for the massage.
In general the lounge is nicer than many other F lounges (especially when you are used to offerings like the UA F lounges or the AA Flagship lounges), but it is still a lounge and you will be bored relatively quickly. You can order food, but the quality is similar what you would expect in a food court, not what you get in a nicer restaurant.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kapitan
FCL is virtually empty in the afternoons, at least on those afternoons that I had been there...
I have never experienced a busy F lounge before 9pm...and I am quite often there
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
What's the suggested arrival time to BKK for the 08:00 flight (TG 676) to NRT in order to eat and enjoy the one hour spa experience?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by hockeystl
What's the suggested arrival time to BKK for the 08:00 flight (TG 676) to NRT in order to eat and enjoy the one hour spa experience?
seriously... about 7am so you can go straight from checkin to the plane. The food doesn't even come close to what you're going to enjoy outside, and the same for the massage. You'll get one 10x better at somewhere like Healthlands that will set you back just a few bucks.

Neither the dining or spa experience is worth getting up that early.

Now if you have a lengthy transit, the massage is enjoyable and a nice way to pass the time. But being wet and sticky at 7am having to shower before heaving to a flight? not for everyone.

(the spa opens at 6, the lounge opens at 5. A one hour massage a 6 is sort of pushing it, but doable)
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
seriously... about 7am so you can go straight from checkin to the plane. The food doesn't even come close to what you're going to enjoy outside, and the same for the massage. You'll get one 10x better at somewhere like Healthlands that will set you back just a few bucks.

Neither the dining or spa experience is worth getting up that early.
Agree 100%. For the 8 am departure, you're already going to have to leave Bangkok no later than 6:30. I wouldn't push that back any further for TG airport lounge food or a massage. Who wants a massage at 6 in the morning? Seriously.

This is why I book J on that particular flight.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
OH BinSabai and Creole spirit, you are a wealth of knowledge, I appreciate your kind response.

First, we are aware of the two different "styles" on the 747, we aren't too worried about that. We have our own little inside jokes about if we walk up and it's the Star Alliance plane . We've been monitoring this thread and have our fingers crossed, but won't be disappointed in the least. This entire trip is all about the experience on Thai Airways. We go to Thailand often, but never fly Thai as we are in the U.S. The last time we flew Thai Metal was back in 2005, when Thai had the non-stop from LAX - BKK - HKT. That was all in Coach! We usually go from BKK - HKT on Bangkok air or Thai Smile. So as you can see, we are extremely excited to have the full Thai experience.

Thank you for pointing out the flights and seats. For us, it's an hour flight and aren't that picky. True the 10am flight is the 747, but I doubt we'd get a FC seat on that flight as it's not sold on United as F/C, but who knows?!? It's not a deal breaker and to be honest an extra few hours in Phuket would be better as suggested by Creole Spirit.

Thanks for the advice, I'm off to call United now to change to the 13:05 flight. Hopefully we'll get the old recliners !?! HAHA!

One more quick question, have either of you heard if they will be bringing back the Thai Flight Simulator Experience? Seems they aren't offering it, but will it come back?

Thanks!
They were still advertising the Flight Simulator Experience on the IFE when I flew them recently. My understanding is that you can still pay for it but can't redeem miles for it anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.