Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which F award flight to book?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Which F award flight to book?

I am fortunate enough to be able to booka an award flight in F with Thai from Europe to BKK, but I am somewhat unsure what too book. At all destinations I will to go there from OSL the evening before

My choices are:

From LHR: Type a380, access to Silverkris and United first lounges
From CDG: Type a380, access to Star Alliance first class lounge
From FRA: Type a380, access to LH Senator lounge
From MUC: - Type 747, Access to LH Senator lounge, only available 747 F for those dates, but risk older 10F config.

Return will be BKK-FRA-OSL

which would you choose?
Old May 7, 2016, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Almost forgot.. big advantage with FRA and MUC, is the flight from OSL being Lufthansa business instead of SAS "plus"
Old May 7, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I would pick LHR as First Class UC is your best lounge option and the flight is the longest F segment. CDG can be a PITA as *A lounges are land side. At FRA the AC MLL is generally better than the LH Senator lounge.

Your choice should also revolve around the reasonable and convenient hotel selections the night before, and if you want to squeeze in some sightseeing.

SL
Old May 7, 2016, 5:37 am
Original Poster

thank you. I plan to just stay at a reasonable airport hotel, so no sightseeing needed So yes, right now I need to chose between LHR and FRA
Old May 7, 2016, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Agree with Sunlover with the LHR option.

You will be hitting FRA anyway on the return, so nice to use the First Class lounge at LHR on the outbound. And a380 is a nice ride on Thai.

My only concern would be the possibility of high taxes on flights out of LHR, depending on how it is ticketed. Is there any significant difference in the cash outlay for these tickets? If not, LHR would be my choice.
Old May 7, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Agree with Sunlover with the LHR option.

You will be hitting FRA anyway on the return, so nice to use the First Class lounge at LHR on the outbound. And a380 is a nice ride on Thai.

My only concern would be the possibility of high taxes on flights out of LHR, depending on how it is ticketed. Is there any significant difference in the cash outlay for these tickets? If not, LHR would be my choice.
I avoided departing LHR in F on TG exactly for this reason in 2007. The Air Passenger Duty was approx GBP80 - now much higher I think? I departed FRA instead and used EasyJet to get into continental Europe.
Old May 7, 2016, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes LHR will be best for lounges. Also not a bad transfer, T2 to T2.

Originally Posted by Mjoellnir
big advantage with FRA and MUC, is the flight from OSL being Lufthansa business instead of SAS "plus"
Not sure that's a "big" advantage . . . still just a standard Y seat, albeit with middle blocked.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
My only concern would be the possibility of high taxes on flights out of LHR, depending on how it is ticketed.
If you originate at LHR, you will pay the higher APD. If you're on a 24 hour or less connection, that won't apply.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
747 to/from Munich is usually a suite version. So not such a big difference with A380 suite. Of course A380 suite is slightly larger and the seat has better functionality, but others seem to prefer the 747 due to color, cabin lay out etc. A380 is much more quiet than the "old" 747
I think there are also currently some differences in meal services, but I have no latest update on that. Others might comment. Rimowa kit, Pijamas, DOM and Caviar are the same on all 4 flights
Old May 7, 2016, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Okay, thank you for your advices

I ended up with:
SAS Plus OSL-LHR B737
Thai F LHR-BKK A380
Thai C BKK-HKT B777

Thai C HKT-BKK B747
Thai F BKK-FRA A380
LH C FRA-OSL A321

SK Award pay YQ on non SK flights, so it does not matter if I go from mainland Europe or the UK.. paid NOK 3100 .. approx €330 or $380. It is not free but the ticket would have cost me appox NOK 90.000 or €9500 outside any campaigns

Edit: not just YQ, but the total was right
Taxes, Fees, Other Charges 944.00 NOK
Fuel Surcharge 2166.00 NOK

Last edited by Mjoellnir; May 7, 2016 at 10:35 am
Old May 9, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mjoellnir
I ended up with:
SAS Plus OSL-LHR B737
Thai F LHR-BKK A380
Thai C BKK-HKT B777

Thai C HKT-BKK B747
Thai F BKK-FRA A380
LH C FRA-OSL A321
That's the way to do it ^ The LHR lounges are much better to what you have access to in CDG, FRA or MUC and the MUC will most likely be a old config 744. Have a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.