Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Involuntary downgrade from F to J BEFORE commencing my itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold

Hello guys,

I have a PNR ticketed by redeeming OZ miles for F seats. This includes a leg for FRA->BKK operated by TG.

This leg's metal has been changed from 380 to 773 so I will not have a F seat unfortunately...

I know I can raise a claim according to the EC 2004 (something) regulation given this leg's departure city is FRA but I am wondering if I am entitled to ask for compensation as I have not commenced my itinerary yet- my first leg (ICN->FRA) is on early June.

I contacted TG regarding this and two answers arrived:

FRA office: NO, PLEASE CONTACT OZ TO CHANGE YOUR ROUTES
BKK office: NO AS YOU DID NOT COMMENCE YOUR JOURNEY

Any comments are welcome, many thanks in advance.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: TG Plat, AF Lifetime Plat , QR plat , SPG Lifetime Plat
Forget about the BKK office for customer complaints . If you are not a TIP thay will treat you with utter disdain .
Old May 1, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
Hello guys,

I have a PNR ticketed by redeeming OZ miles for F seats. This includes a leg for FRA->BKK operated by TG.

This leg's metal has been changed from 380 to 773 so I will not have a F seat unfortunately...

I know I can raise a claim according to the EC 2004 (something) regulation given this leg's departure city is FRA but I am wondering if I am entitled to ask for compensation as I have not commenced my itinerary yet- my first leg (ICN->FRA) is on early June.

I contacted TG regarding this and two answers arrived:

FRA office: NO, PLEASE CONTACT OZ TO CHANGE YOUR ROUTES
BKK office: NO AS YOU DID NOT COMMENCE YOUR JOURNEY

Any comments are welcome, many thanks in advance.
EU261 only applies to flights departing within 14 days. Given your journey is out of that timeframe then no.

You need to contact your ticket issuer so TG FRA is right. Only OZ will handle your booking.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by kinchai
EU261 only applies to flights departing within 14 days. Given your journey is out of that timeframe then no.

You need to contact your ticket issuer so TG FRA is right. Only OZ will handle your booking.
Or if they don't bother to act on your request earlier, just leave it be (assuming you're fine with the travel in J), wait patiently for the 14 protection window under EU261, and then start acting with EU261 in full force on your side.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lament
Forget about the BKK office for customer complaints . If you are not a TIP thay will treat you with utter disdain .
Thanks for the tip. The BKK office was okay to me but the FRA was awful.

Originally Posted by kinchai

I was not aware of the 14-day rule as I could not look it up in the regulation document. Yeah I am contacting OZ to change my routes but given lack of F availability as usual it is also pretty challenging. Thanks!

Originally Posted by jackebofh
Or if they don't bother to act on your request earlier, just leave it be (assuming you're fine with the travel in J), wait patiently for the 14 protection window under EU261, and then start acting with EU261 in full force on your side.
I appreicate your good advice. Of course I have no problem with flying in J as the metal is 77W. I replied to the BKK office asking if I would be entitled to get compesation after commencing my itineary as is. I will share their response.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Unfortunate situation. However, since your travel is 4 weeks away (ie hasn'yt commenced), why would/should TG have anything to do with an OZ award ticket?

Presumably you have enough time to get a 'full refund' of points/miles from OZ, or to reschedule.

I'm curious - given the period of notice that an F cabin is not available exceeds 14 days, would EU261 be a vaild recourse simply by waiting until within 14 days?
Old May 1, 2016, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I'm curious - given the period of notice that an F cabin is not available exceeds 14 days, would EU261 be a vaild recourse simply by waiting until within 14 days?
It kinda, sorta depends on what exactly the issue is, but regarding OPs problem, depending on who you ask - most commonly, though, the idea is that the EU261 (reimbursement for involuntary downgrade) kicks in on the day of travel, when you're actually denied your originally reserved and paid for class of service.

Last edited by jackebofh; May 1, 2016 at 10:26 pm Reason: punctation
Old May 1, 2016, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Unfortunate situation. However, since your travel is 4 weeks away (ie hasn'yt commenced), why would/should TG have anything to do with an OZ award ticket?

Presumably you have enough time to get a 'full refund' of points/miles from OZ, or to reschedule.

First of all, I do not want to lose my secured F seats in the other legs. F availability is quite scarce and actually many F seats in similar routes have gone. Also I got a kinda nice deal for this redemption so I would like to stick to compensation if possible.

It kinda, sorta depends on what exactly the issue is, but regarding OPs problem, depending on who you ask - most commonly, though, the idea is that the EU261 (reimbursement for involuntary downgrade) kicks in on the day of travel, when you're actually denied your originally reserved and paid for class of service.
The reason that TG has changed the metal is regular maintenance. But I believe it is OP's problem- I hope.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
EU 261/04 absolutely applies. The 14 day restriction applies to schedule changes, not to downgrades.

I ran into a similar situation, and I was able to get the LHR office to open up CDG-BKK space in F when the ZRH-BKK flight went to 2 class (there was open award space on LX ZRH-CDG). You're far more likely to get this type of resolution than you are to get the $7k in compensation, although I do know of somebody who received the latter a few years ago.

By fare rules, OZ's only responsibility is to offer a refund, so you're better off trying to negotiate with TG for an appropriate resolution.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
EU 261/04 absolutely applies. The 14 day restriction applies to schedule changes, not to downgrades.

I ran into a similar situation, and I was able to get the LHR office to open up CDG-BKK space in F when the ZRH-BKK flight went to 2 class (there was open award space on LX ZRH-CDG). You're far more likely to get this type of resolution than you are to get the $7k in compensation, although I do know of somebody who received the latter a few years ago.

By fare rules, OZ's only responsibility is to offer a refund, so you're better off trying to negotiate with TG for an appropriate resolution.
Terrific! Thanks for sharing your experience. I also asked TG if they can open up F seats in other routes like from CDG/MUC to BKK and am waiting for their reply. But this resolution will extend my travel time while TG so far has insisted that I need to directly contact OZ to find a solution. The funny thing was TG FRA office closed the door by saying "case closed".

Well if they say so then I should aim to get compensation rather than alternative routes...
Old May 2, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The OP has been rebooked to J class and if the OP turns up at the airport the OP will travel in the service class booked/ticketed for (J) i.e. no downgrade.

OZ can do very little for you. Of course if F seats are available you should be rebooked but OZ will not be able to ask TG to open up award seats ex CDG or MUC. You need to ask TG BKK to do this - whether they are prepared to do is uncertain given that this is an OZ Award. Most likely TG BKK will try to direct to you contact OZ

Good luck - I think you will need it for this. Are you prepared to let it go and travel in J? TG J class on 77W is not at all a bad experience - it is very good (I have travelled CPH-BKK r/t 2 times in J on the 77W and I was very pleased with the hardware - service was so-so)

Anyway, in the past TG has been known to resolve similar downgrade situations at check-in with an envelope with cash. This was done some years ago for the downgrade DPS-BKK due to equipment change from 744. Whether TG will do the same in your situations remains to been seen, but I'm sure we will get some updates on this once the equipment change kicks in - you are not the only pax in this situation krub.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 2, 2016 at 2:56 am
Old May 2, 2016, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I believe this is correct. The 14 day marker applies to cancellation/Schedule change which is different from downgrade.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I believe this is correct. The 14 day marker applies to cancellation/Schedule change which is different from downgrade.
Clause 9 of the regulation talks about downgrade:
Code:
Article 10: Upgrading and downgrading
1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request
any supplementary payment.
2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within
seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse
(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less, or
(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, except flights between the
European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500
kilometres, or
(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the
Member States and the French overseas departments.
Applicability of EU261 is variable at best. I have (rightfully) used the regulation for even small changes in my booking. The airlines can counter argue but it all depends on how you approach, negotiate or handle.

in this case OP can at best - 1) try negotiating with TG or 2) ask OZ for full - refund - and then rebook (finding award availability might be an issue)
Old May 2, 2016, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The OP has been rebooked to J class and if the OP turns up at the airport the OP will travel in the service class booked/ticketed for (J) i.e. no downgrade.

OZ can do very little for you. Of course if F seats are available you should be rebooked but OZ will not be able to ask TG to open up award seats ex CDG or MUC. You need to ask TG BKK to do this - whether they are prepared to do is uncertain given that this is an OZ Award. Most likely TG BKK will try to direct to you contact OZ

Good luck - I think you will need it for this. Are you prepared to let it go and travel in J? TG J class on 77W is not at all a bad experience - it is very good (I have travelled CPH-BKK r/t 2 times in J on the 77W and I was very pleased with the hardware - service was so-so)

Anyway, in the past TG has been known to resolve similar downgrade situations at check-in with an envelope with cash. This was done some years ago for the downgrade DPS-BKK due to equipment change from 744. Whether TG will do the same in your situations remains to been seen, but I'm sure we will get some updates on this once the equipment change kicks in - you are not the only pax in this situation krub.
So far I thought 'OP' stands for 'operating carrier' which was obviously wrong... Anyhow OZ notified this metal change asking for my confirmation but surely I have not confirmed this change yet just in case.

Yeah wish me luck. I am contacting some agencies like EUclaim etc to get advice. I am fine with flying in J as mentioned if it provides a full-flat seat. I do not care about service and food krub!

Originally Posted by ExSin
Clause 9 of the regulation talks about downgrade:
Code:
Article 10: Upgrading and downgrading
1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request
any supplementary payment.
2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within
seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse
(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less, or
(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, except flights between the
European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500
kilometres, or
(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the
Member States and the French overseas departments.
Applicability of EU261 is variable at best. I have (rightfully) used the regulation for even small changes in my booking. The airlines can counter argue but it all depends on how you approach, negotiate or handle.

in this case OP can at best - 1) try negotiating with TG or 2) ask OZ for full - refund - and then rebook (finding award availability might be an issue)

Thanks for your comment. Obviously I do not want full-refund in this case given lack of F availability in all the similar routes. So then I need to go with the option #1- negotiation with TG. But I don't want to use too much time and energy for this so am contacting some agencies. But it seems they mostly delay with issues related to cancellation/delay not downgrade.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
So far I thought 'OP' stands for 'operating carrier' which was obviously wrong...
OP = Original Post(er)

Good luck, I'm sure all here will be interested in the final outcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.