BKK Late Night Arrival

Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
400B is hard to pass up.
It's almost worth the extra 1300 THB for the AOT limo not to have to argue with the taxi driver over meter vs. the 500 THB flat fare they usually want.

Originally Posted by timster
So you can probably guess whether I always give a real address.
There's a reason they ask for this information. For example, if someone on your flight turns out to have had a highly contagious disease, they will need to track down all passengers promptly. A friend experienced this in Seoul several years ago . . . three day quarantine at the Grand Hyatt courtesy of the South Korean government.

Like the stuff on the back that asks for your income and occupation, that falls into the category of "none of your business" as far as I'm concerned.
If you read carefully, you'll note those questions are from the Thai Tourism Authority. They are not mandatory.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's almost worth the extra 1300 THB for the AOT limo not to have to argue with the taxi driver over meter vs. the 500 THB flat fare they usually want.
I haven't had a taxi driver ask for a flat fee from the airport for about 10 years. 300-400 is the usual metered fare. They do sometimes still try it downtown.

There's a reason they ask for this information. For example, if someone on your flight turns out to have had a highly contagious disease, they will need to track down all passengers promptly. A friend experienced this in Seoul several years ago . . . three day quarantine at the Grand Hyatt courtesy of the South Korean government.
Yes I do know that. The airline has my contact details in that case. And if you think the AOT / Thai government could find my card quickly in the piles of cards that come in each day you have a different impression of their efficiency than I do.

If you read carefully, you'll note those questions are from the Thai Tourism Authority. They are not mandatory.
There is actually no indication on the card that the information regarding occupation and income etc is anything other than mandatory. The front of the card says "For non-Thai residents please complete on both sides of this card." (sic) I am sure many travellers foolishly do so, assuming they are required to.

http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/upl...1105549730.jpg
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I haven't had a taxi driver ask for a flat fee from the airport for about 10 years. 300-400 is the usual metered fare. They do sometimes still try it downtown.
I visit Thailand 2-3 times per year, and IME they try to pull this pretty much every time. Most recently about six months ago. Part of the reason I've done AOT limo my last two trips.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
In the past 2.5 years I've never had an issue ex-BKK with the fare. Not one suggested it on I would say about 10 rides.
Going to BKK I've had them suggest it twice. The first time I wasn't paying attention and we were already on the road and I didn't want to fight.
The most recent one quickly found the meter did work when I didn't have to use any English to express my desire that I wanted to use the meter or he could pull back into the hotel and let me out.

I've taken the train once but that was on a Friday night arrival around 9:30pm and Google maps showed the traffic getting to Silom to be 1:45 min. Even waiting with the swamp of people to buy train tickets I was at the Le Meridien in about 1:15 which beats sitting in a dead stop on Sirat Expressway.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
well, that's just normal bargaining in Thailand. If you want to avoid this, go for the most expensive solution! Otherwise you can usually get a taxi driver that finally starts the meter and you will usually stay below 500 THB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.