Wiki Posts
Search

Is Thai worth the extra over Jetstar

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Questions answered in earlier posts, I was just going to add that you cannot compare an LCC with a Full fledged airline, only if the LCC is cheap and that's all you need.
Frankly, I do not get your point. At least not in Asia or Europe.
A major difference of LCCs is that they itemize costs, so that you need to pay for each service you use. For example, I use Easyjet a lot in Europe and the total cost include the basic fare, plus a bag (if needed), plus food (often quite nice) plus the cost of assigning a nice seat. Air Asia works the same way. Once I compute the all-in-one cost, I prefer Easyjet over Air France for similar cost and timing. Similarly in Asia, I would not hesitate to take Air Asia over TG, although bag checkin can be a hassle.
To me TG or Air Asia (I never used Jetstar) are just airlines with different pluses and minuses. And TG is underwhelming in short regional hops.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Frankly, I do not get your point. At least not in Asia or Europe.
A major difference of LCCs is that they itemize costs, so that you need to pay for each service you use. For example, I use Easyjet a lot in Europe and the total cost include the basic fare, plus a bag (if needed), plus food (often quite nice) plus the cost of assigning a nice seat. Air Asia works the same way. Once I compute the all-in-one cost, I prefer Easyjet over Air France for similar cost and timing. Similarly in Asia, I would not hesitate to take Air Asia over TG, although bag checkin can be a hassle.
To me TG or Air Asia (I never used Jetstar) are just airlines with different pluses and minuses. And TG is underwhelming in short regional hops.
Well I would indeed fly AirAsia if only they flew to BKK and not DMK. They are quite a bit cheaper than Thai and Jetstar and the arrival time is great as well.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mict
Well I would indeed fly AirAsia if only they flew to BKK and not DMK. They are quite a bit cheaper than Thai and Jetstar and the arrival time is great as well.
Fully understood.
I was just questioning the general statement that all LCCs are worse than legacy airlines, except for the price.
Some LCCs have moved upscale and to me roughly comparable in quality. They are part of my choices for short hops. And I always fly business on longhaul flights, so the cost issue is not the major determinant for me. But I do not like to subsidize legacy airlines when they offer comparable shorthaul products at much higher cost.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
Fully understood.
I was just questioning the general statement that all LCCs are worse than legacy airlines, except for the price.
Some LCCs have moved upscale and to me roughly comparable in quality. They are part of my choices for short hops. And I always fly business on longhaul flights, so the cost issue is not the major determinant for me. But I do not like to subsidize legacy airlines when they offer comparable shorthaul products at much higher cost.
I did not insinuate that LCC's are worse, it s an airline with a different pricing model. But my issue with LCC's is their frequency and their ability to re-route/protect you in case of IRROP's etc.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:23 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by newshound
For a $30 premium I would definitely still fly TG over a LCC for the advantages in the other posts. Just check in a little early so you can get a decent seat in the lounge would be my only suggestion.
I'd happily pay plenty more than $30 to avoid JetStar. Reliability (sometimes dreadful), baggage (pay), cabin service (cost), leg room (no good if you're tall). YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.