Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recognition as a Platinum member

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Recognition as a Platinum member

Platinum members, by definition, travel most frequently in Royal Silk or Royal First and I would say that I am welcomed "as our most valuable Platinum member" maybe 10% of the time I travel in J/C or F.

According to the blurb one is supposed to be recognised as a Platinum member on board and another of the benefits is that you should be asked for your meal choice before anybody else (with the exception of other Platinum members of course!). I was seated in 2K on TG931 from Paris last week, instead of my usual 2A and I was among the last to be asked for my meal choice. I selected the fish dish only to be told that they had only loaded four portions and they had already been chosen and could I select something else.

I asked why, as a Platinum member, I had not been asked for my choice of meal first and the cabin crew got flustered and went away to "see what she could do". She returned a few minutes later with the good news that I could have the fish, but the Captain would be disappointed. So, obviously, the flight crew get first dibs on their choice of food and the passengers come second!!! Not as it should be, in my opinion.

I have had occasion to fly recently in Economy to both Sapporo and Jakarta and on both occasions I was warmly welcomed on board by the flight purser, on the Sapporo flight I was moved to a row of three vacant seats "for more space sir", and I was asked for my choice of meal before anybody else on both flights.

It seems Platinum members traveling in Economy get more recognition than in the default premium cabins...strange behaviour??
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: BRK-B
True, it's the same as flying in Business Class too, as a gold.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: TG Plat, AF Lifetime Plat , QR plat , SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
Platinum members, by definition, travel most frequently in Royal Silk or Royal First and I would say that I am welcomed "as our most valuable Platinum member" maybe 10% of the time I travel in J/C or F.

According to the blurb one is supposed to be recognised as a Platinum member on board and another of the benefits is that you should be asked for your meal choice before anybody else (with the exception of other Platinum members of course!). I was seated in 2K on TG931 from Paris last week, instead of my usual 2A and I was among the last to be asked for my meal choice. I selected the fish dish only to be told that they had only loaded four portions and they had already been chosen and could I select something else.

I asked why, as a Platinum member, I had not been asked for my choice of meal first and the cabin crew got flustered and went away to "see what she could do". She returned a few minutes later with the good news that I could have the fish, but the Captain would be disappointed. So, obviously, the flight crew get first dibs on their choice of food and the passengers come second!!! Not as it should be, in my opinion.

I have had occasion to fly recently in Economy to both Sapporo and Jakarta and on both occasions I was warmly welcomed on board by the flight purser, on the Sapporo flight I was moved to a row of three vacant seats "for more space sir", and I was asked for my choice of meal before anybody else on both flights.

It seems Platinum members traveling in Economy get more recognition than in the default premium cabins...strange behaviour??
My experience is exactly the same as yours . I no longer expect anything from my TG Plat status ( never had an upgrade in more than 3 years) and therefore I am no longer disappointed .
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lament
My experience is exactly the same as yours . I no longer expect anything from my TG Plat status ( never had an upgrade in more than 3 years) and therefore I am no longer disappointed .
Dear Lament,

How appropriate your handle is......I am not disappointed in the benefits I receive from my Platinum status, only in the lack of recognition (not really a big deal, except to highlight the disparity between recognition traveling in Economy and in J/F) and the lack of priority in meal selection, when it matters.

I think the other benefits are great and I avail of them regularly. For example, usually a week headstart over Gold on any new promotions such as discounted rewards offers; two 50% discounted rewards vouchers every year (vs one as a Gold member); unlimited PUPs (one for every 50,000 miles vs only one as a Gold member); use of the First Class lounges; guaranteed economy seat within 48 hours of departure, and blocking the seat next to me when the flight is not completely full.

Possibly, Bangkok is not your home airport, so you may not be able to avail of all of the benefits but for me its a great program.

I have received only one unsolicited upgrade in the last three years but that was never high on my list of priorities anyway.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Agreed with the observation of Thaikwai
I get preferential treatment on minimum a third of all my J flights (get served first, choose menu first, go look for a magazine etc.etc.), however when in F, no crew member cares and the TIP's get preferential treatment.
upgrades as Platinum? forget it!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thaikwai

Could it have been that 5 fish were loaded. 4 for F cabin + 1 for Captain and the Cap was giving up his to satisfy a Plat F passenger?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Could it have been that 5 fish were loaded. 4 for F cabin + 1 for Captain and the Cap was giving up his to satisfy a Plat F passenger?
No, certainly not!
I always got the meal of my choice in TG F and I can also not remember the last time I did not get the meal of my choice in J as it must be many years since...
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
Same experience.

In Y always get recognition..... seat beside is empty, meal choice first.... except once in Y, when after meal I called the FA and asked why no privilege... she went back into galley, probably to check pax manifest and came back very apologetically. I had a laugh with her after, it was a short flight anyway....

Once in J just after Christmas, someone without status gave the crew a present at boarding..... they treated him very well, though I had priority in meal choices and was served first... before arrival, the crew presented him a bottle of champagne.... they probably seen me giving them strange looks..... the In flight manager came to me and asked if I have kids etc... and gave me a bag of kids games.... hahaha.

Normally on short flight, SIN to BKK in J they tend not to remember serving Plat first ... but on long haul it is different.

My F experiences were usually pleasant, had even once where the FA tucked me into bed after meal... ����
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kapitan

My F experiences were usually pleasant, had even once where the FA tucked me into bed after meal... ����
NRT-BKK in F just as a *G I got tucked in too.
I had just come off JFK-NRT and was connecting BKK-PER. I totally zonked out after meal in a slight recline...I woke up drooling 90 min later the seat a little lower, not full flat and a blanket had been placed on me.

I'll add that on my more recent J/F flights when it comes to the other farangs the FAs will be more chatty with me usually when it comes up that I am learning Thai and/or intending to teach English in Thailand. Also on HKG-BKK I had the same purser as the NRT-BKK tuck in flight who remembered me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.