Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

BKK - questions on intl -domestic and domestic-intl TG connections BKK?

BKK - questions on intl -domestic and domestic-intl TG connections BKK?

Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Not confusing at all. Pax who are flying as an international segment (read: already stamped out of the country) will get a 'CIQ' sticker and will proceed to CIQ security in the B (domestic) concourse. Once through security pax will take the escalator to the 3rd floor which is international departures.

Upon arrival in BKK from HKT if you are confused just ask any staff. It's very easy.
This is an unusual model. In North America, there is no passport control when one leaves USA, Canada (and Mexico). So one can have both domestic and international passengers on a domestic flight - without any such stamp.

In the EU, one goes through passport control at the point of departure - so if one is going on a domestic flight connecting to an international flight, the passenger will go through passport control at the connection city.

One does not have to go through security twice, in either of the above 2 scenarios - but just in the city of the originating domestic flight.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
We are Star Alliance Gold and we will fly in business class.

Are there separate lines for incoming or outgoing immigration/passport control or security - for such passengers?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:52 am

Not confusing at all. Pax who are flying as an international segment (read: already stamped out of the country) will get a 'CIQ' sticker and will proceed to CIQ security in the B (domestic) concourse. Once through security pax will take the escalator to the 3rd floor which is international departures.

Upon arrival in BKK from HKT if you are confused just ask any staff. It's very easy.
Ah, so that's what CIQ comes into play, was wondering what that meant on BKK's airport site

I'm flyingt CNX-BKK (TG Paid Y) then connecting to BKK-SIN-DPS (SQ Award J). I guess my determination to use CIQ or not would be determined if TG interlines the baggage right to DPS. Given that they're both *A I would hope this is not an issue
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
Ah, so that's what CIQ comes into play, was wondering what that meant on BKK's airport site

I'm flyingt CNX-BKK (TG Paid Y) then connecting to BKK-SIN-DPS (SQ Award J). I guess my determination to use CIQ or not would be determined if TG interlines the baggage right to DPS. Given that they're both *A I would hope this is not an issue
yes no issue; you have to check in in CNX on the "international" part of the airport and not the domestic (first entrance when you arrive by car)
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

Are there separate lines for incoming or outgoing immigration/passport control or security - for such passengers?
BKK departure: fast track for security and immigration
BKK arrival: fast track for immigration
BKK transit: no fast track for immigration and security
at other airports like HKT or CNX no fast track
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
This is an unusual model. In North America, there is no passport control when one leaves USA, Canada (and Mexico). So one can have both domestic and international passengers on a domestic flight - without any such stamp.

In the EU, one goes through passport control at the point of departure - so if one is going on a domestic flight connecting to an international flight, the passenger will go through passport control at the connection city.

One does not have to go through security twice, in either of the above 2 scenarios - but just in the city of the originating domestic flight.
Last time I checked Thailand was neither in the US nor Europe. You're not in Kansas anymore Toto.

The system has been explained to you; that is how it works.

If you're flying TG, and I assume you are because this is the TG forum, then BinSabia's info is spot on. If you're flying another airline then it depends upon the airline.

Originally Posted by BinSabai
BKK departure: fast track for security and immigration
BKK arrival: fast track for immigration
BKK transit: no fast track for immigration and security
at other airports like HKT or CNX no fast track

No issue at all as the erstwhile BinSabia has already stated.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:32 am

Last time I checked Thailand was neither in the US nor Europe. You're not in Kansas anymore Toto.

The system has been explained to you; that is how it works.
55555^
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I decided to parse this again and am confused by something.

How you can you have domestic and international pax on the same domestic flight if no one has been stamped out of the country?

Technically they all would be domestic pax, even those connecting to an int flight.

Or have I had too many glasses of prosecco this evening?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

I decided to parse this again and am confused by something.

How you can you have domestic and international pax on the same domestic flight if no one has been stamped out of the country?

Technically they all would be domestic pax, even those connecting to an int flight.

Or have I had too many glasses of prosecco this evening?
A related question:

If a passenger plans to fly internationally starting with the domestic flight to BKK, then he/she has to go to a separate international part of the airport (eg HKT); if the same passenger flies domestically, then he/she goes to the domestic part of the airport? This has been already answered above in the affirmative.

But somehow the 2 sets of passengers board the plane at the same gate - is the gate then back in the domestic part of the airport?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:01 pm

This is my understanding - example HKT-BKK-SIN

At HKT, you have a choice of:
(A) Fly to BKK domestically
(B) Fly to BKK internationally by clearing exit passport control in HKT

The HKT-BKK plane arrives at BKK domestic gate, but you're transit experience differs in:

(A) Exit gate area, pick up luggage (?), check-in at counter (?), queue for exit passport control, queue for security, arrive at BKK-SIN gate area
(B) queue for CIQ security, arrive at BKK-SIN gate area (You can only do this because your passport has a CIQ sticker)
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:11 pm

A related question:

If a passenger plans to fly internationally starting with the domestic flight to BKK, then he/she has to go to a separate international part of the airport (eg HKT); if the same passenger flies domestically, then he/she goes to the domestic part of the airport? This has been already answered above in the affirmative.

But somehow the 2 sets of passengers board the plane at the same gate - is the gate then back in the domestic part of the airport?
the gate is of course the same; passengers come from international and domestic departure area to the same gate
in BKK they will be separated as described by Virginia Emery
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:15 pm

This is my understanding - example HKT-BKK-SIN

At HKT, you have a choice of:
(A) Fly to BKK domestically
(B) Fly to BKK internationally by clearing exit passport control in HKT

The HKT-BKK plane arrives at BKK domestic gate, but you're transit experience differs in:

(A) Exit gate area, pick up luggage (?), check-in at counter (?), queue for exit passport control, queue for security, arrive at BKK-SIN gate area
(B) queue for CIQ security, arrive at BKK-SIN gate area (You can only do this because your passport has a CIQ sticker)
your description is spot on except the CIQ sticker in the passport!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:45 am

Now I'm getting off topic, I had to change my CNX-BKK flight (connecting to SQ BKK-SIN-DPS) because TG cancelled their morning flight, so now I'm flying Thai Smiles (TG coded flight) instead - will I have any issues with interlining as I'm now flying WE operated metal ?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:52 pm

Now I'm getting off topic, I had to change my CNX-BKK flight (connecting to SQ BKK-SIN-DPS) because TG cancelled their morning flight, so now I'm flying Thai Smiles (TG coded flight) instead - will I have any issues with interlining as I'm now flying WE operated metal ?
not with interlining but with getting miles credited!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
not with interlining but with getting miles credited!
And getting lounge access in CNX. Or priority tags on any checked bags.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.