Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

TG loses the plot. No wine of *ANY* kind or colour in a BKK TG Biz lounge.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG loses the plot. No wine of *ANY* kind or colour in a BKK TG Biz lounge.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

FWIW, the poor AF lounge at BKK does offer self service beer, wine, and some stronger alcohol, even at 6 am.
For Air France I'd hope they'd have wine.

A home base Hub lounge for any major carrier not having wine is inexcusable.

It may just have been at that "E" Lounge, as I am sure TG have had wine at the larger ones. Which is entirely normal for major carrier lounges.

I stupidly spilled Champagne on my laptop keyboard in the F lounge at BKK last trip, (darn, I forgot to ask them what the bottle cost) and cooked my motherboard. Even in PEK it was $US800 to replace. OUCH! So maybe pax should not drink it.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did the champagne taste good even if you don't know its cost?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Did the champagne taste good even if you don't know its cost?
I am ashamed to admit it here, but it DID taste just fine.

But I must remember to ask next time, as the cost price is soooooooooooo important it seems.

After 32,000 posts over 16 years I always learn something new here each day.

At least the TG F lounge HAS a choice!

Last edited by ozstamps; Jan 19, 2016 at 3:29 am
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
unfortunately at the F lounge they do not serve the 250+ USD a bottle Dom as on the plane in F. It's more on the level of the champagne served in J: Veuve Clicquot and Duval Leroy. Forgot the brand. Will check it out next time I am in the F lounge, next Saturday
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
Homebase lounge - the shambles

Originally Posted by ozstamps

It may just have been at that "E" Lounge, as I am sure TG have had wine at the larger ones. Which is entirely normal for major carrier lounges.

I stupidly spilled Champagne on my laptop keyboard in the F lounge at BKK last trip, (darn, I forgot to ask them what the bottle cost) and cooked my motherboard. Even in PEK it was $US800 to replace. OUCH! So maybe pax should not drink it.

Speaking of lounge in BKK - dare I mention CX's newly renovated BKK lounge - they have a full bar, full deli and noodle a la carte restaurant service. Stunningly designed, how all the mod cons (charging sockets with USB discretely hidden but well placed) and even a proper hotel trained maitre'd rearranging the sofas after the guests leave.

Sure beats the same pastry and sandwiches for the past 6 years and a service area full of staff having their normal over-load coversation in TG lounges....
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Have you told Saudia Airlines that their hub lounge is inexcusable? What about other dry airlines (EgyptAir, for example) or lounges in countries that forbid alcohol for at least part of the year (IIRC Gulf Air during Ramadan)?

Sometimes you have to respect the local culture (broadly defined) of the airline's origins, employees and managers/owners, home base, airports, etc.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1k AC SE
Originally Posted by BinSabai
all the furniture in all 5 biz lounges have at least once been replaced since Swampy opened!
wow the stuff wears out fast.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Have you told Saudia Airlines that their hub lounge is inexcusable? What about other dry airlines (EgyptAir, for example) or lounges in countries that forbid alcohol for at least part of the year (IIRC Gulf Air during Ramadan)?

Did you actually read that bizarre and totally irrelevant post before you hit "submit"?

Thailand has no liquor restrictions anywhere in the country AFAIK, and the lounge under discussion certainly has endless Hard Liquor and Beer on hand, 365 days a year.

The post - in case you never actually read it - was regarding WINE not being offered to premium cabin travellers. Which is and remains inexcusable in a Hub lounge in BKK.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

Thailand has no liquor restrictions anywhere in the country AFAIK,
You can't sell liquor from (I think it's 2-5pm) under the new gov.
Not that it is the issue in this thread.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
You can't sell liquor from (I think it's 2-5pm) under the new gov.
Not that it is the issue in this thread.
also not in the morning and after midnight...and this has been the case for quite some time, not only under the current government
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
also not in the morning and after midnight...and this has been the case for quite some time, not only under the current government
Ah okay. I only noticed it this past trip when I was at Rimping Market and they had everything closed off in the afternoon.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
The 'odd' hours restriction on liquor sales in convenience stores has been the case since when I was living in Bangkok 2005-2007, so in excess of 10 years and before the Sep 2006 coup. Not sure when, or why, the law was instituted.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The 'odd' hours restriction on liquor sales in convenience stores was the case when I was living in Bangkok 2005-2007, so in excess of 10 years and before the Sep 2006 coup.
yes since the Thaksin government!
in the past you could get a wholesale quantity (over 20 liter of beer, wine, liquor) around the clock (always fun to advise the pretty surprised store employee what are the rules!); nowadays also this exception is gone
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Yobodon
I visited a TG lounge in December and they had wine but you have to go ask for it at the bar area.
Same for me, earlier this month. I tried the white wine, which was not good. Red or white only, no sparkling wine.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EzzerBKK
Speaking of lounge in BKK - dare I mention CX's newly renovated BKK lounge - they have a full bar, full deli and noodle a la carte restaurant service. Stunningly designed, how all the mod cons (charging sockets with USB discretely hidden but well placed) and even a proper hotel trained maitre'd rearranging the sofas after the guests leave.

Sure beats the same pastry and sandwiches for the past 6 years and a service area full of staff having their normal over-load coversation in TG lounges....
The new CX lounge is fantastic. It has great seating areas, beautiful design, stunning views, and - unlike the TG lounges - it's QUIET. Yes, no PA announcements bleeding in from the airport itself. It's also very close to the G gates where the CX flights depart.

CX runs a great operation at BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.