Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways to return to profitability next month.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Airways to return to profitability next month.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I think that biggest problem with this thread is that no one knows which "next month" they meant in the title of this topic "Thai Airways to return to profitability next month. "

AFAIK, the thread started in December 2015, and it is already February 2016...
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vbroucek
I think that biggest problem with this thread is that no one knows which "next month" they meant in the title of this topic "Thai Airways to return to profitability next month. "

AFAIK, the thread started in December 2015, and it is already February 2016...
A bit like the sign in the bar: "Free Beer Tomorrow". Or the Military Junta claiming "elections will be held in 2015, or 2016, or 2017...".

Seriously, who knows what the President of THAI meant, but the Q4 numbers were "profitable" (4 Billion THB, and an Y2015 loss of 14 billion THB), as pre-announced. The official presentation is scheduled for today.

THAI under pressure to act

THE NATION February 29, 2016 1:00 am

THE NOK AIR crisis is expected to figure prominently at today’s board meeting of Thai Airways International, the largest Nok Air shareholder holding nearly a 40-per-cent stake, which is under increasing pressure to act, according to investment analysts.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30280414.html
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THAI’s performance improves and expects to make profits this year

Thai Airways International chalked up net loss amounting to 13.06 billion baht for its performance throughout last year compared to 15.61 billion baht registered in 2014.
Last year’s performance was better than projection by analysts that the national flag carrier was expected to lose up to 14 billion baht.

Despite the net loss throughout the year, the fourth quarter’s performance saw a turn-around with the airline grossing 5,051 million baht in profit while accumulated loss for the first three quarters of the year totaled 18.1 billion baht.

As for this year’s performance, THAI has predicted that it will make profit, amounting to about two billion baht for the whole year.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/152901

THAI turns to net profit in Q4

Thai Airways International Plc said it had returned to profit in the fourth quarter, shrinking its 2015 loss as a restructuring that reduced operating costs and boosted passenger revenues bore fruit.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...t-profit-in-q4

Last edited by transpac; Feb 29, 2016 at 3:40 am
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:41 am

Oil (single biggest expense for any airline) at a 10-year low CHECK
Having cut many bad, money losing routes CHECK
Massive cuts all across the board that will hurt long-term but save short-term CHECK
All other airlines are posting record profits CHECK

Thai Airways maybe posting an even result ONLY IN THAILAND
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:19 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
As per the article PG is making money. So how is it that an airline that offers excellent standards of service, flies only to a few destinations (and is exposed to low cost competition on at a few of them) can make money and TG cannot. These lounges (for all passengers) in BKK, USM or PNH must cost PG a small fortune...

BTW... sorry for OT'ing...
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TPJ
As per the article PG is making money. So how is it that an airline that offers excellent standards of service, flies only to a few destinations (and is exposed to low cost competition on at a few of them) can make money and TG cannot. These lounges (for all passengers) in BKK, USM or PNH must cost PG a small fortune...

BTW... sorry for OT'ing...
As a Premier for 5 years running I like PG, quite a bit.

However their standards have decreased, meals have nose-dived, and they fly to several airports they own (USM, TDX, and THS) charging premiums for those segments. They've also cut many routes over the years and recently added UTH that list.

They also aren't bloated with staff nor a member of an alliance giving benefits to OAL elites.

Their FFP leaves much to be desired and outside of the 50% or 70% off award promos FlyerBonus is rather worthless. The only reason I'd go slightly out of my way to maintain Premier is because most of my flights are international and I receive a FastTrack coupon for each int departure/arrival.

TG and PG are very different animals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.