Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Did TG remove codeshare with ThaiSmile on some domestic routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.

Maybe I missed the announcement, maybe there wasn't an announcement and maybe it's just a temporary glitch or simply a mess.

I'm looking for domestic flights in Jan, Feb and March on thaiarways.com
The main routes (BKK-HKT and BKK-CNX) come up more or less as always, just with some TG flights operated by A320.

Some less frequented domestic routes were so far operated by Thai Smile and bookable on TG as code share.
This is still the case for example for Khon Kaen.

However it does not appear to be the case anymore for example for Udon Thani or Ubon Ratchathani.

Error message:
We are unable to find recommendations for your search.
Please change your search criteria and resubmit the search. (66002 [-1])

Not a big problem to book it on Thai Smile, but I'm just wondering if they might stop service to those cities completely or change to DMK?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Codeshare flights by TG are available booking with Expedia (and probably other OTA). I did this back in Oct when the Mrs was travelling around, and I was hoping for the TG luggage allowance vs Thai Smile's.

The flights to both UTH and UBP show on ExpertFlyer as codeshares.

However, I have no idea why the codeshare sectors are not available on THAI's own website.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
just 2 days ago on TG domestic. noticed that flights with Thai Smile to Chiang Mai as well as to Udon Thani had also TG 4 digit numbers
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice Thai Kiwi and Bin Sabai.

It appears that Thai IT is just working on it at the moment.
I got 2 different error messages in the last 5 minutes and
now I finally get an availability for Thai Smile again via the
Thai Airways page.

So all is good.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'm just seeing this now and you already have your answer but I flew UBP->BKK on Sunday with WE and it was TG codeshared.

Is there a reason you want the codeshare? Often I'm seeing the WE flights cheaper when booked as WE rather than through the TG portal.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dsquared37, for Mrs TK it was the TG luggage allowance of 30 kg for domestic vs WE's 20kg for 'Smile' class that drove me to specifically want the TG code-share to UBP/UTH.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
dsquared37, for Mrs TK it was the TG luggage allowance of 30 kg for domestic vs WE's 20kg for 'Smile' class that drove me to specifically want the TG code-share to UBP/UTH.
My understanding is the allowances/benefits were based upon the metal not the codeshare.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
My understanding is the allowances/benefits were based upon the metal not the codeshare.
Since I didn't fly with her, I'm not sure - all I know is she had no issues with bag weight for checkin. Her expedia ticket baggage entitlement simply links to the THAI web domestic baggage page (30kg). Similarly, a dummy booking on THAI website directly links to their domestic baggage web page, again 30kg.

That said, I was curious and some browsing suggests IATA rules mean the operating carrier's baggage rules apply (ie WE's 20kg). I'd be curious, then, what would happen on an international connecting flight from XXX-BKK-UTH - would teh THAI e-ticket state 30kg for each sector? and if so, would WE honour this? From some travel web forum it seems YMMV.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
just 2 days ago on TG domestic. noticed that flights with Thai Smile to Chiang Mai as well as to Udon Thani had also TG 4 digit numbers
I too was looking at BKK-CNX in Feb and it was showing the A320 flights w/o the Thai Smile logo on maybe 3 of the flights, 2 still showed the Smile logo and then there were the usual wide bodies scattered throughout the day.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: ROP

dsquared37, I used to book the CEI-BKK flight on TG website which is cheaper than on WE website.

JVPhoto, TG also has A320 in their own fleet.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
That said, I was curious and some browsing suggests IATA rules mean the operating carrier's baggage rules apply (ie WE's 20kg). I'd be curious, then, what would happen on an international connecting flight from XXX-BKK-UTH - would teh THAI e-ticket state 30kg for each sector? and if so, would WE honour this? From some travel web forum it seems YMMV.
If your hypothetical XXX-BKK was on TG then I'm sure WE would allow the higher baggage allowances. If on another carrier I'd think they'd follow the 'most significant carrier' rules.

Originally Posted by joy16
dsquared37, I used to book the CEI-BKK flight on TG website which is cheaper than on WE website.

JVPhoto, TG also has A320 in their own fleet.
There was a time where flights were cheaper on TG's site but I haven't seen this in some time. If purchasing WE metal my recent experience is that the best prices can be found on WE's site.

As for the A320s, TG 'bought' back some from WE because the frames were needed for short international hops that used to be served by the 734s once Laos and Cambodia (and possibly others) argued their landing allowances were for TG not WE.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:41 pm

Ahhh okay I thought all of the A320s got Smiled which is why it stuck out as an oddity to me.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Ahhh okay I thought all of the A320s got Smiled which is why it stuck out as an oddity to me.
All the A320s were directed at purchase toward TG but a few were then brought back into the TG fold.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:19 pm

Went to the TG flight to look up the times and $ for the Smile CNX-HKT flight. Wasn't showing up, only TG flights connecting through BKK. I know for a fact it used to be on there because I booked the flight for 2 friends this past December.
Anyways, popped over to the Thai Smile site and (naturally) it was there.
Not sure if this means TG is not going to show any more Smile options.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

How to contact Thai Smile?

...so I finally went ahead and booked with Thai Smile because there was no published fare from CNX to UBP on TG. A bit stupid to have it in two separate records, but there is ample connecting time, so not a big issue.

That wasn't so hard to book on their site instead of the TG site.
Received the Travel Itinerary / Receipt promptly and I can also retrieve my reservation on the Thai Smile webpage. The itinerary is confirmed and the payment is approved.

Great. Almost.

I can't see my e-ticket number anywhere, so I assume that it's not issued and the booking was done more than two weeks ago.

...and now comes the reason why I'd be happy to have have booked via the Thai Website and not Thai Smile.
I can't find an e-mail address to contact Thai Smile anywhere. There is a contact form to fill out online, but that fails due to "invalid e-mail. Whatever I fill into that field.
The reservation code seems to be proprietary to Thai Smile, because I cannot retrieve the booking with checkmytrip or Thai webpage.

Question:
Is there any e-mail address to contact Thai Smile?
I'd like to avoid calling the helpdesk (Tel. 02-118-8888) from abroad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.