Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

THAI same day turnaround BKK-DPS-BKK possible ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Hi all,

there is a juicy J fare ex-ICN where the cost ICN-BKK-DPS return is about the same than ICN-BKK-ICN (~1.15m KRW).

I have no time to spend in Bali, but could make a 'day trip' out and back with a quick turn-around at DPS. In J and with no luggage, this could be tempting as it nearly doubles the mileage for the same ticket cost. Flights have 1:55 between arrival and departure:

TG431 0850-1415 BKK-DPS
TG432 1610-1925 DPS-BKK

Some questions/points:

• My EF account tells me TG-TG MCT at DPS is 1:00, and the turnaround connection is bookable as a part of a ICN-BKK-DPS//DPS-BKK-ICN return multi-city booking. However, a 'simple' BKK-DPS-BKK is not bookable on a simple same day return on the TG website. Nor can it be booked on expedia or orbitz, so not sure if there is a critical issue here - either specific to TG sales, or to procedures at DPS.

• Could I get the return boarding pass for DPS-BKK issued at Bangkok when checking in for the outbound?

• Travel forums note that international connections at DPS have required, in some cases, to enter Indonesia, get a VoA and then go through departure processes - obviously this is less desirable. Any insight to current practices?

Grateful for any feedback on the 'do-ability' of a same-day turnaround in DPS.

Cheers, TK
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
the key is the international transit in DPS, whether it is possible to transit without immigration.
maybe you check the destination Forum?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: TG, SQ, CX
Dear Thai-Kiwi,

This sounds like something I can use, but haven't been able to replicate. Would you be able to give me some pointers on how to book?

Thank you very much.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:07 am

Hi

I am not going to comment on why u want to just do a quick turn around in DPS? I do think that you may actually need to get a VoA when you enter Bali (Indonesia), that's extra cost to you. Your situation is a unique one indeed, as you have no luggage and holding return boarding pass, you might actually be considered a "transit" passenger. I hope someone who knows better than I am can give u a more definite answer on that one. Good luck, and I hope you will make an actual visit to Bali, it's beautiful.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Also remember that there is a volcano risk that can lead to flight cancellations to/from DPS. The volcano has been good in the past two weeks, but one is never sure. If your outbound flight BKK-DPS is cancelled, you might be rebooked for the next days. Maybe you can convince TG to cancel the BKK-DPS-BKK segments altogether, but that will require arguing and lost time.
I vaguely remember that there was a transit/transfer sign when arriving at DPS a few months ago. But not sure what it entails. In any case, what was true a year ago might not apply today; this is Bali.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Plans have moved along and for me this interesting opportunity has passed. Pity, and thanks for the comments.

DivaTraveller. The aim was/is to maximise miles/segments. The fare ICN-BKK-DPS-BKK-ICN costs the same as just ICN-BKK-ICN, and nearly doubles the mileage. Sometimes this kind of run is called a Mileage Run, and the destination for the turnaround has no specific purpose to be visited beyond gaining points.

SSBK. The fare I looked at was on the THAI website in Korea (www.thaiair.co.kr) but the global site gives the same fare, booked using the multi-city tool with the following sectors in business class:

ICN-BKK 16 Jan TG629
BKK-DPS 18 Jan TG431
DPS-BKK 18 Jan TG432
BKK-ICN 23 Jan TG656

Prices at KRW 1,153,500 (USD 1,006), fare code JH30DKR, still available to DPS, and a few other regional cities.

Cheers, TK
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Plans have moved along and for me this interesting opportunity has passed. Pity, and thanks for the comments.

DivaTraveller. The aim was/is to maximise miles/segments. The fare ICN-BKK-DPS-BKK-ICN costs the same as just ICN-BKK-ICN, and nearly doubles the mileage. Sometimes this kind of run is called a Mileage Run, and the destination for the turnaround has no specific purpose to be visited beyond gaining points.

SSBK. The fare I looked at was on the THAI website in Korea (www.thaiair.co.kr) but the global site gives the same fare, booked using the multi-city tool with the following sectors in business class:

ICN-BKK 16 Jan TG629
BKK-DPS 18 Jan TG431
DPS-BKK 18 Jan TG432
BKK-ICN 23 Jan TG656

Prices at KRW 1,153,500 (USD 1,006), fare code JH30DKR, still available to DPS, and a few other regional cities.

Cheers, TK
An amazing fare and an exciting itinerary, now only if Transit works out in your favour. Than gives you 16600 miles without taking into consideration any promotional bonuses. Good for you.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
An amazing fare and an exciting itinerary, now only if Transit works out in your favour. Than gives you 16600 miles without taking into consideration any promotional bonuses. Good for you.
I've decided on SIN rather than CGK or DPS. A much 'safer option' in terms of the same day turnaround. Although much reduced mileage, it is still doesnt add any cost at all...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.