Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Valid award route (SIN-NRT-LAX / NYC-SIN) ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys, I'm looking to book award travel from SIN or BKK to LAX and return from the east coast. I was wondering if what I'm thinking of is a valid routing with stopovers for a round-trip itinerary with stopovers.

Looking at the award chart, I'd like to do the Asia 1 - North America round-trip in business class for 192,000 and reading the terms and conditions, I'm just not sure what exactly is meant by

Awards are for round-trip travel on the most direct route possible
e.g. if I'd like to travel from BKK to LAX does that mean I can do that only on the BKK-LAX non-stop, or can I route via Asia 3 (Tokyo) with a stopover there?

Basically, what I'd like to do is this:

SIN (or BKK) - NRT (stopover) - LAX / NYC - SIN (or BKK or HKT).

Is that a valid round-trip (open-jaw) with a stopover as per the program's terms? i.e. will the cost in business class for such an itinerary be 192,000 miles?

p.s. Is SQ business class bookable with Royal Orchid miles provided I see Saver space on Singaporeair.com?

Thank you
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:31 pm

Don't know about the other questions but I do know the Saver inventory on SQ.com is only for KrisFlyer miles redemptions. Their partner availability is usually very different from what you see on their website. You can check ANA's website for SQ partner availability.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by scibuff
Is SQ business class bookable with Royal Orchid miles provided I see Saver space on Singaporeair.com?
No. That's completely different availability.

I don't believe SQ releases business class seats to/from the U.S to *A partners, except possibly to LH M&M.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Note also Thai don't run a non-stop service BKK-LAX anymore.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by travelislife
Note also Thai don't run a non-stop service BKK-LAX anymore.
did they ever? I recall in the past LAX was through KIX and since a couple of years through ICN.
There was a nonstop service to JFK (because SQ also had one) for just a short time but it was axed as revenues and costs did not match
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BinSabai
did they ever? I recall in the past LAX was through KIX and since a couple of years through ICN.
There was a nonstop service to JFK (because SQ also had one) for just a short time but it was axed as revenues and costs did not match
The nonstop JFK flight was axed but the LAX flight was kept for a few more years before then going through ICN a few (3 or 4 ??) years ago.

There had been talk of going through KIX around the beginning of 2009 IIRC but that didn't go through and the non-stop BKK-LAX remained for a bit longer.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BinSabai
The nonstop JFK flight was axed but the LAX flight was kept for a few more years before then going through ICN a few (3 or 4 ??) years ago.

There had been talk of going through KIX around the beginning of 2009 IIRC but that didn't occur and the non-stop BKK-LAX remained for a bit longer.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37

There had been talk of going through KIX around the beginning of 2009 IIRC but that didn't occur and the non-stop BKK-LAX remained for a bit longer.
I remember around 2002 having been on a BKK-KIX-LAX flight with an old 747 and there was no direct BKK-LAX flight back then. This one came later on the infamous A-340-500. Not sure when. Looks like it was axed 2012
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...3-bkk-lax.html
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:48 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Back to the actual topic...

The T&C state that you can have one stopover so your NRT stop should be fine.

And from the award chart it also looks like you will have no issues with 192K points.

The only open question I'd have is do they support open jaws.

Everything else looks fine for what you need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.