Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

thai airways still safe to fly should i cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

thai airways still safe to fly should i cancel

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BinSabai
so would you then rate ALL Asian Airlines as a higher risk then those mentioned from Europe, USA and Australia? Also SQ, CX, JAL, NH just to name a few etc.?
Nah, you're reading too much into my list, which was never intended to be exhaustive. I agree those carriers are considered very safe. Although SQ has had a few issues . . . .

Last edited by Kacee; May 16, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Old May 16, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
just noticed that you listed NOT ONE of the Asian Airlines among your list of most safe! Freudian?
Old May 16, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, I think most aviation professionals would rate TG, along with quite a few other airlines around the world, as higher risks than the airlines which are generally viewed as safest (e.g., BA, LH, QF, and the US legacies). Statistically, the increased risk is not significant, however, and the likelihood of an incident is basically random and completely unpredictable. A good example is the GermanWings suicide pilot. LH is viewed as one of the safest airlines in the world, and yet . . . .
I agree with you.

The probability of an accident due to lax safety implementation is very low. Until the accident, the assessment of safety risk is partly subjective based on a set of indicators such as those used by ICAO. It could be that the airline is a bit careless in checking that pilots follow proper procedures, that the maintenance program of the airplane is not strictly followed, that airworthiness certificates and licenses are granted with lax procedures, etc...
For example, some have blamed AF pilots culture for some AF accidents.
Apparently, Thailand procedures have been quite lax at many levels. There is little doubt that it increases safety risk. Whether that increase is "significant" is another question.
The most likely scenario is that Thailand and Thai Airways will tighten their procedures to international standards and that everything will be fine.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
just noticed that you listed NOT ONE of the Asian Airlines among your list of most safe! Freudian?
Yeah I also left off AC, so apparently I'm biased against Canadians, too
Old May 17, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I think it was more about seizing the opportunity to half-quote and then dutifully correct my comments. We all have our dedicated followers after all...

Commercial air travel remains an extremely safe form of travel. Among the majors I might have pause with MS or SU but that is about it.

SunLover
Old May 17, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
3 Countries that have banned TG from adding new flights:
  • China
  • South Korea
  • Japan
More accurately, and I think it's an important distinction to make for the OP, 3 countries have banned the addition of new flights by any Thai airline...the rules are not aimed at TG specifically. Absolutely, the governance of the entire Thai aviation sector is at question here but I think we can safely assume that there are airlines operating in and out of Thailand which raise far greater concerns than TG.
Old May 17, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by SunLover
Commercial air travel remains an extremely safe form of travel. Among the majors I might have pause with MS or SU but that is about it.
I don't think it would be irrational to choose a US legacy (or CX or NH) over Asiana, for example, based on safety concerns. It would be very very conservative, but not irrational.

But that doesn't stop me from flying OZ or TG.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:30 pm

http://www.eturbonews.com/58480/reas...safety-problem

"Even more important, in the beginning of the negotiations, AvCon had its engineers look at the aircraft using video borescopes it was to make offers on. Two of the aircraft’s engines required an overhaul, and C4 checks had not been done although the airline’s specifications not only did not reveal that information, but went even further indicating the C4 checks had been done."

Having flown with TG, now knowing this, I won't be setting foot onto any of their aircraft again....
Old May 18, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by fritzzz25
Having flown with TG, now knowing this, I won't be setting foot onto any of their aircraft again....
If you can identify who's telling the truth in this commercial dispute you're smarter than me.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

i was hoping to find out specifically about there a380's surely those planes are newer and in good order. plus i find it strange that nothing has been said in uk media or us news yet is this literally a case of the short haul is being stretched as all budget carriers do. and the more expensive long haul flights are ok and as they fly only once a day from Heathrow to Bangkok the safety checks more stringent, there has tp be some checks done on them in the uk by English ground crews

Last edited by chris555; May 18, 2015 at 4:38 pm
Old May 19, 2015, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by chris555
i was hoping to find out specifically about there a380's surely those planes are newer and in good order. plus i find it strange that nothing has been said in uk media or us news yet is this literally a case of the short haul is being stretched as all budget carriers do. and the more expensive long haul flights are ok and as they fly only once a day from Heathrow to Bangkok the safety checks more stringent, there has tp be some checks done on them in the uk by English ground crews
There is no guarantee that a new plane won't suffer from problems...the Qantas A380 uncontained engine failure is an example of that.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: TG, SQ, CX
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Which plane crashes are you referring to specifically?

I ask because I don't recall Malaysian Airlines, Air Asia, Trans-asia, Asiana Airlines, German Wings, Turkish Airlines or Delta facing anything like Thai Airways International is facing: being notified ICAO on their safety issues.
Exactly, what were ICAO's comments on TG? I may have missed it.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
TG is very safe! I wouldn't think twice about booking them again.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by SSBKK
Exactly, what were ICAO's comments on TG? I may have missed it.
ICAO criticizes numerous procedures in place in Thailand. These procedures, or lack thereoff, apply to all Thai airlines under supervision, including TG. So TG is directly involved.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: TG, SQ, CX
Originally Posted by brunos
ICAO criticizes numerous procedures in place in Thailand. These procedures, or lack thereoff, apply to all Thai airlines under supervision, including TG. So TG is directly involved.
I think ICAO only inspected the DCA and made comments in relation to DCA. It is not unreasonable to say that TG, as an airline that is overseen by DCA, may have some shortfalls due to having a lax regulator. However, your references make it sound like ICAO inspected TG and gave it a failing grade which is inaccurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.