Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby when using Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Standby when using Miles

So we are considering booking an itinerary that is completely operated by Thai Airways but we will be booking it via United.com using MileagePlus miles. We have an itinerary that goes from LAX-ICN-BKK-HKT with a 3 hour layover in both ICN and BKK. We noticed that Thai operates a flight that leaves only an hour after our flight arrives in ICN (It is actually the flight from LAX just continuing to BKK) but United won't let us book that flight as it looks like there is no award space. My question is will Thai let us go on standby for that earlier flight to BKK leaving from ICN even if our itinerary is booked with MileagePlus miles? Any help would be great!
Old May 12, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This is subject to the policies and rules of the operating carrier (TG), not the ticketing carrier (UA MP).

Also this is not a codeshare situation, and using that phraseology may confuse people.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by woakley5
So we are considering booking an itinerary that is completely operated by Thai Airways but we will be booking it via United.com using MileagePlus miles. We have an itinerary that goes from LAX-ICN-BKK-HKT with a 3 hour layover in both ICN and BKK. We noticed that Thai operates a flight that leaves only an hour after our flight arrives in ICN (It is actually the flight from LAX just continuing to BKK) but United won't let us book that flight as it looks like there is no award space. My question is will Thai let us go on standby for that earlier flight to BKK leaving from ICN even if our itinerary is booked with MileagePlus miles? Any help would be great!
probably not unless TG can put you on the standby list when you leave LAX
however the TG layover in ICN is listed as 1:30 connection not 1 hr which is the case you might be able to do it if the transit screening point in the concourse is open at your arrival time
Old May 13, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I would ask in LAX at check in, whether they can rebook you on the earlier/direct flight; they might book you when seats are available or put you on standby
your layover would actually be longer then 3 hours as the next flight to Bangkok departs 3 hours later then the plane from LAX
Old May 13, 2015, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
If historical trends hold I'd say no.

Twice when asking to take an earlier TG flight, having booked an award through UA, I was told to call UA.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
adding datapoint -

I was on UA award tix (UA Global First/TG J)and asked to standby on an earlier flight from HKT-BKK when checking in.

Agent typed a bit, made a call, then apologetically said "not on a UA award ticket"

spent four hours in TG lounge in HKT rather than in Spa in BKK
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Another data point, for a first class booking through Aeroplan (014).

HKT-BKK, we ended up arriving very early, for numerous reasons.

They put us on standby, and cleared us around T-55.

Less time in HKT's lounge, and more time in BKK's F lounge. Hard to complain about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.