Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-BKK-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive club Gold ,Skywards
HKG-BKK-HKG

I'm flying HKG-BKK-HKG in first next January . I know its still a long way off but seems like the first cabin will have the older style seat and not the semi private "suites" . What do you think the chances are of Thai changing the 747 to a refurbished one ?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
you should not 100% count on First Class service on that route as only the B744 and A380 cabins offer First Calls at all - the A340-fleet will be phased out next month and TG also intends to phase our several B744 still during this year. You may be lucky if one or two flights will continue to be operated by B744 incl First Class but nothing is for sure over such a long period.....
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
there is currently still a A380 with F in the morning (flight back afternoon) and a B747 with F late afternoon and return at night. This might change as Creole Spirit mentioned.
Actually for such a short flight it really does not matter whether it is the suites (9 seats) or seat (10 seats) version as service is the same. I would even prefer the 10 seats version as cabin seems to be more open. If you have a longer flight and want to sleep. then suite version is of course better
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jasensteve
What do you think the chances are of Thai changing the 747 to a refurbished one ?
Completely unpredictable. They swap back and forth all the time on that route.

Even more uncertainty than usual now due to TG's plans to cut routes and retire aircraft.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Completely unpredictable. They swap back and forth all the time on that route.
not really. the 747 in the afternoon/evening is scheduled since years and the A380 in the morning/abernoon since they got the first A380
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BinSabai
not really. the 747 in the afternoon/evening is scheduled since years and the A380 in the morning/abernoon since they got the first A380
I was responding to OP's question, namely, which version of the 747 will show up at the gate?

That is completely unpredictable.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive club Gold ,Skywards
ok thanks for all your replies , I will just have to wait and see
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:20 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Huh, so we are talking about January 2016? So many things may happen - just review your reservation from time to time via http://classic.checkmytrip.com/
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by BinSabai
I have had that downgraded to a 333 once, another time cancelled all together ! The 380 was out for a while too.

With TG, it is really unpredictable when it is short haul intr-asia, and that's why there is a term on FT TG'ed !
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I'm booked on this route for Easter in J. Going there on a 744, returning on a 333. An op up to F on the 744 would be nice!

That being said, what's the J product like on both planes? Never flown TG J before. Will enjoy adding it to the other international J products I have sampled on QF, QR, CX, AY, and MH.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Isochronous
An op up to F on the 744 would be nice
Oh come on, really?? Why's that? Y and C are both sold out and F is wide open and you are ROP*P on a full fare C fare? Or you are "special"?

You can do stand-by upgrade at a fee of $150 USD in the past unless your ticket is a discount/award one.

More info here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...s-thai-21.html

Originally Posted by Isochronous
That being said, what's the J product like on both planes? Never flown TG J before. Will enjoy adding it to the other international J products I have sampled on QF, QR, CX, AY, and MH.
The B747 C is like MH angled J. The A330 is like CX/SQ regional C. Both are angle lie flat with more legroom on the B747.

You get fast track in BKK but not in HKG...The usually priority check-in/boarding/luggage/lounge etc.

Food wise depends on time of travel whether that is breakfast (TG603/600) lunch (TG601) or dinner (TG606/607/602). You can do the book to cook service and some people find the food too oily on TG compared to other C class carriers such as LH/LX.

Much better than a 2 hours 10 min flight in business class Europe (LH/LX) or F class (2 cabin) US (UA/US) but otherwise time just pass quickly.

Enjoy.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by kinchai
Oh come on, really?? Why's that? Y and C are both sold out and F is wide open and you are ROP*P on a full fare C fare? Or you are "special"?
I got my last op upgrade on HKG BKK more than 5 years ago and fly this 4-5 times per year and have Platinum membership

by the way: Kinchai did a very comprehensive and accurate advise!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
IMO for a short two hour flight the biggest benefit of TG F would be the ground services at BKK:

Departure: pleasant check in experience, F lounge and spa.
Arrival: buggy ride to immigration and expedited handling.

SunLover
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by SunLover
IMO for a short two hour flight the biggest benefit of TG F would be the ground services at BKK:

Departure: pleasant check in experience, F lounge and spa.
Arrival: buggy ride to immigration and expedited handling.
indeed; ground service in HKG a bit less; buggy ride to immigration (instead of taking the train) on arrival but no fast track for immigration
on departure no buggy, no fast track, just F lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.