Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

National airline will not be allowed to declare bankruptcy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National airline will not be allowed to declare bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by jimyvr
It's 777-300ER
Yup, if they were really (planning on) sending a 777-300 the website would show 777-200/300...not 777-300...as confusing as that is!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well, since UAL increased the miles for TG F class from the US I did a trip under the old rate of 70k in F one last time, Did the 747 from LHR to BKK and just got off the A380 in NRT. I have to say being at BKK for an 8:00am flight was made so much easier by the 1 hour massage I got. the FAs are always amazing and my flt to NRT was no exception. TG is a great airline IMHO.

It will be sad if they lose a lot of their F class. I was surprised about DPS-BKK. Did this routing in June and it was full both ways.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:44 am

Thai F is superb. One of the few carriers left still serving caviar! I am a TG fan.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: Thai Royal Orchid Gold, Flying Blue Gold, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
2 class 77W. So at least the J class will be an improvement.

Try http://airlineroute.net/category/thai/ ...and be sure to check regularly.
Awesome! Thank you SO much!

Finally no more horrible 170 degree angled seats! I hated those!

Thanks
GJ
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by true1976
Awesome! Thank you SO much!

Finally no more horrible 170 degree angled seats! I hated those!

Thanks
GJ
but F is gone! that's not awesome! But I bet it will come back and not only continue on the A380

the good news is that the F lounge in BKK will be less crowded^
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BinSabai
but F is gone!
What? Long live F!!!!

[apologies to The Who]
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
sorry what is a 77B? with lie flat seats in J? or with F?
I think TGflyergirl meant B77W aka 777-300ER. You probably know already: No F but new lie flat J (staggered seats)
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I think TGflyergirl meant B77W aka 777-300ER. You probably know already: No F but new lie flat J (staggered seats)
yes thanks! that's why I was whining! F on A340-600 with the old chairs was still miles ahead of the J on the new 777-300ER. and there is also a risk of a airplane swap to the normal 777-300 with its terrible 2-3-2 angled flat seats in J
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes but Singapore has 3 times as much, over 900k with a population smaller than Sweden
It is like comparing apples and pears...Obviosuly, a short 2 hour flight rather than 10+ hours from Sweden makes a big difference. I dont know the number of visitors from SIN to say France or Italy but I guess it is significantly lower than the number of Swedish visitors (and much lower than the number of Swedish vistors to TH).

By the way, can you imagine the number of Scandinavian visitors to TH during during winter time if TH was only a 2 hour flight away? I guess the number of visitors would probably be 10 times higher (but is just my less qualified guess )

Last edited by SK AAR; Jan 30, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes thanks! that's why I was whining! F on A340-600 with the old chairs was still miles ahead of the J on the new 777-300ER. and there is also a risk of a airplane swap to the normal 777-300 with its terrible 2-3-2 angled flat seats in J
As far as I know the 777-300 were never used for the European flights - only the 777-200ER (which also has angled flat seats anyway)
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
It is like comparing apples and pears...Obviosuly, a short 2 hour flight rather than 10+ hours from Sweden makes a big difference. I dont know the number of visitors from SIN to say France or Italy but I guess it is significantly lower than the number of Swedish visitors (and much lower than the number of Swedish vistors to TH).
you are of course right that the distances are different
on the other side Western visitors to Thailand often think that they are the largest group of visitors but in fact more arriving tourists are coming from Asia
But European tourists stay of course in average longer; many Scandinavians during the whole winter. There are many "Scandinavian villages" in Thailand...
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I don't know but when I am in Phuket it's mostly Chinese and Russians. Haven't had any experience with Italians or Scandinavians.
I do not think that you see as many Chinese in Phuket anymore. And Russians are dropping too because of their currency, but that is recent. Recent Statistics would be interesting.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by brunos
I do not think that you see as many Chinese in Phuket anymore. And Russians are dropping too because of their currency, but that is recent. Recent Statistics would be interesting.
Took the late QR flight out of HKT a little bit back (was at 23:55) - was blown away to see on the departures a constant stream of widebodies going to a variety of Chinese & Russian points i'd never heard of departing throughout the night. You don't see them in the hotels - I guess they have their own particular favourites. But they are there!

I only have stats up to Oct 14 (for Thailand as a whole) comparing the same months in 2013 but Russian arrivals were at 1.2 million (up 3.2% on 2013). To put that in context, that's more than UK & German arrivals combined - a huge number of people, and I am surprised there is not a premium market for TG to tap into.

Chinese arrivals were over 3 million, but that was a 17% drop over 2013 arrivals for the same months.

ASEAN arrivals were significantly down. If Madrid's being cut it's not surprising with Spanish arrivals being about 16% of those from the UK.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
You don't see them in the hotels - I guess they have their own particular favourites.
Yes, you most certainly do see Russian tourists in the hotels. And the beaches and just about everywhere else in Phuket. Businesses with signs and menus in Russian are now commonplace.

It will be interesting to see how that flow is affected by the oil glut and its effects on the Russian economy.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Many tourists from Asian countries, in particular from China, Korea and Japan come with group tours or on a package tour. Often they stay at mid to low end hotels, which focus on those type of tourists. Only a minority relax at beaches, group tours have a tough program to maximize the return from 3-5 days stay in Thailand. So they are probably not so visible like the average Western tourist, who visit a couple of days Bangkok or Chiang Mai and spend then 10 or more days at the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.