Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Crew failed to secure galley; food explosion all over floor during takeoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, CX Gold, AA, UA, DL

I was recently on BKK-RGN in J on the A330, sitting in the second row. I booked LHR-BKK (BR) then BKK-RGN (TG) using UA miles.

Before the flight, my wife and I had pre-ordered meals through the Thai website.

During the preflight checks, the crew apparently failed to secure one of the cabinets in the forward galley holding a large number of meals.

This became apparent when during takeoff the cabinet door flew open and all the meals inside flew out and landed all over the floor, causing an ungodly mess. No one was hurt but someone probably could have been very easily!

To add insult to injury, we were served last out of all the J passengers and offered no choice of meals at all - just the fried rice that none of the other passengers had wanted. The crew basically shrugged and said "sorry we lost your meal" - it wasn't much of an apology though. I would have expected a more sincere apology upfront, something like "we're incredibly sorry, what can we offer you instead, how can we make this up to you?" Plus there was no drink service until the flight was already descending - leaving me about 2.5 minutes to chug my Singha beer before the crew came around to collect it.

My expectations weren't too high given that this is such a short route, but even so, I feel that the crew was negligent in failing to secure the galley appropriately and the J service as a result was unacceptably poor. Would you agree?

Is there a complaints team at TG that I can raise this to and request some sort of compensation? What do you think would be appropriate to ask for?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA/AA
It was unfortunate that there was an accident , but what do you really expect? Were you really hungry after that one hour flight? Perhaps you can ask to be served first on your return flight. No use crying over spilled milk.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tearsplash
Is there a complaints team at TG that I can raise this to and request some sort of compensation? What do you think would be appropriate to ask for?
Your food accidentally fell on the floor. It looks like your main problem is that the FAs didn't grovel in apology enough to suit you. This is a hard thing to file a complaint about as there is no quantitative metric to measure an acceptable level of inflight groveling. Short flight, nobody starved, give it up.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
It was unfortunate that there was an accident , but what do you really expect? Were you really hungry after that one hour flight? Perhaps you can ask to be served first on your return flight. No use crying over spilled milk.
I believe in this case it's tom kha.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
... The crew basically shrugged and said "sorry we lost your meal" - it wasn't much of an apology though. I would have expected a more sincere apology upfront, something like "we're incredibly sorry, what can we offer you instead, how can we make this up to you?" .....
Considering that English is not the first language of the TG flight attendants and these events don't happen on a daily basis, I wouldn't blame them if they just said "sorry we lost your meal".
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
at least they said sorry
FA from certain western carriers would only bemoan themselves that they have to clean up the whole mess...
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: ROP Gold
You could try complaining.

However, I think you will merely get a standard Thai apology reply (if any).

Last edited by anaidross; Jan 11, 2015 at 3:04 am
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Think of it like a menu:

One choice from row 1, one choice from row 2, one choice from row 3.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
If English was flight attendants' first language and you could easily get something like these:

"Sorry dude, s**t happens!"

does this make you feel better?

One a more serious note- I am surprised drinks were not served before a meal on TG in J. But then I am used to 2+hours flight time.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kinchai
If English was flight attendants' first language and you could easily get something like these:

"Sorry dude, s**t happens!"
^
or maybe even: "do not even try to complain dude, s**t happens; feel sorry for the FA who have to clean the mess!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:58 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
They should apologize to the OP. However, there is no other meal choice on board. BKK-RGN has only one meal choice.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:04 pm

Didn't get your drink while they were cleaning the galley?? SO so so sorry. Yes, file a complaint. See if you can get the whole crew fired or at least severely punished.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The comments in response to the incident are not particularly impressive. As someone who has experienced the poor quality service that now is a mainstay of TG, I understand the OP's comment. I doubt the FAs put too much of an effort into "cleaning". This is a job beneath their perceived status and the FAs typically leave the cleaning activity to the ground crew. They may have picked up the dishes and some of the food but that's it. On that flight there are more than enough FAs to do that and to serve the pax. I doubt the OP expected anyone to grovel. However, the FA service level was obviously not very good.

In respect to sending a complaint to TG, don't bother. Unless you are a hiso Thai or have TG FF upper status, you will get the usual polite response of sorry, mai pen rai, and then will be ignored.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: BRK-B
Are you flying BR J? Are they given out RIMOWA, pyjamas, and Dom Perignon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.