Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do any TG widebodies have in flight wifi?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Do any TG widebodies have in flight wifi?

Dong a lot of flying this month and in the past get told "coming soon" - whatever that means with TG!

Do the 747s or A380s have wifi yet?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes the 380's have it. It is slow and very expensive. A total rip-off, IMO.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Thanks, so all pax are charged - no exemption for First Class?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Thanks, so all pax are charged - no exemption for First Class?
I was in J and ran up a $40+ tab mostly waiting for pages to load.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
is the Wifi resp access to web censured like in Thailand or all pages free available?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I was in J and ran up a $40+ tab mostly waiting for pages to load.
Same experience here, although I only waster about $15. The speed is just barely good enough to check email.

On the other hand, Emirates now offer free wifi, and the speed is excellent. Good enough in fact to do a video call using FaceTime. Yes, I know, I shouldn't be gobbling up bandwidth like that, but just had to try it once.

BTW, nobody can do in-flight wifi whilst over China or India. Between BKK and DBX, that is a good part of the trip, so if you have to do internet, plan accordingly.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
is the Wifi resp access to web censured like in Thailand or all pages free available?
Don't know. I was mostly checking e-mail and surfing FT
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Interesting question, for all airlines' in-air internet access. The service is presumably provided by a global operator, but could I guess be routed through TOT in TG's case ??

But I'm guessing all airlines may use a "sanitized" service, similar to their censorship of VOD movie content ... otherwise pax walking up and down the aisle could get a surprise looking over someone's shoulder at "adult" online content.

Just be careful what Thai-related Facebook pages you "like" when inbound, as even just doing that for particular sensitive subjects has been reported as likely to raise the ire of Thai authorities. You might be greeted by a welcoming party of the boys in brown !
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by timster
Just be careful what Thai-related Facebook pages you "like" when inbound, as even just doing that for particular sensitive subjects has been reported as likely to raise the ire of Thai authorities. You might be greeted by a welcoming party of the boys in brown !
reported where? any example of inbound tourists being arrested because they clicked "like" on sensitive pages during their inbound flight?
do you think they have the capacity to monitor 20 million annual tourists' internet activities?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
reported where? any example of inbound tourists being arrested because they clicked "like" on sensitive pages during their inbound flight?
do you think they have the capacity to monitor 20 million annual tourists' internet activities?
OK maybe I should have added a second I was being somewhat facetious.

However all communications ARE clearly under strict monitoring and control by the current regime. Being careful about what you do on Facebook (including something as simple as "likes") has been reported - in fact the current government has said as much. Recall the circumstances around the blocking of Facebook early in the current timeline.

Do I think TOT might be specifically monitoring internet activities of inbound pax on TG ? No.

Is traffic flowing through TOT and particular websites being monitored ? Of course. Does inflight internet flow through TOT ? I don't know. Is inflight internet activity traceable back to the flight/pax ? If necessary, yes.

There are people in Thai jails currently for online LM "offenses" who thought they were anonymous online.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:52 pm

I agree with your second post. There is certainly no guaranteed freedom of speech in Thailand (actually like most countries in Asia, at least ALL in South East Asia!) and that certain internet sites are monitored is also no secret.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:03 pm

I agree with your second post. There is certainly no guaranteed freedom of speech in Thailand (actually like most countries in Asia, at least ALL in South East Asia!) and that certain internet sites are monitored is also no secret.
Definitey not all of South East Asia. Philippines has very liberal freedom of speech protected by their constitution.

Not all of Southeast Asia is the same.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by jasp25
Definitey not all of South East Asia. Philippines has very liberal freedom of speech protected by their constitution.
are you sure?
then I wonder why the Philippines rank only 149th out of 180 countries in this world press freedom index? even behind Thailand!
https://freespeechfreepress.wordpres...a/phillipines/
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by travelgirl2012
There are ways around the expense of in-flight wi-fi. Might be worth looking into downloading a simple Google app. This link can take you to several sources on how to avoid unnecessary fees or reduce those that are inevitable. Scroll towards the bottom of the post for the bit on in-flight wi-fi.

Hope this helps. Good luck! <redacted>
This is not going to stop you running up a huge bill on TG! I don't believe there is a pricing differential by device (laptop vs mobile etc.). The cost is essentially USD14.50 for 10MB then about USD2 per MB on top of that...think about how quickly that could rack up regardless of which device you use!

Recently I flew to the Australia to UK return...outbound on Etihad and back on TG (ex Paris actually so on a wifi equipped A380).

Etihad charged USD21.95 for a 24 hour pass, no data quota. And it was sensational...I made a couple of calls using Facebook Messenger and the quality was perfect.

On the return, when I saw TG's pricing I absolutely gave it a miss!

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 1, 2015 at 8:51 pm Reason: Redacted blog spam link
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

But I'm guessing all airlines may use a "sanitized" service, similar to their censorship of VOD movie content ... otherwise pax walking up and down the aisle could get a surprise looking over someone's shoulder at "adult" online content.
AVOD censorship is a mixed bag. A few years ago on UA they butchered a Will Ferrell movie (Talledega Nights) to the extent it couldn't be followed. On SQ, AA and CX more recently I've seen nothing of the sort and have been surprised (pleasantly) at what has been shown.

However all communications ARE clearly under strict monitoring and control by the current regime. Being careful about what you do on Facebook (including something as simple as "likes") has been reported - in fact the current government has said as much. Recall the circumstances around the blocking of Facebook early in the current timeline.
This has been going on for years now and surely not isolated to the current regime. It's been a political theme which has filtered down and been abused in absurd proportions, sadly, by all walks of political ideology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.