Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London cut to 1 a day?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
There is nothing in the press but indeed 26 March is the last TG 916/917, and they were previously loaded. There are so many unanswered questions.

I'd asked early in the thread what was happening with the slots when they pulled out last summer season - as Heathrow demands a very high slot usage - literally a use it or lose it policy (which is why BR & TG seasonally cancel about 5-10 May departures - so they can stick within this allowance).

Someone mentioned that TG had leased out the slots - but i'd checked schedules and there was no new scheduled service in the 916/917 timeslots (surprising as the times could have worked, albeit not ideally with a short haul European carrier - 19:35 arrival, 21:35 departure).

I presumed that simply they'd come to an arrangement with Heathrow Airport. But now it seems as though they simply pulled out with no prior arrangement, and if the above is correct, have now lost the slots. And possibly for nothing. £10 million is an understatement - SAS sold a pair of daily slots (pair being one x arrival & one x departure) for over US$60 million earlier on this year. Free? Surely no-one would be that daft!

I wonder if this is where Garuda's new (still officially tbc) LHR slots are coming from... would be a roughly 10am CGK departure to get in at 19:35.

Anyway, all guesswork and conjecture - love to see if anything official is announced. Also, it's a damn shame, I loved that daytime flight.

S
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Someone mentioned that TG had leased out the slots - but i'd checked schedules and there was no new scheduled service in the 916/917 timeslots (surprising as the times could have worked, albeit not ideally with a short haul European carrier - 19:35 arrival, 21:35 departure).

I presumed that simply they'd come to an arrangement with Heathrow Airport. But now it seems as though they simply pulled out with no prior arrangement, and if the above is correct, have now lost the slots. And possibly for nothing. £10 million is an understatement - SAS sold a pair of daily slots (pair being one x arrival & one x departure) for over US$60 million earlier on this year. Free? Surely no-one would be that daft!
Morning and afternoon LHR slot pairs are valuable because the timing works well for the long haul (particularly North America) market. Evening slot pairs have much less value because short haul flights earn less revenue relatively speaking.

SL
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Well yes.

But the evening slots are certainly not worthless to be given up, and fairly easy to lease for a period of time.

Not saying they have been given up though.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Slots in the evening are plentiful.
according to this source, they command very little:
http://analysis.rte.ie/business/2015...heathrow-slot/
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:38 am

I booked a couple of LHR-BKK trips this year and there was no choice but TG910/911. Though the A380 is nice, I always much preferred the TG916/917 timings.

Was looking forward to using TG916 and 917 again next year, but this looks like bad news again.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:41 am

Fly THAI B777 300ER from 25 October 2015 to 26 March 2016

Promotional add from Thai states until 26th of March.
http://portal.onlinetraveltraining.c...0Factsheet.pdf

Not sure if that means their going to change aircraft type or drop TG916/917.

Last edited by tg911; Dec 4, 2015 at 9:00 am
Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: LH M&M (SEN); TG ROP GOLD
Thai Airways London Twitter have written the following to me when I asked if TG916/917 slots will be operating after 26th March: "at present it will not during summer 16. However it will resume again on 30OCT16 for winter 16/17 schedule. Thanks"
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:15 am

I checked the schedule for TG916 not operating from the 26th of March option given by Thai is connect to a Thai flight from another European Hub.
Think i will just stick to our preferred flight number TG911.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:18 am

So how do THAI manage to keep the TG916/917 pair of Heathrow slots for 7 months again in 2016, like they seem to have in 2015?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: LH M&M (SEN); TG ROP GOLD
In all likelyhood they manage to hang on because evening slots at LHR are not "premium" slots.

According to this analysis from Irish broadcaster RTE ( http://analysis.rte.ie/business/2015...heathrow-slot/ ) landing slots at LHR before 0900 are most sought after (transatlantic peak arrival) and their appeal drops off as the days goes on.

As this article from CAPA ( http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...t-again-108646 ) also points out, evening slot pairs are considerably less valuable than morning slot pairs.

It's also worth noting that nothing grabs headlines more than a valuable slot sale (as with the recent SAS sale of a slot pair for $60 million), but the reality might be that the timing of the TG 916/917 pair is not as valuable and therefore not as vulnerable.

Maybe TG have leased the slots for 7 months to a European carrier for a seasonal summer service into and out of LHR?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:02 am
Original Poster

TG 916/917 is indeed back in the systems from 30th October (although i'm sure it will be many months until Thai release fares for October onwards..).

So i've guessed and second guessed like many on here and been found wanting as to how they could do it without penalty, all I can summise is that indeed the 'use it or lose it' rule has been negotiated with LHR. As LCY flyer has stated evening slots are under less pressure, but daily flight slots at the same time would still have a value. Indeed PR have been looking for better time slots, and GA have been applying (and been rejected) for LHR slots at most opportunities.

The last season just gone I was checking timetables, and no new flights were filling Thai's slots so it doesn't appear they are leasing the slots out. So i'm going to stop guessing now until I finally see something official. However, ultimately i'm glad as I want to see TG flying twice daily.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 11277m
So how do THAI manage to keep the TG916/917 pair of Heathrow slots for 7 months again in 2016, like they seem to have in 2015?
Slots are owned per season (winter or/and summer). So one can own the LHR slot October to March but not March to October.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Slots are owned per season (winter or/and summer). So one can own the LHR slot October to March but not March to October.
That's interesting; so THAI have lost their TG916/7 summer slots and would need to buy new slots to reinstate those flights?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 11277m
That's interesting; so THAI have lost their TG916/7 summer slots and would need to buy new slots to reinstate those flights?
They could have leased them.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:04 am

We just went down to our local travel agent gave the dates we wanted to fly LHR/BKK 16th or 17th of April,and their system showed TG 916/917 all through April.
I said 16th would be okay then noticed it was on TG917 i realised this was most likely an error so refused to book on that flight even though it was the cheaper option.Anyway the assistant checked on the Thai website and read no more TG917 after March 26th after consulting with her colleagues they agreed with me that it was better to book TG911.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.