Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

THAI flight skids off runway at Khon Kaen airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thai Airways' Flight TG47, scheduled to fly from Khon Kaen to Bangkok, skidded off the runway before it took off shortly after 8 pm Monday. No injuries were reported.

The accident prompted Nok Air's flight from Bangkok to Khon Kaen to be unable to land and it had to land at the Udon Thani airport instead.

Nok Air's passengers, who were scheduled to leave Khon Kane for Bangkok at 8:50 pm, were transferred to Udon Thani to catch their flight there.

Thai Airways offered its passengers, who did not want to return to Bangkok right away, to stay at the Pullman Khon Kaen Hotel pending the clearing of the runway and fixing of the plane.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30246919.html

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...n-kaen-airport

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/...O5711040010004

In other news, Thai Airways adjusts flight schedules to avoid floating lanterns...

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/...O5711010010014
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: ROP
It was misshaped when make a u-turn for preparing for take off. The taxiway aka runway in KKC is very tight for A330, so it has no room for error.

There are plans for expansion this airport including the edge of runway for easy turning the aircraft.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, it looks like they went a bit wide on the turn, and got stuck in the mud. No need for the black paint I guess?

KKC is supposed to reopen tomorrow (Wed., 5 Nov).

Several pictures here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...n-kaen-airport
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
KKC is a legacy of the Vietnam/American war. Pretty quiet - just TG and Thai Air Asia from there.

Somewhat surprised that they fly an A330. I would have thought more suited for an A320/737....
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by londonbus
KKC is a legacy of the Vietnam/American war. Pretty quiet - just TG and Thai Air Asia from there.

Somewhat surprised that they fly an A330. I would have thought more suited for an A320/737....
And NOK Air and Thai Smile.

TG uses wide body aircraft on many domestic destination as they only have 5 737s in their fleet, and with a load of 264 Pax I would say it`s the right thing to do ^
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

UBP, a same Vietnam relic, also hosted the A330 quite often.

I believe TG only has 2 737s left and they fly predominantly to USM.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I believe TG only has 2 737s left and they fly predominantly to USM.
short runway?
737 also go to Penang (one flight per day)
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:35 am

Sounded like a landing accident from the thread title. Glad to see just stuck in the mud and everyone is ok.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BinSabai
short runway?
That's my assumption. PG only flies ATRs and 319s in/out.

Originally Posted by BinSabai
737 also go to Penang (one flight per day)
Interesting.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am fairly certain that you may be confusing KKC with the air base built at Nam Phong (aka, The Rose Garden) by the U.S.A. circa 1972, ~ 30 Km northeast of KKC/Amphur Muang, which is now used by the RTAF, maybe as a bombing range?

Many provincial capitals have airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.