Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

First Class seat Broken 12 hours uptight!upright!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class seat Broken 12 hours uptight!upright!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
So the seat was able to be converted to a full flat bed (albeit with a 15 minute time lapse to make it so?)

For me that would be the most important thing.
didn't you know that each air purser of TG gets a training as handicraftsman, a bit mechanic, a bit electrician, a bit plumbing...during old days they were even trained to crawl on to the wings to fix the engines
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by BinSabai
didn't you know that each air purser of TG gets a training as handicraftsman, a bit mechanic, a bit electrician, a bit plumbing...during old days they were even trained to crawl on to the wings to fix the engines
Most (if not all) electronic seats have a manual override (required for emergencies).

Crew are trained to deal with that and putting the seat into full flat or upright shouldn't be a problem, with only an inconvenience of not being able to recline.

of course a seat should be in full working order, but if it can go to a bed that wouldn't be such an issue for me. I'd have accepted the duty free voucher quite happily as compensation.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:18 pm

I think the main issue in this case and the most disturbance for the OP is not the dysfunctional seat but the fact that ground staff switched seat assignment intentionally and let his wife take the malfunctioning seat which resulted into a big loss of face for his wife
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Identifide in UA F lounge

Originally Posted by anaidross
I am just curious, how do those people at the gate know the skin colour of the passengers who will be boarding?
When the Thai ground staff member visited the United First Class lounge looking for Bkk bound passengers My Wife and I identified our selfs. As did the Amercican couple it was That American lady's seat that had the issues. And my wife's seat switched at gate. As Fter hgp. Pionts out beware of last minute seat changes.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Not Luck of the draw

Most (if not all) electronic seats have a manual override (required for emergencies).

Crew are trained to deal with that and putting the seat into full flat or upright shouldn't be a problem, with only an inconvenience of not being able to recline.

of course a seat should be in full working order, but if it can go to a bed that wouldn't be such an issue for me. I'd have accepted the duty free voucher quite happily as compensation.
If this had been our 'original' seat assignment And staff had handled this better than perhaps $172 might seem ok But having now flown with the broken seat. I don't think so. Anyway our concerns are the 'sly switch' at gate and handeling by the Thai ground staff I believe fellow FTer. hgp. Post best sums this up
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Spot on

I think the main issue in this case and the most disturbance for the OP is not the dysfunctional seat but the fact that ground staff switched seat assignment intentionally and let his wife take the malfunctioning seat which resulted into a big loss of face for his wife
Great end to our 30 th wedding anniversary Tuscan Tour
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:07 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
All seats in TG fleet can be manually operated by the crew. So, it's not that the OP has to sit upright the whole flight. The seat can be converted to flat bed by crew.

The issue about seat switching is another story. I just want to clarify the "sitting upright for 12 hours" part.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Accor Gold
I've only just read this thread. Had I read it earlier my advice would have been to word any claim alleging discrimination very carefully.

However, from what I read in other media (and I have no personal experience) there does seem to be a persistent quality problem in TG F Class. Many correspondents have left TG for good to travel with rival carriers. Those who choose SQ instead say there is no comparison in terms of quality (i.e. SQ is so much better).
Old Nov 9, 2014, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by spk
All seats in TG fleet can be manually operated by the crew. So, it's not that the OP has to sit upright the whole flight. The seat can be converted to flat bed by crew.

The issue about seat switching is another story. I just want to clarify the "sitting upright for 12 hours" part.
Yeah, the "forced to sit upright for 12 hours" is a lie. I hope the OP didn't/won't include that in the letter to TG since nobody wants to lose face by getting caught with a lie.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

My Bad. I lied. 10hrs 41 mins

Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
Yeah, the "forced to sit upright for 12 hours" is a lie. I hope the OP didn't/won't include that in the letter to TG since nobody wants to lose face by getting caught with a lie.
My bad. Upright or Flat. At least 15 minute wait to change Response from head office so far unsigned cut and paste letter with our names miss spelt

Last edited by thaidai; Nov 9, 2014 at 5:45 pm Reason: Correcting details
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:58 pm
Set

Originally Posted by thaidai
My bad. Upright or Flat. At least 15 minute wait to change Response from head office so far unsigned cut and paste letter with our names miss spelt
I'm assuming all the first class eats were occupied?

Just curious, how common is that?

And to those saying it's not such a big deal because it could be manually flattened (albeit over 15 minutes), that's not enough imho. Reclining is a big part of seat comfort.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Set
I'm assuming all the first class eats were occupied?

Just curious, how common is that?

And to those saying it's not such a big deal because it could be manually flattened (albeit over 15 minutes), that's not enough imho. Reclining is a big part of seat comfort.
First class seats are there for sale While it's nice to have a less-than-full cabin, it it not uncommon for F class to go out full on many airlines.

While it is true that reclining is part of comfort, IMO it is not an essential element in First class (ie, I'd walk off the plane if I didn't have it). There's always enough room to recline anyways with the help of a couple of pillows. (Just like you do with an armchair at home.)

The seat should work, but $150 compensation for non-recline (in F) would do me.

The bed is an essential element on the other hand. And all seats have a manual recline function in the event the electrics fail.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:21 am

I think the main issue in the whole case is not whether the seat could not recline or could just be manually reclined or what ever!
the main point was that they changed seat assignment in the last minute and gave the seat with the malfunction to the OP's wife despite she had another seat reserved for her. And the whole action was done by the ground staff in such a stupid and unprofessional way that even the dumbest passenger in F recognized what was going on!
This is completely unacceptable and requires a apology and a generous compensation!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you Khun Bin Sabai

I think the main issue in the whole case is not whether the seat could not recline or could just be manually reclined or what ever!
the main point was that they changed seat assignment in the last minute and gave the seat with the malfunction to the OP's wife despite she had another seat reserved for her. And the whole action was done by the ground staff in such a stupid and unprofessional way that even the dumbest passenger in F recognized what was going on!
This is completely unacceptable and requires a apology and a generous compensation!
Our Main concern is the switching of my wife preasigned seat and printed boarding pass to anther passengers broken seat ( see posts re TG. Ground staff visits to UA F lounge )
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Perhaps if luck of the draw But

First class seats are there for sale While it's nice to have a less-than-full cabin, it it not uncommon for F class to go out full on many airlines.

While it is true that reclining is part of comfort, IMO it is not an essential element in First class (ie, I'd walk off the plane if I didn't have it). There's always enough room to recline anyways with the help of a couple of pillows. (Just like you do with an armchair at home.)

The seat should work, but $150 compensation for non-recline (in F) would do me.

The bed is an essential element on the other hand. And all seats have a manual recline function in the event the electrics fail.
. Perhaps if the broken seat was the original one ticketed,pre assigned ,boarding pass issued But my wife seat was switched at the gate with anther passengers seat. The broken one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.