Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

BKK-SIN Business Class on the A340-600 ... Seat in F Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-SIN Business Class on the A340-600 ... Seat in F Class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: ROP Gold
Smile BKK-SIN Business Class on the A340-600 ... Seat in F Class?

Hi Guys,

Not new to Flyertalk, but its been a few years and needed a new account!

I'm booked BKK-SIN next month in J Class on the A340-600, very excited as I am yet to fly on the TG A346, after over 14 years of travel on TG.

I noticed when booking however they do not ticket F class.

What are the odds of asking at check-in to be able to sit in the F Class area? Or do they close it off for this particular flight?

Many thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
on flights BKK SIN I have seen it empty (easier to do service for the crew if everybody is in J) and on other occasion we were just 2 in F seats (with J service of course)
on domestic flights they always put passengers with highest status plus some TIP's in the F seat; they do not leave the F seats empty
TG Gold might or might not be sufficient
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: ROP Gold
Thanks BinSabai, much appreciated

I am one to always get to the airport early so will ask at check-in if they will perhaps seat me in the F cabin. Can give it a try?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:10 am

good luck! report back whether you got F!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
data point (FWIW... probably not much )... my parents were on F award tickets, but booked into business for BKK-SIN. Two flights, on the a380 and a340. both times asked the FCL but weren't able to sit in the F cabin. they reported the F cabin seemed to be empty (they can confirm it was on the a346 but obviously couldn't confirm for sure on the a380)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I never flew on the A380 to Singapore but have flown J class on many occasions on the A346.

Ninety percent of the time the F cabin is empty and, on these occasions I have not bothered to ask to be seated in there. On the few occasions when I have seen people seated in there, who are obviously not crew, I have politely (at first) pointed out that this cabin seating is not sold on this route and the crew will usually whisper to me " they are VIPs"...at which point I demand to see the CSD and ask if, as a Platinum member of ROP, I am not also a VIP? If they persist with the "VIP" excuse I will just keep slowly raising my voice and repeat my question.

This usually results in me being moved to the F cabin, and then I usually notice at least a couple of other passengers being moved...this is quite fun to watch...the consternation on the faces of the crew as they capitulate...!!!

Occasionally the crew will say that they have no control over where passengers are seated, that it is decided by the crew at the gate, which is also rubbish. The gate crew won't seat passengers in this area unless they have first cleared it with the CSD.

I know some respondents will say I am being rude, crude, ignorant etc., and maybe this is true, but I get a great kick out of forcing the nice, cosy VIP relationship into a corner and causing them discomfort, while getting myself a nice comfy seat for the short ride to Singapore.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thaikwai
I never flew on the A380 to Singapore but have flown J class on many occasions on the A346.

Ninety percent of the time the F cabin is empty and, on these occasions I have not bothered to ask to be seated in there. On the few occasions when I have seen people seated in there, who are obviously not crew, I have politely (at first) pointed out that this cabin seating is not sold on this route and the crew will usually whisper to me " they are VIPs"...at which point I demand to see the CSD and ask if, as a Platinum member of ROP, I am not also a VIP? If they persist with the "VIP" excuse I will just keep slowly raising my voice and repeat my question.

This usually results in me being moved to the F cabin, and then I usually notice at least a couple of other passengers being moved...this is quite fun to watch...the consternation on the faces of the crew as they capitulate...!!!

Occasionally the crew will say that they have no control over where passengers are seated, that it is decided by the crew at the gate, which is also rubbish. The gate crew won't seat passengers in this area unless they have first cleared it with the CSD.

I know some respondents will say I am being rude, crude, ignorant etc., and maybe this is true, but I get a great kick out of forcing the nice, cosy VIP relationship into a corner and causing them discomfort, while getting myself a nice comfy seat for the short ride to Singapore.
Maybe your attitude is the reason why people with paid F tickets can't get seated there... because people demand to be included even when not entitled?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Maybe your attitude is the reason why people with paid F tickets can't get seated there... because people demand to be included even when not entitled?
there are no paid F tickets on BKK SIN!

Thaikwai is certainly right to do so!
I would also do the same if I there were other guys in F and myself only in J on BKK SIN or on domestic
but I did not experience that; either the F section was empty or I was also seated there
If the CSD would not also let me sit in F I would call him the second half of Thaikwai's name
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
there are no paid F tickets on BKK SIN!
there are people on paid F tickets connecting to and from SIN and other destinations. I would guess in at least some cases the fare basis for the whole ticket is F (albeit one that books into business class for that segment).
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:59 am

there are people on paid F tickets connecting to and from SIN and other destinations. I would guess in at least some cases the fare basis for the whole ticket is F (albeit one that books into business class for that segment).
Thaikwai still comes first according to his status in ROP as BKK SIN will not show up on their ticket as F fare
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thaikwai still comes first according to his status in ROP as BKK SIN will not show up on their ticket as F fare
for any number of reasons, the pax in the F cabin, or those holding F tickets but booked into J may be more commercially important than a platinum card holder.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:46 am

for any number of reasons, the pax in the F cabin, or those holding F tickets but booked into J may be more commercially important than a platinum card holder.
there are also reasons why a platinum card holder might be more commercially important (in particular in the long term) than a F ticket holder; if it is a ticket issued by another airline, award or paid, TG does likely not get more than what they would get in case of a biz class ticket.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:50 pm

I'm booked in J on the 346 from SIN to BKK in a few weeks (continuing on in F) and the online seat selector allowed me to choose 2A (or any of the other 4 or 5 seats showing as open in the F cabin). I won't be too bothered if they decide to move me, but the F seat would definitely be nice!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisKSDF
I'm booked in J on the 346 from SIN to BKK in a few weeks (continuing on in F) and the online seat selector allowed me to choose 2A (or any of the other 4 or 5 seats showing as open in the F cabin). I won't be too bothered if they decide to move me, but the F seat would definitely be nice!
that's surprising. Then they must be pretty full in J that they already open the F seats
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:58 pm

that's surprising. Then they must be pretty full in J that they already open the F seats

So this isn't normal?

J looks pretty empty from the attached seat map, but of course we all know that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.