Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle name typo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Question Middle name typo

So last night I booked some tickets on TG while I was a bit tipsy, not such a good idea.

Apart from booking the wrong dates (fine, because the ticket I booked allows for date changes for free) I slightly mis-spelt my middle name. The middle name is "abcdef" however I spelt it on the booking as "abcedf".

How much of a concern is this really? Will there be hassle when I fly?

I did call TG in HK and they told me I would need my ticket re-issued at a charge of HK$125 (US$16). Yes I know the price isn't too bad, but I was hoping they would do it for fee, or not make such a big issue about it.

I guess I will end up paying the re-issue fee, but was wondering if there are any other avenues I could explore.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is a tough one. I've managed to fly with my name misspelled, first & last reversed & such. But I've seen others denied check-in.

I'd pay TG to reissue for peace of mind.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Delta have my wife's middle name spelt wrongly and cannot seem to correct it.

Not had a problem with it.

YMMV.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Accord has my name misspelled for years. attempts to correct it made it even worse.
Anyway, it does not matter for hotel reservations, awards etc.
but for flights where also immigration can become a problem I certainly would not take any risks
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I reckon the risk is small that I'll be called up on it, but I think to be on the safe side I will suck it up and pay TG for the name change.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The risk is nil
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Like Brunos, I am also of the view that the risk is extremely low that any problem will arise during check in.

On the other hand, if USD16 will correct the issue and give peace of mind, I would play safe by paying for it and have the ticket issued.

Although it is rather irritating having to pay again, just treat it as a small payment for a lesson learnt.

Last edited by anaidross; Sep 13, 2014 at 8:00 am
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, ended up paying. For Brunos while you say the risk is nil, AndyInSaigon has claimed that he has seen others being denied based on misspelling, so I'm guessing the risk isn't quite nil.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by theworld
Thanks guys, ended up paying. For Brunos while you say the risk is nil, AndyInSaigon has claimed that he has seen others being denied based on misspelling, so I'm guessing the risk isn't quite nil.
If you feel safer, then you took the best route.
But you are talking about middle name, not having inverted last and first name or mispelling last name. Many people/countries do not even use middle name. It is not a necessary information when doing the booking. I stand by my statement that inverting a couple of letters in your middle name brings strictly no problem.
But I only argue for the fun of it. have a good flight.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
middle name is not required so why add it in?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by brunos
Many people/countries do not even use middle name. It is not a necessary information when doing the booking.
Vietnam requires all names listed in a Vietnam passport on tickets for Vietnamese citizens flying on international flights operated by Vietnamese carriers. I have no idea why but do have first hand experience.

For my part I never use my middle names in my bookings except when booking w an agent in Vietnam. They enter it all, sometimes incorrectly.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:20 am
Original Poster

I guess I was being safer than necessary maybe.

However I note that the credit card I need to pay with needs to match my passport. In HK all credit cards are lastname, firstname middle name. Also generally most carriers in Asia requires your name as is on your passport (and I have a middle name on my passport). I think the only exception seems to be Air Asia.

Oh well, lesson learnt for me.

Thanks for the replies guys.

There is also this in the T&Cs but I guess it only applies to payment, rather than name on ticket:

"Passengers who have used their own credit card or Visa/MasterCard debit card for pur chase of the ticket must also present their payment card together with their personal identification (photo ID or passport) during check-in. Please note that the name and number on the payment card must be spelled exactly identical to the name on the identification card or passport."
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Middle name isn't required... ive not put mine in on a booking... ever
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
times have changed:
while the risk WAS nil till this summer, the check-in system/procedure has been changed/moved to so called "Amadeus Altea" during recent months and since then staff can no longer rectify the names at the airport.

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Sep 16, 2014 at 8:20 am
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:12 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Middle name typo

Just skip the middle name(s) in the future.

I have 5 names and use only 3. First first name and the 2 family names, contracted (in my passport they are non-contracted!) Never had a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.