TG Smile move to DMK

Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Let's play Mad Libs.

... and the other routes they currently fly will be ________ .
Axed! Only kidding.

So now a militaty leader without any experience of running a business, let alone an airline, is now making the all the decisions This should be interesting to watch in the months to come!

From the Gazette:

Top management has vowed to make their carrier a Super Premium Airline with a more comprehensive range of exclusive services starting this winter season for routes to Japan and Europe.

This should be interesting to follow as well. The one thing that I am sure of is that there in nothing premium about DMK and the transfer there from BKK.

Last edited by SASDC8; Jul 31, 2014 at 5:25 am
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
So am I going to have to cross town to get to Hat Yai soon?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Originally Posted by SASDC8
The one thing that I am sure of is that there is nothing premium about DMK and the transfer there from BKK.
Well stated!

Seems to be a bit of that Thai mentality coming into play of "get close to your competitors" I never really followed the logic of the IT malls where you have shop after shop next to each other, all selling the same thing.

You'd think that THAI Smile, having less competition at BKK as a lower cost airline, would be better positioned to catch international connecting traffic, and customers going to/from the eastern areas like Chonburi (lots of international business there) along with Pattaya, Rayong, etc.

Last edited by Sam Drucker; Jul 31, 2014 at 10:00 am
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:42 am
hco
Original Poster

Programs: SAS *G
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
You'd think that THAI Smile, having less competition at BKK as a lower cost airline, would be better positioned to catch international connecting traffic, and cusomers going to/from the eastern areas like Chonburi (lots of international business there) along with Pattaya, Rayong, etc.
You'd think! Bangkok Airways FTW!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:04 am

Also interesting in that Phuket Gazette article is the bit about considering resuming the New York City route. Especially that they're even thinking about it now, with everything else that's going on.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:46 am

Also interesting in that Phuket Gazette article is the bit about considering resuming the New York City route. Especially that they're even thinking about it now, with everything else that's going on.
I agree. That quote actually made me wonder if the article is to be trusted, but now with the military in charge, who knows!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Okay I am going to throw a prediction out there. If this move does go ahead (at amazing short notice!) I predict that either Thai Smile will transfer all flights back to DMK in 18-24 months due to it 'not being good for our connecting international premium customers' or Nok Air merging in to Thai Smile and it staying at DMK as a stand alone airline.

I would love a read of their strategy documents (if they even exist!) the last guys idea was to use premium rice in there food, now it is to offer premium service (where they lag massively behind other carriers on premium routes such as BKK-LHR). The image they put out to the market is one of no idea. SQ and CX must have a good chuckle to themselves at times.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by travelislife

I would love a read of their strategy documents (if they even exist!) the last guys idea was to use premium rice in there food, now it is to offer premium service (where they lag massively behind other carriers on premium routes such as BKK-LHR). The image they put out to the market is one of no idea. SQ and CX must have a good chuckle to themselves at times.
I thought they were using premium like Buddweiser or Miller throw the word around.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:11 pm
hco
Original Poster

Programs: SAS *G
TG Smile move to DMK

Some more 'clarifications' in Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transport/423440/thai-smile-to-fly-three-routes-from-don-mueang

Clear that they see TG Smile as a point-to-point carrier, not one which has international connnections.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by hco
Some more 'clarifications' in Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...rom-don-mueang

Clear that they see TG Smile as a point-to-point carrier, not one which has international connnections.
Does anybody remember THAI Smile ever operating out of DMK before? Or is this article revisionist history?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:26 am

From the Bangkok Post:

"Thai Smile expects to move its base of operations for all point-to-point flights from Don Muang from Oct 26. Flights connecting to Thai Airways still operate at Suvarnabhumi airport,'' he said.

What does this actually mean? Are they og are they not moving ALL flights to DMK?

BTW: I don`t think Thai Smile ever operated out of DMK!

Last edited by SASDC8; Aug 1, 2014 at 1:43 am
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:49 am

On airlineroute.net they say that Thai Smile moves Bangkok-Chiang Mai and Bangkok-Phuket service to DMK on 01 Sep 14

Normaly they get the information from the airlines direct
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anybody remember THAI Smile ever operating out of DMK before? Or is this article revisionist history?
It's not revisionist history its simply poor journalism. We all remember the pain in the shadow of BKK's opening where TG kept the non-customs bearing destination at DMK (for 3 years?) while the remainder of operations went to BKK... That's possibly what they were referring to... but who knows.

Also, I looked this morning but still nothing on TG's or TG's site indicating these supposed cheap fares nor any mention of DMK.

Edit: i now see the 3 TG flights to KKC as departing from DMK but the prices are still 2365THB++ to start.

Last edited by dsquared37; Aug 1, 2014 at 2:33 am
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a link for the special fare mentioned in the article but it doesn't appear to be go to the correct fare on TG's website.

Rather it's for another special entirely (which doens't even include KKC).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
TG Smile move to DMK

Haha and they expect their online sales to rise from 11% to 30%! They have no idea and are so disorganised. I love Thai and really want them to be better, it sucks how poorly run it is at the moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.