Search

Lots of photos of TG dreamliner 787

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

The website is in Thai

http://pantip.com/topic/32366308

Sorry I posted the wrong link. Just corrected it.

Last edited by IamHungry; Jul 24, 2014 at 12:01 pm Reason: Wrong link
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Thanks for posting the link IamHungry. IMO Thai did a great job with the interior colors, but it is hard to get overly excited about the hard J product.

That said: If TG could find it in their heart to add destinations and frequency to the US market I would certainly consider booking it; and maybe just maybe they could get crazy and code share some with UA...

SunLover
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Uggh. The C/J cabin is the same damn seats that UA/CO uses and 1) the footwells are uncomfortably small 2) there's no in-seat storage to speak of and 3) good luck laying flat if you're over 6' tall.

Double uggh.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:43 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
They didn't use the same type of staggered business product as on the A380 to give aisle access to all seats? What a waste.

Also, it looks like they went for 3-3-3 in Y. Not surprising, but definitely not comfortable.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Also, it looks like they went for 3-3-3 in Y. Not surprising, but definitely not comfortable.
I noticed that as well.

Guess I'll be doing my best to avoid this a/c.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: most of them
at least the AVOD in Y has giant screens (compared to most a/c in Y)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:32 pm

I was on a 787 flight to CNX yesterday in C.

Some initial impressions:

- the 2-2-2 seating felt cramped to me. Sitting at a window seat, one feels very close to the aisle passenger, and there is only a fixed privacy screen that comes up only about 25 cm. Being low and also fixed means that if you are flying with someone, you are separated, but if you are not flying with the adjoining passenger, the screen doesn't come up high enough. And if you are at the window and the aisle passenger is fully reclined, be prepared for some gymnastics if you want to make a trip to the lav.

- the foot well when reclined is very cramped indeed.

- as an earlier poster noted, there is indeed no at-seat storage area. You could cram something small under the ledge in the foot well, but that's about all.

- the C class lavatories are very small. For a normal sized person it would be cramped, for example, if you wanted to change clothes at the end of a long flight.

- hopefully this will not always be the case, but following takeoff, the PA system began playing pop classics at very high volume level - loud enough to cause me to put in ear plugs. Why? The 787 is truly such a quiet aircraft on climb out and I was really enjoying that until they switched on the music.

- If this is important to you, the last row in C is missing a window so if you have the window seat, you get a wall.

- the polarising windows did not go all the way dark. Now this was my first flight on a 787, and maybe they are all that way, but being seated on the sunny side, the sun was clearly visible through the window when it was at the max darkness setting, and indeed very bright. If you are on a long flight and want to sleep, you will definitely need eyeshades if you want darkness.

All in all, everything feels cramped in C. It's a pity TG didn't go with a 1-2-1 configuration as they did with the 777-300er and A380.

A couple of plusses:

- The power points for USB and AC are very conveniently located at shoulder height and easy to access. Anyone who has travelled on other TG aircraft has probably experienced the frustration of finding and using the AC outlets buried in the back of the well next below your seat.

- the VDO display has excellent resolution. It's not polarised, so you will see everything from your next seat passenger's display as well.

- the wired remote at the seat (iPhone size, touch sensitive colour display) had an interesting feature - a flashlight setting. I've personally never seen that before. Could be useful for rummaging around in a carry on at night when the lights are all out,

- in the seated position, the seats (fabric with cushioned leather headrest) were among the most comfortable I have every experienced. That said, maybe this is because they were brand new. But no in-seat massage, if that is important for you.

- In flight, the 787 is a joy to ride. I sensed that at altitude and in smooth air, the rumble or vibration from the engines and aerodynamics was such that I felt like it was the same as sitting stationary on the ground. Cabin noise level seemed the lowest I have experienced on any aircraft.

All in all, I think the 787 has become my favourite aircraft after a single flight, but the TG version would be so much better if C was not so cramped.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
I feel Thai may have dropped the ball with the business class cabin on the 787, and i think it is a real step back from the 777-300ER and 380. I will off course give it I try before I my make up my mind, but I don`t see myself queueing up for flying TG`s 787.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:33 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
I am disappointed at first with this C class product because I compare it with those on 388 and 77W.

However, this aircraft's interior was designed with a totally different role from those two. These 787 are meant to play the medium-haul role of the current 772 (non-ER) and 333, which are equipped with the current angled lie-flat product. So this is actually a step up in terms of comfort. We should not compare this to aircraft designed for long haul mission.

If you compare this to other regional products, this C product still beats ANA's and Cathay's or even SQ's regional products hands down. Heck! ANA still sends old 772 and 763 with those recliners to many destinations with 7-8 hours flight time.

Last edited by spk; Jul 26, 2014 at 9:40 am
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:04 pm

I agree with you, spk. As TG's 787 is apparently intended for medium-range trips, their business class cabin on the 787 is excellent compared to other carriers, and especially to TG's own tired, old A330 configuration. It's also much better than some of the aircraft TG use for long hauls, such as the 777-200er they use for ICN-LAX, which is also 2-2-2 in C and doesn't even have lie-flat seats for a 12-14 hour flight. I stopped using TG for BKK-LAX when they switched from the 77W to the old 777-200er metal.

As for the 787 aircraft itself, it really is a pleasure – very quiet, higher pressurisation, etc. It might be just me, but I do prefer smaller aircraft with fewer passengers over a fully booked A380.

Off topic - I really like what NZ have done in C with their new 787-900, and the 1-1-1 configuration.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:15 pm

Regarding the earlier comment about the windows not getting fully dark or opaque, here is the view from my seat on the sunny side of the cabin with the window set to the fully darkened position. I don't know whether this is a setting created by TG or if it is inherent to the 787 system, but it really isn't very dark if you plan on sleeping.

Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:16 pm

I rode this bird yesterday - also in C - have to say if you're familiar with the old PMCO 764/772 layout - this will be extremely familiar. I did get the feeling that the crews are still feeling this aircraft out and that's normal. Quick summary : the rows to avoid (if you like your 787 windows like I do) - is the last one. It's missing one. Otherwise it's fine. Seatguru/seat expert will no doubt label it "proximity to the galley and Lavatory may be bothersome" as usual. But it's really a long way away.

I sat in row 11 - and that is the row to have. It's near the front galley but 11AC and 11JK are quite offset toward the front that looking left (from 11J) you'll see a wall, which gives it privacy.

Other seats much of a much. I like this plane and I think it will serve TG well on these regional routes
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by tookay
Regarding the earlier comment about the windows not getting fully dark or opaque, here is the view from my seat on the sunny side of the cabin with the window set to the fully darkened position. I don't know whether this is a setting created by TG or if it is inherent to the 787 system, but it really isn't very dark if you plan on sleeping.
Having ridden Royal brunei's , All Nippons and now TG's 787 - that's the max - doesn't get darker than that , and certainly nowhere near full black
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know whether this is a setting created by TG or if it is inherent to the 787 system, but it really isn't very dark if you plan on sleeping.
That's my memory of the UA 787 as well.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

- the foot well when reclined is very cramped indeed.
That is the big flaw of this seat (along with no direct aisle access from the window).

Note that at least on the UA aircraft with the same seat, the bulkheads have full size footwells and are thus considered the best seats in the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.