Search

Thai Airways outlook weakens.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:17 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Quote from http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30239398.html

[quote]

The airline will also enhance its on-board services, starting with first class, as part of its aim to become a "super premium" carrier. It will also refurbish its lounge at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

[unquote]

Good luck.... I only hope they would refurbish all TG lounges at BKK - not only one
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:27 am

Nation:

"However, Patee Sarasin, chief executive officer of Nok Air, said relocating Thai Smile Air would damage THAI as it could affect the parent airline's connecting flights."

Why not move TG completely to DMK?

Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:11 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Thai Airways outlook weakens.

From The Nation article above:

"Relocating Thai Smile's operation from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Don Mueang is expected to result in more passengers for the subsidiary carrier."

How?? I understand that they will save money at DMK, but why would it be more passangers? If anything, it would be less IMHO.

If the price/schedule is similar, I'll always take a flight from BKK. It has to be a much better schedule or much cheaper if I should venture north to DMK.

If they move Thai Smile to DMK:
- Tiger and Bangkok Airways would celebrate.
- Nok would cry.
- AirAsia would laugh.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by hco
From The Nation article above:

"Relocating Thai Smile's operation from Suvarnabhumi Airport to.Don Mueang.is expected to result in more passengers for the subsidiary carrier."

How?? I understand that they will save money at DMK, but why would it be more passangers? If anything, it would be less IMHO.

If they move Thai Smile to DMK:
- Tiger and Bangkok Airways would celebrate.
- Nok would cry.
- AirAsia would laugh.
Fully agree it would be less pax for TG, not sure which genius is coming up with the spurious prediction.

As for the other airlines occupying DMK why do you surmise DD would cry? They have a more robust list of destinations with more departures for each of them and often at 60% or less of the TG frown price... and that includes a 15kg checked bag and no surprise fees (ala FD).
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:11 pm
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Only due to the fact that I think TG as largest shareholder (39.2 %), will not act in Nok's best interest, but instead favour TG Smile.

As hinted in the articles above, "ask Nok to give some route(s) to TG Smile". Conflict of interest anyone?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hco
Only due to the fact that I think TG as largest shareholder (39.2 %), will not act in Nok's best interest, but instead favour TG Smile.

As hinted in the articles above, "ask Nok to give some route(s) to TG Smile". Conflict of interest anyone?
But TG can't price as low as Nok* nor does it have the vast destinations/departures of Nok.

*Unless collusion raises DD's prices.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:50 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
ITA Matrix???

Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg
where can I find such fares on UA and DL?
Um on ITA Matrix. The whole month of October practically has Sub $1,000 flights on UA
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Um on ITA Matrix. The whole month of October practically has Sub $1,000 flights on UA
Keep in mind it is not really United to Bangkok since they gave up the route. You will be on an ANA codeshare.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Reading the article in the Phuket Gazette regarding the move to DMK for Thai Smile they also state that they expect their online sales to go from 11% to 30%. They don't give any idea of how they expect this to happen, just that it will. I can tell you the easiest thing to improve their online sales would be to include all their sale fares in the standard search engine. It is crazy that you might have to click through 3 or 4 other links to their promotions to specifically book their best fares on offer. Also when people do searches through the many online sites if they are just pulling fares off thaiairways.com they won't necessarily be picking up the cheapest fares available so the person searching believes that is the best fare Thai offers. Why would they then go to Thai's website to check if there are other promotions?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travelislife
Also when people do searches through the many online sites if they are just pulling fares off thaiairways.com they won't necessarily be picking up the cheapest fares available so the person searching believes that is the best fare Thai offers. Why would they then go to Thai's website to check if there are other promotions?
I totally agree with you. I even find that thaiairways.com are usually cheeper than Expedia and other search engines, especially for premiun cabins.

Why it is this way, I don`t know but I suspect they have a rather old booking system, and that is whay TG is still relaying heavily on TA`s to fill their planes.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Its always reassuring when you try to book a flight on the Thai Airways website and you get.
<Error><Code>AccessDenied</Code><Message>Access Denied</Message><RequestId>D4D5820D8E27228B</RequestId><HostId>ukLFzG0lcfJkl8fEiJcZv0lF1cuVmPKL HCVlKPZoW0M99xoghEP7WHuqwo1VlQXV</HostId></Error>

Should help their effort to regain customer confidence and increase bookings.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:03 am
Original Poster

THAI to lose 20 billion baht this year.
Thai Airways International is projected to suffer a loss of between 12-20 billion baht for the whole year this year compared to about 12 billion baht last year, said ACM Prajin Juntong, THAI chairman and deputy chief of the National Council for Peace and Order.

He attributed the projected increased losses to poor operating performances and accumulated losses during the first three quarters of the year, unfulfilled spending cutback plans and the plan to increase revenue and intense competition.

However, revenue for the fourth quarter will pick up but it won’t be sufficient to cover the losses from three consecutive quarters, said ACM Prajin.

He disclosed that THAI planned to seek 27 billion baht in loans for the years 2014-15 and, so far, 1,000 million baht loan from Standard Chartered Bank and another 5-7 billion baht from the Government Savings Bank have been approved with the remaining 20 billion baht to be borrowed from the Finance Ministry.

The new loans will be used to refinance old loans and to pay for the aircraft fleet bought by the company, said ACM Prajin.

Meanwhile, THAI acting president ACM Sivakiart Chayaema said the national flag carrier had devised a three-stage crisis rehabilitation plan to address its internal problems which include management problem, financial structure and personnel problem and operating problem.

The company has a plan to cutback its staff by 6,000 men and women in five years which will bring the number of its staff down to 18,000 from 24,000. The cutback includes voluntary early retirement.
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tha...ion-baht-year/
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tg911
The company has a plan to cutback its staff by 6,000 men and women in five years which will bring the number of its staff down to 18,000 from 24,000. The cutback includes voluntary early retirement.
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tha...ion-baht-year/
I saw the article this morning and my guess is few of those 6K staff are anywhere near close to the top. Until the protected folk are dealt with the problems with remain.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No mention of the coup and resultant massive drop in visitors to Thailand?

(Not to diminish the effect of mismanagement.)
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
No mention of the coup and resultant massive drop in visitors to Thailand?

(Not to diminish the effect of mismanagement.)
If anything that simply exacerbated a situation which was well underway by the time it occurred.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.