Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Aug Award Flight Downgraded F >> C - Why???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's

Have a F award (UA Miles) and just got an e-mail from UA that my flight was downgraded to J for the BKK-HKG segment on TG600. Still showing a 744 for the flight. Did TG just decide that they didn't want a no-income pax in F? As it's a 744 I didn't think they were downgrading to running just Y/J (the F cabin was almost full when I last checked)

Yes, I know it's only a 3 hr flight, but was looking forward to the lounge / spa, etc. Its the reason I booked via BKK v a direct to my destination.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by thezipper
Have a F award (UA Miles) and just got an e-mail from UA that my flight was downgraded to J for the BKK-HKG segment on TG600. Still showing a 744 for the flight. Did TG just decide that they didn't want a no-income pax in F? As it's a 744 I didn't think they were downgrading to running just Y/J (the F cabin was almost full when I last checked)

Yes, I know it's only a 3 hr flight, but was looking forward to the lounge / spa, etc. Its the reason I booked via BKK v a direct to my destination.
In the first 2 weeks of August the timetable shows TG600 being operated by two class 773 on a few days. This may or may not be reflected on the UA website if that's where you're looking...sometimes aircraft type does not match up for a while after changes. If it's any consolation the 773 planned is TG's new 77W with full lie flat in J.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: ROP
Even you was downgraded to J, you can request the F treatment at BKK by referring your award ticket.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Thanks for the info, after I got home and found my TG PNR, I pulled it up and is showing as the 773. I'll have to call to book my seat now as I cant do it online!

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
In the first 2 weeks of August the timetable shows TG600 being operated by two class 773 on a few days. This may or may not be reflected on the UA website if that's where you're looking...sometimes aircraft type does not match up for a while after changes. If it's any consolation the 773 planned is TG's new 77W with full lie flat in J.
Really? I didn't know that... Thought you only got access based on your BP

Originally Posted by joy16
Even you was downgraded to J, you can request the F treatment at BKK by referring your award ticket.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:09 am

How did you find out about this? Is this a new rule (assuming that you are not just connecting from a TG F flight and for that reason can use the F lounge)?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
they will certainly also permit you to re-book free of any charges in case you want to take another flight where F-class will be offered....
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
they will certainly also permit you to re-book free of any charges in case you want to take another flight where F-class will be offered....
Only if there's an F class award seat available on the other flight.
Here's what happened to me:
- F class award seat (booked with UA miles) on a TG 747 (BKK-SYD) downgraded to C class seat on a TG 777 (equipment change)
- There is another BKK-SYD flight on the same day, operated by a 747 with F class, but no award seats available.
- The Australian TG office offered to send a message to the main office in Bangkok, requesting them to open up an award seat on the second flight, but I had to get UA to waitlist me for the second flight.
- UA doesn't let you waitlist on partner flights (I asked several agents and supervisors), and when I asked in the UA forum, multiple posters confirmed that UA can't/won't do it.
- TG can't waitlist me since UA owns the reservation
- I'll have to keep watching award availability, hoping that something opens up.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I am in a similar situations on NRT-BKK in Aug. Initally A380F --> 787J --> A330 J --> now I'm back on a 747 in J. The flight doesnt even show up on united search, so I've just been checking periodically to see when it gets loaded and F space opens up. The F cabin is empty on expertflyer so I'm pretty sure once Aug rolls around the space will be there.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Don't forget to get your envelope with the cash compensation for the involuntary downgrade.
Yes, you can use the F lounge & spa despite the change.
I requested an F kit which was provided onboard (BKK-NRT).
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exmike
I am in a similar situations on NRT-BKK in Aug. Initally A380F --> 787J --> A330 J --> now I'm back on a 747 in J. The flight doesnt even show up on united search, so I've just been checking periodically to see when it gets loaded and F space opens up. The F cabin is empty on expertflyer so I'm pretty sure once Aug rolls around the space will be there.
Can you switch to TG677 with the A380?

I do agree they're likely to open F award space on TG643 closer in.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
Quote:

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit

Only if there's an F class award seat available on the other flight.
Here's what happened to me:
- F class award seat (booked with UA miles) on a TG 747 (BKK-SYD) downgraded to C class seat on a TG 777 (equipment change)
- There is another BKK-SYD flight on the same day, operated by a 747 with F class, but no award seats available.
- The Australian TG office offered to send a message to the main office in Bangkok, requesting them to open up an award seat on the second flight, but I had to get UA to waitlist me for the second flight.
- UA doesn't let you waitlist on partner flights (I asked several agents and supervisors), and when I asked in the UA forum, multiple posters confirmed that UA can't/won't do it.
- TG can't waitlist me since UA owns the reservation
- I'll have to keep watching award availability, hoping that something opens up.
This is not true. Thai can put the segment in there and then it gets revalidated by UA. You first have to check there are F seats available on the flight you need (revenue or award). It can be done, lots of records of this exact thing happening on these forums and others.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by travelislife
This is not true. Thai can put the segment in there and then it gets revalidated by UA. You first have to check there are F seats available on the flight you need (revenue or award). It can be done, lots of records of this exact thing happening on these forums and others.
What's not true? That TG told me that they can't touch a UA reservation? That is absolutely true. I have tried four different reservations offices. Same answer from all of them. Maybe it was possible in the past. Do you have recent experience (as in within the last two weeks) of having TG add segments to a UA award reservation?

1. Yes, there are F class revenue seats available on the alternative flight.
2. Various TG offices have told me that they can't touch the reservation because is a UA award flight, and TG can't add segments (confirmed or waitlisted). I have tried the TG offices in Los Angeles, Sydney, Melbourne, and Singapore. Same answer from all of them: They can't do anything unless UA waitlists me first.
3. UA won't / can't wait list on partner flights.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
What's not true? That TG told me that they can't touch a UA reservation? That is absolutely true. I have tried four different reservations offices. Same answer from all of them. Maybe it was possible in the past. Do you have recent experience (as in within the last two weeks) of having TG add segments to a UA award reservation?
About 2 weeks ago Sydney did it for me on a LifeMiles award...they actually gave me the last available seat on a flight that was showing F1. However I do totally understand your difficulties...I was a bit surprised it happened. In similar circumstances before I have had no joy getting TG to do this.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
About 2 weeks ago Sydney did it for me on a LifeMiles award...they actually gave me the last available seat on a flight that was showing F1. However I do totally understand your difficulties...I was a bit surprised it happened. In similar circumstances before I have had no joy getting TG to do this.
The TG office in Sydney told me that they were willing to send a special request to BKK to open up an F class award seat for me, but UA would have to waitlist me on that flight first.
Since it's UA's policy to not allow wait listing on partner flights, it appears I'm out of luck.

Last edited by 26point2orbust; Jul 13, 2014 at 5:30 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold

1. Yes, there are F class revenue seats available on the alternative flight.
2. Various TG offices have told me that they can't touch the reservation because is a UA award flight, and TG can't add segments (confirmed or waitlisted). I have tried the TG offices in Los Angeles, Sydney, Melbourne, and Singapore. Same answer from all of them: They can't do anything unless UA waitlists me first.
3. UA won't / can't wait list on partner flights.
It is not true that TG can't put the segment in the booking. You are right they can't touch it, but by putting the segment in they are not actually changing anything to the existing ticket, your currently booked segments will still be there. It will then be UA who revalidates this. You are correct that UA won't waitlist but this is not required.

This is from first hand experience within the last 2 months. And reports of people doing exactly the same thing in your situation on another forum (TG downgrading from F>C due to aircraft swap). I know it is frustrating but it is just a matter of finding the right agent.

If you are happy to PM your original and new itinerary details and what you require I am happy to try and get this resolved on your behalf as I believe it is a crazy situation when Thai purposely causes a misconnect with their schedule changes and leaves it up to the customer to resolve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.