Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Sydney Changes for Winter Season (Start 26Oct)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA1K
I was TG'd. Had "O" UA award tix for the international segments on UA, NH, and TG for this November: LAX-IAD-NRT/HND-BKK-SYD-BKK-NRT-SFO-LAX routing. It was perfectly crafted and then all seems to be falling apart. I think my HND-BKK might still be "O" but quite sure the rest of the segments BKK-SYD-BKK-NRT will be downgraded to "I". No caviar, no PJs, no cool amenity kits (i.e., Rimowa/Tumi), no 1 hour spa treatments like last year's LAX-SYD trip. I had been warned!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The UA site when looking at award bookings shows 777 and 2 class for my flight. Guess I'll have to call them.
Weird that it still shows a 747 in my reservation on 1/4/15 and on TGs website when pulling up my booking. It also shows a 747 when trying to book a F ticket on TG and sites like Kayak for the same date. My guess though is that the schedules will get updated soon with the 777-300 replacement and reflected correctly.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
Both SYD flights show as 777-300, not 777-300ER, on the UA website, so I guess they're "773" with 2-3-2 J class config, not the "77W" with staggered lie-flat seats.
Even the 777-200, with 2-2-2 config, would be better than the 773, and there's availability for my dates.
Of course, if the SYD flights will be operated on the 77W, that changes things...
You cannot rely on the UA website for TG aircraft type...they often list the wrong 777 type. They used to list 747-200 for one of the 747 types!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Frustrating! I see that the TG site still shows my flights in Feb and Mar (BKK-SYD-BKK twice) as 747 All Series, but the fact that it's only taking bookings in business class suggests that I won't be enjoying F. Which I would be fine with if I hadn't planned the rest of my trip to be somewhat inconvenient just to enjoy that ride!

C'est la vie, especially with TG!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
You cannot rely on the UA website for TG aircraft type...they often list the wrong 777 type. They used to list 747-200 for one of the 747 types!
^^^This!! Anyone using UA for Thai aircraft cross referencing ignore what it says. Doing a dummy booking on TG's own website is as accurate as you can get. Saying that the winter schedule is obviously in a state of flux at the moment, probably best to wait until it is fully loaded (who knows when!).
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:35 am

Booked 2x F in early Jan 2015 and the TG site is still showing my booking as F - I presume that will get updated to J at some point in time? Any chance that we wont even get J seats at all?

Booked the tickets using lifemiles - anyone know how should I go about getting the difference in miles back when we get bumped down to J?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Wozz
Booked 2x F in early Jan 2015 and the TG site is still showing my booking as F - I presume that will get updated to J at some point in time? Any chance that we wont even get J seats at all?

Booked the tickets using lifemiles - anyone know how should I go about getting the difference in miles back when we get bumped down to J?
It should be through whatever airline LifeMiles' program is.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Ticketed on 10/26 BKK-SYD in O class... Missed the cutoff by 1 day! Other than SQ (which is impossible to get with *A miles) and UA (never available in advance) are there any other *A first class products to Australia/NZ? In terms of business products, which one would be best?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by dinosims
Ticketed on 10/26 BKK-SYD in O class... Missed the cutoff by 1 day! Other than SQ (which is impossible to get with *A miles) and UA (never available in advance) are there any other *A first class products to Australia/NZ? In terms of business products, which one would be best?
Well UA can't get you to SYD/MEL from BKK you would have to leave LAX/SFO. You're already going to be in Thailand? You answered a bit of your own question...if you are using non SQ miles then SQ is out, UA you'd have to go through the states.

Air China I think flies a 3 class into SYD. OZ IIRC is 2 class with slanted J. BR flies to BNE but is a craddle J A330.

I think (as what I am doing) is just sticking with TG would be your best bet. The 77W should get you to the cities on the East Coast and if you want to go to Perth it's a 787.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:25 pm

Air China I think flies a 3 class into SYD.
no, they fly 2-class with lie-flat J
OZ IIRC is 2 class with slanted J.
Correct.
I think (as what I am doing) is just sticking with TG would be your best bet. The 77W should get you to the cities on the East Coast and if you want to go to Perth it's a 787.
For the December dates i checked, TG471/472 shows as 773 on the TG website. TG475/476 still shows 747, so who knows...
The PER flights show as A330 in December. When are they moving to 787?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:32 pm

Oh sorry I thought Perth ready had the Dreamliner deployed. I thought the PR/social media stuff mentioned the route but didn't notice a date as it's not on my radar.
I'm gonna wait a few weeks and see what happens when everything synchs up. I still may change my flight BKK-BNE.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:12 pm

TG to operate Boeing 787 to Perth from 20SEP14. Current schedule shows operating until 25OCT14, but schedules in the OAG filed by TG suggests it'll continue to operate on/after 26OCT14.

CA will operate 777-300ER on PEK SYD from 10DEC14 to 04MAR15.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold

The GDS hasn't been updated past October 26th at this stage that is why aircraft types are all over the place. Thai needs to sort this sooner rather than later!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Well UA can't get you to SYD/MEL from BKK you would have to leave LAX/SFO. You're already going to be in Thailand? You answered a bit of your own question...if you are using non SQ miles then SQ is out, UA you'd have to go through the states.
I'm originating from the US, just had routed through Asia on NH and TG to fly in F (since there was nothing available direct). Now the dilemma becomes do I route through SIN and grab SQ business when it becomes available at T-14, or just take (a sub-par) F on UA direct? Assuming both become available, of course....

I'll just wait until everything sorts itself out before I proactively make any changes I guess.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:57 pm

Ah I see your location stays NYC. I've both OZ F Suites and NH F/J IOJ planes which are great...but that can be a bit out of the way getting to Australia if it is your only destination.
You can get a sweeet SUITE ride from NYC to Asia, check out Seoul or Tokyo and then continue on down to Australia in J? BR JFK-TPE in Royal Laurel would be nice too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.