Wiki Posts
Search

New upgrade award on Thai and devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lcy flyer
I have been in touch with TG Platinum AMEX....
To earn 1 TG AMEX point = 35 baht spend (excl special promos etc).
That's about $1.10 per point... a paltry amount.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
So there's been talk by some of leaving ROP and going for another Star Alliance program. Who would you go to, and why?

What I'd really like to know is beyond the reward charts of other programs. Special offers for Golds, etc. THAI had been pretty good with respect to the two year qualification for Gold level, the yearly upgrade they gave to Golds, and the yearly half-off deal on one award. Is anybody else doing anything like that, inside or outside of Star Alliance?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
So there's been talk by some of leaving ROP and going for another Star Alliance program. Who would you go to, and why?

What I'd really like to know is beyond the reward charts of other programs. Special offers for Golds, etc. THAI had been pretty good with respect to the two year qualification for Gold level, the yearly upgrade they gave to Golds, and the yearly half-off deal on one award. Is anybody else doing anything like that, inside or outside of Star Alliance?
Hi Sam,

I have been a great fan of TG ROP for many years and every single flight redemption has been approved after spending a day on the ws in F and C. Problem I see is that the UPG is already quite expensive. I forked out more than 2000 SGD for a return in upgradeable fare for a return SIN-CDG. So the UPG has become very expensive over the years, not counting the taxes on award redemption. For 2 C tickets, one upgrade and one redemption, my bill was close to 4k, the price of one C ticket during promotion period. I fly enough to qualify on SQ and LH senator together with TG but I hardly see the point of continuing on TG (besides burning miles from my NH account). I am sad to let it go and I enjoyed the perks but I am afraid, there are choices out there and TG doesn't add up anymore.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
I think that question all depends on where you live and what programs you are able to earn credit card miles to with a local card. Different people in different countries will have different sweet spots.

I think TK are probably the nearest in terms of low threshold for *G status and good earning opportunities on their own metal but here in Singapore, not having a credit card that earns in their program means they are no use to me.

Apart from Krisflyer the only other Star carrier I can credit to is EVA via the local citibank Premier miles card and I find nothing compelling in their program and as someone who would be borderline every year to maintain *G status with SQ, my strategy is to plonk 20k miles into A3 to ensure *G status and then to just earn and burn in KF..
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: ROP *G
Originally Posted by dsquared37
That's about $1.10 per point... a paltry amount.
I think the original poster had a typo. The standard TG Amex = 25 baht per 1 ROP mile. Although it's pretty easy to spend abroad or get other special promotions and get it down to 16 baht per ROP mile. Every 16baht I spend abroad now after spending more than 100k baht abroad is now equal to 1 ROP mile which is $0.50 per mile for AMEX and Citibank gets you ever so slightly better.

I'm also with HCO......not walking away from TG, but will have some words with Citibank and Amex cards now. For me it just doesn't make sense to walk away from TG as I am based in BKK. Next month will be earning 25% more miles, but even though redeeming has doubled for J and F class awards there has been a maximum of 20% increase in Y class redemption. Guess I will be redeeming in Y from now on for vacation unless I use my GUP or perhaps 50% Gold redemption. It's fine...I'm only 26 and have already flown a few times in F with my gf on Thai to FRA and I'm grateful for that.

Below is a comprehensive chart that I have tabulated:

Economy class redemption

25% more miles earned for ROP G paid fare compared to previously
50% more miles earned for ROP P paid fare compared to previously

Old vs New

from 1,000 miles
1) 25,000 vs 25,000 ..... Same

from 1,001 - 2,000 miles
2) 35,000 vs 35,000 ..... Same

from 2,001 - 3,600 miles
3) 45,000 vs 54,000 ..... 20% increase

from 3,600 - 4,800 miles
4) 55,000 vs 66,000 ..... 20% increase

from 4,801 - 8,000 miles
5) 70,000 vs 84,000 ..... 20% increase

from 8,001 - 12,500 miles
6) 90,000 vs 98,000 ..... 9% increase (Essentially only to LAX)

Business class redemption

50% more miles earned for ROP G paid fare compared to previously
75% more miles earned for ROP P paid fare compared to previously

Old vs New

from 1,000 miles
1) 40,000 vs 48,000 ..... 20% increase

from 1,001 - 2,000 miles
2) 55,000 vs 66,000 ..... 20% increase

from 2,001 - 3,600 miles
3) 75,000 vs 150,000 ..... 100% increase

from 3,601 - 4,800 miles
4) 98,000 vs 196,000 ..... 100% increase

from 4,801 - 8,000 miles
5) 130,000 vs 260,000 ..... 100% increase

from 8,001 - 12,500 miles
6) 170,000 vs 340,000 ..... 100% increase

First class redemption

100% more miles earned for ROP G paid fare compared to previously
100% more miles earned for ROP P paid fare compared to previously

Old vs New

from 1,000 miles
1) N/A vs N/A ..... Same

from 1,001 - 2,000 miles
2) 70,000 vs 84,000 ..... 20% increase

from 2,001 - 3,600 miles
3) 110,000 vs 220,000 ..... 100% increase

from 3,601 - 4,800 miles
4) 150,000 vs 300,000 ..... 100% increase

from 4,801 - 8,000 miles
5) 185,000 vs 370,000 ..... 100% increase

8,001 - 12,500 miles
6) 230,000 vs 460,000 ..... 100% increase

Summary

GOLD Earning 25%, 50%, 100% more miles for Y, J, F classes flown

1) Economy class option

If you are a ROP *G member flying paid Y economy class it will take you 5% LESS to redeem for Y economy class.

If you are a ROP *G member flying paid Y economy class it will take you 75% LONGER to redeem for J business class.

If you are a ROP *G member flying paid Y economy class it will take you 75% LONGER to redeem for F First class.

2) Business class option

If you are a ROP *G member flying paid J business class it will take you 30% LESS to redeem for Y economy class.

If you are a ROP *G member flying paid J business class it will take you 50% LONGER to redeem for J business class.

If you are a ROP *G member flying paid J business class it will take you 50% LONGER to redeem for F first class.

3) First class option

If you are a ROP *G member flying paid F first class it will take you 80% LESS to redeem for Y economy class.

If you are a ROP *G member flying paid F first class it will take you 0% SAME to redeem for J business class.

If you are a ROP *G member flying paid F first class it will take you 0% SAME to redeem for F first class.

PLATINUM Earning 50%, 75%, 100% more miles for Y, J, F classes flown

1) Economy class option

If you are a ROP *P member flying paid Y economy class it will take you 30% LESS to redeem for Y economy class.

If you are a ROP *P member flying paid Y economy class it will take you 50% LONGER to redeem for J business class.

If you are a ROP *P member flying paid Y economy class it will take you 50% LONGER to redeem for F first class.

2) Business class option

If you are a ROP *P member flying paid J business class it will take you 55% LESS to redeem for Y economy class.

If you are a ROP *P member flying paid J business class it will take you 25% LONGER to redeem for J business class.

If you are a ROP *P member flying paid J business class it will take you 25% LONGER to redeem for F first class.

3) First class option

If you are a ROP *P member flying paid F first class it will take you 80% LESS to redeem for Y economy class.

If you are a ROP *P member flying paid F first class it will take you 0% SAME to redeem for J business class.

If you are a ROP *P member flying paid F first class it will take you 0% SAME to redeem for F first class.

Overall there better be some MUCH added benefits for ROP G and P members....perhaps more GUPS or PUPS and more frequent 50% or perhaps even 75% redemption awards for G and P members?

.....Please correct me if I am wrong with any of my figures or calculations

Last edited by Mchamp; Jul 22, 2014 at 8:06 am
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:27 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Originally Posted by Fraserman
Originally Posted by hco
I'm not walking away from TG but I am pretty sure I am walking away from my ROP branded credit cards unless Citi and Amex readjust the earning to compensate.
...and walk away from ROP to another *A program...
I have only ever put credit card miles in ROP. All my miles from flights go to OZ.

So Amex offers to pay off part of the bill with points? Interesting... Time to call Amex and Citi and see what they have come up with now that they had some time to digest.

It is obvious that TG/ROP is really implementing the changes. I wouldn't even be surprised if they are also planning to increase the price of credit card miles. =P
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: LH M&M (SEN); TG ROP GOLD
It's possible that ROP management may have taken some inspiration from SQ KrisFlyer for the the 100% increase on mileage needed for premium awards.

http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsc...wardCharts.pdf

The problem is TG ROP have decided to go for a ONEWAY chart only. SQ also has a ROUNDTRIP award chart.

Does anyone know of any other FFP which uses a ONEWAY chart only?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lcy flyer

Does anyone know of any other FFP which uses a ONEWAY chart only?
UA and AA quote miles as o/w costs.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:04 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G

I just talked to Amex Thai Platinum customer service. I think I got bumped to a supervisor due to my complicated question.

Anyway, they had no news of increased earnings due to the devaluation in ROP. But I was assured that they were always going to have promotions "so I can earn miles faster". (Well, they have to since their base earning rate is worse than their competitors).
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: TG Gold
Interesting news....

http://www.businesstraveller.asia/as...nges-postponed
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In some cases tickets would have required double the miles; currently a flight from North America to Bangkok in first class requires 230,000 miles round trip, but under the proposed changes this would have become 230,000 miles each way – a 100% increase.
Since when does TG have F to the US?

BTW, as a childish aside, I had a good laugh at the reporter's name.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
BTW, as a childish aside, I had a good laugh at the reporter's name.
that's why I first thought, it is a joke!

but now it is also confirmed on TG website:
http://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/new...p_awards.page?

I regret that the tier bonus is also postponed!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:54 am

Sounds as if reason has prevailed, or at least injected a bit of realism into the drastic changes which many of us believed were ill thought-out and would have led to significant damage to the ROP programme and to Thai Airways.

I sincerely hope that any further proposed changes are a lot better thought through and a great deal more realistic.

For the moment, I'm extremely relieved.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 am

I heard that Thai postponed the current chart....pleasee change the content of the chart. Hope this will be a good news.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold

Wow! This shows that making contact and providing reason does work! At least someone at Thai is listening!

My thoughts are that there will be a devaluation down the track but it may not be as bad. I suspect they had no idea or hadn't even looked at what their competitors offered against what they were doing and how bad it really was, pretty much turning it in to one of the worst program's in the world.

Great to see!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.