Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheeselovers...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
Originally Posted by brunos
In large airports like LHR, CDG or FRA, any airline can work to get excellent food in F.
Unfortunately AF is not a reference in terms of food, even in F out of CDG but that has mostly to do with how much they are willing to spend. However, the starter and main dish is much better than on TG (even AF J can be better than TG F). I have taken many airlines in F out of CDG and found that the food on SQ, EK, EY, NH can be superb (MH is quite nice, CX is average). But TG is really poor.
Clearly my miles may and have varied, happy flying
Old Jun 14, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by aislealways
BTW, you can request crackers if they don't offer.
I've never not been offered crackers?

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
I don't find this surprising. Thais just don't "get" cheese. They barely "get" wine. These things don't really exist in Thai culture.

It's just like Asian dishes on western airlines often being non-authentic / substandard.

If you got poor cheese or wine on AF I think you'd have cause to complain. One would expect them to excel in it.

Anything "western" in Thailand or on TG is a lottery. Sometimes OK, sometimes just strange, sometimes dreadful. That's fine with me as I choose Thai to get a Thai experience. That means I usually avoid western dishes.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by timster
Anything "western" in Thailand or on TG is a lottery. Sometimes OK, sometimes just strange, sometimes dreadful. That's fine with me as I choose Thai to get a Thai experience. That means I usually avoid western dishes.
there are many excellent restaurants with western food in Thailand, but often off the usual tourist trail
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by BinSabai
there are many excellent restaurants with western food in Thailand, but often off the usual tourist trail
Agreed. And actually even the western-food-oriented tourist ones are not too bad as a rule. But most have western chefs or western-trained chefs.

But order a western dish in a Thai-managed Thai hotel and (1) it will cost 2-3 times as much as a Thai dish and (2) it could be OK or it could be dreadful.

Quality-wise, it's much the same as ordering asian dishes in western countries' hotels and "Thai" restaurants with non-Thai chefs. Very often less than great.

But as a westerner, when I am in Thailand I can't understand why anyone would want to eat western food.

I feel similarly on TG. I would be happy if TG stuck to what they know food-wise. But I understand that not everyone flies TG in order to get a "Thai experience".
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

But as a westerner, when I am in Thailand I can't understand why anyone would want to eat western food.
^^
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:22 am

Absolutely. And also never understand why many westerners end up in tourist thai restaurants and not on one where locals go.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:37 am

If you live in Thailand after 2 weeks Thai food only some good western food is a nice change.
I like Thai food very much (authentic one), but sometimes I go for a change
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you live in Thailand after 2 weeks Thai food only some good western food is a nice change.
I like Thai food very much (authentic one), but sometimes I go for a change

I probably eat western food in Thailand less than five times a year and it's invariably because of a hamburger craving.

Perhaps I'm an outlier but my changes tend to be centered around Issan vs southern vs central vs northern Thai styles. Ahaan farang can wait for those times I'm in western countries.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:53 pm

When holidaying in Thailand, we generally eat Thai food the entire time... But, living there would be different, obviously you would crave different food - that's just human!

Cheers,

Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
When holidaying in Thailand, we generally eat Thai food the entire time... But, living there would be different, obviously you would crave different food - that's just human!
so you mean dsquared37 is not human?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're not the first to suggest that.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:44 pm

OK, forget about the wine and cheese – if only TG could serve Thai food equal to or greater than the taste and quality of the mom and pop outdoor stall around the corner from my condo in central Bangkok!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
Originally Posted by tookay
OK, forget about the wine and cheese – if only TG could serve Thai food equal to or greater than the taste and quality of the mom and pop outdoor stall around the corner from my condo in central Bangkok!
Sadly, not enough MSG (which I am loving)... Currently the green curry fish ball in Y is very good. Add some fish sauce and prik bon and it's passable.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:21 pm

Of course not, don't be so assumptive!

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.