FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Thai Free Layover Policy .. Is award ticket eligible (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1578134-thai-free-layover-policy-award-ticket-eligible.html)

rembran May 18, 2014 5:32 pm

Thai Free Layover Policy .. Is award ticket eligible

Hi

I am thinking of flying from LAX to BOM via BKK on an award ticket. The issue is a 20 hr layover in BKK. I read the policy for free layover on thai airways website. Would I be eligible for it using an award ticket ? Has anyone availed this facility ?

I am also *A Gold

TIA

Any information is appreciated

vbroucek May 18, 2014 8:29 pm

This footnote

*Free hotel accommodation is provided for passengers issuing tickets at certain level.
from the link you provided may play crucial role. I do not have experience with TG, but LH did provide me with free layover hotel in BKK when on business class award connecting from LH to TG and having 15+ hours in BKK...
IMHO, award tickets should be treated the same as revenue, so as I said the footnote might be important depending on your award class...

dsquared37 May 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Well do you satisfy all the requirements?

-Both flights have to be international.
-Both flights with involuntary stopover (less than 6 hours but over 24 hours) are Thai Airways flights.
-Stopover is involuntary if for passenger’s onward flight no connection flight on same day.
-Request for free night stay should be made not later than 72 hours before departure from Moscow.
The bolded seem either 1) impossible or 2) not likely. :D

Aussie_flyer May 18, 2014 9:05 pm

there is no free stopover accom on award tickets with TG

rembran May 19, 2014 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer (Post 22886295)
there is no free stopover accom on award tickets with TG

Can we sleep in the lounge .. if there is no free stopover ?

SK AAR May 19, 2014 9:57 am

No, the TG lounges will close when the last flights for Europe have left at 1AM. Open again at 5AM.

Book a room at one of the many airport hotels. I suggest the following:
Thong Ta Resort Suvarnabhumi, which is very good. Rooms should be around USD 25 but have a look on Agoda. It is landside, so you have to go through customs/immigration.

travelislife May 19, 2014 5:33 pm

You can get a hotel nearby for about USD$30.

dsquared37 May 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 22888848)
No, the TG lounges will close when the last flights for Europe have left at 1AM. Open again at 5AM.

Book a room at one of the many airport hotels. I suggest the following:
Thong Ta Resort Suvarnabhumi, which is very good. Rooms should be around USD 25 but have a look on Agoda. It is landside, so you have to go through customs/immigration.

I'd agree if this was a short layover but OP mentioned a 20 hour layover so heading into town is a much better option. However, if OP is an India national then the scenario might be a bit more complicated and require a visa on arrival rather than the easy visa exemption process. And AoT will likely also assess the 700B departure tax.

aussielori May 20, 2014 1:34 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 22886213)
Well do you satisfy all the requirements?

The bolded seem either 1) impossible or 2) not likely. :D

Thai cancelled a flight and put me on a missconnect ( yes another flight where the connecting flight took off before I landed!)and when i called to get a flight that DID connet it was 22 hr layover ,they said i would have to pay for my own accommodation . i was on a first class award. they didnt give a s--t.

Aussie_flyer May 20, 2014 2:02 am

Originally Posted by aussielori (Post 22892906)
Thai cancelled a flight and put me on a missconnect ( yes another flight where the connecting flight took off before I landed!)and when i called to get a flight that DID connet it was 22 hr layover ,they said i would have to pay for my own accommodation . i was on a first class award. they didnt give a s--t.

yes well they don't offer hotels on award tickets, so that's to be expected. You can't have it all can you? They are the world's most generous airline with F awards after all

aussielori May 20, 2014 2:36 pm

I don't expect a layover if I choose to miss connect but I didn't they changed the booking 9 mths after ticketing and didn't even tell me then left me stranded at the airport for 23 hrs
As far as generous F tickets. Try to find one in the next 3mths they are almost invisible on the oz to Europe run.

TheAirman Sep 1, 2015 8:28 pm

Is this still available ?
Would have a 9,5h layover.

Thomas Eriksen Sep 2, 2015 2:00 pm

If i had a 22 hour layover in Bangkok I would simply jump in a taxi and spend the day in Bangkok. Bangkok have many hotels at resonnable prices so just treat it as a bonus and explore the city.

But i always plan a stopover when i fly in and out of Bangkok last in June where i had 15 hours between 2 flights.