Search

FRA-BKK downgrade to 747

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no call for rudeness here.

Your posts in this thread are offensive.

Well that's all true, but SQ is also just quite a bit stingier than TG. Different carriers handle award space differently. CX - which by most measures is SQ's equal - is quite generous with long-haul F award space on its premium aircraft.
Of course it's a round trip reward North America to Asia in F although the only two F sectors are Europe to Asia on Thai. I am not foolish, but merely trying to do the best I can with the miles I accumulate.

I think we dished out enough about this issue, so might as well close it,
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:19 am

I always wonder that everybody here that says award tickets are 'lower' and somewhat deserve to be treated worse, whether they are likewise ok with that when they themselves fly on award tickets. I see no reason why they should be treated worse.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheHansTheDampf
I always wonder that everybody here that says award tickets are 'lower' and somewhat deserve to be treated worse, whether they are likewise ok with that when they themselves fly on award tickets. I see no reason why they should be treated worse.
+1
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Actually after the ordeal and tenacity to get them award pax should be treated like fearless heroes.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
The award ticket holders were not treated any worse in this case.... everyone got a first class seat.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:09 am

Would the OP position change if it was determined the A380 was removed from service that day due to engine problems, with no equivalent plane to substitute it with?

I feel for the OP. I have been disappointed by 2 back-to-back plane swaps by TG. They are unreliable on aircraft type. Thankfully, the service is usually amazing however, regardless the plane
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
do you have experience on that?
I remember SQ always be a bit special in particular towards high status members of other *A airlines.
blocked award seats and surcharges on full flat business class legs on RTW ticket in J were my experience...
All those UA folks who scored award tickets for F seats on SQ 773 birds, only to find some were swapped for the new A380. I don't recall many, or any, complaints.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aislealways
I just flew that seat on the A346 (First pre Suite/A380), full mattress pad, rimowa, new duvet, new pyjamas, same new crockery and food service. Smaller screen, true - but at least it's closer
And it doesn't need to be rebooted as often. I've completed 1 A380 F flight where the AVOD didn't reboot at least once.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DBCme
Would the OP position change if it was determined the A380 was removed from service that day due to engine problems, with no equivalent plane to substitute it with?

I feel for the OP. I have been disappointed by 2 back-to-back plane swaps by TG. They are unreliable on aircraft type. Thankfully, the service is usually amazing however, regardless the plane
My point was that I wasn't informed. even at checkin the seat chart showed the a380. Normally this would be a schedule change event to be emailed ahead of the day of flight. But it apparently didn't make it into the star alliance system. (I was on 014 ticket stock)

And I went through a ticket change and associated fee to catch this equipment. All I want is my change fee back. Of course 014 tells me it's not their problem and contact tg (why would tg refund a fee pocketed by aeroplan?!).
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Allvest
My point was that I wasn't informed. even at checkin the seat chart showed the a380. Normally this would be a schedule change event to be emailed ahead of the day of flight. But it apparently didn't make it into the star alliance system. (I was on 014 ticket stock)

And I went through a ticket change and associated fee to catch this equipment. All I want is my change fee back. Of course 014 tells me it's not their problem and contact tg (why would tg refund a fee pocketed by aeroplan?!).
Why would they be responsible for TG's equipment change? You requested to change a flight knowing that it cost money, they complied with the request, you got to fly the flight you wanted, they get their money. Where did they fall down on the job?

Also- TG doesn't compensate on equipment subs if the class of service is available. They WILL compensate (in cash at checkin) if it's not available. Posts about this are all over the forum.

Given the circumstances you relate (220K miles + $1650 in YQ, only 2 segments in longhaul F, on TG), I actually do agree that it was probably a waste of money and miles compared to C, especially since the F soft product + lounge in BKK was apparently a waste once the equipment sub happened, and you ended up in an F product that didn't meet your expectations (though I might add that LX flies a similar F product on some routes). You are probably better served cashing in your AC miles flying C on carriers where the fleet is 100% lie-flat and there's no YQ- so UA, I suppose?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Why would they be responsible for TG's equipment change? You requested to change a flight knowing that it cost money, they complied with the request, you got to fly the flight you wanted, they get their money. Where did they fall down on the job?

Also- TG doesn't compensate on equipment subs if the class of service is available. They WILL compensate (in cash at checkin) if it's not available. Posts about this are all over the forum.

Given the circumstances you relate (220K miles + $1650 in YQ, only 2 segments in longhaul F, on TG), I actually do agree that it was probably a waste of money and miles compared to C, especially since the F soft product + lounge in BKK was apparently a waste once the equipment sub happened, and you ended up in an F product that didn't meet your expectations (though I might add that LX flies a similar F product on some routes). You are probably better served cashing in your AC miles flying C on carriers where the fleet is 100% lie-flat and there's no YQ- so UA, I suppose?
Yup. Us doesn't fly from eu to Asia tho. But your points are valid.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no call for rudeness here. Your posts in this thread are offensive.
+1
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
rant worthy? come on, the guy was most likely on bought miles on a cheap award flight, he still got first class on a boeing 747.... it's a minor difference to the A380 F seat (which is not a private suite anyway)
Instead of assuming the OP "bought miles on cheap" why not ask before you make false statements.

And since we now know it wasn't "miles on the cheap" why should that matter in the first place? Do you think award tickets should be treated any less than regular tickets? Or do you think award pax shouldn't have the same expectations as other pax?

The fact is the OP paid a change fee to specifically fly F on A380 so it's understandable that one would be pi$$ed. Is it TG's fault? Well that depends on the reason for the swap. Was it mechanical? Was it due to low loads?

I don't think anyone should be flogging the OP.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:59 am

I think it's okay to be upset that they swapped the A380 out. That's natural, and it's certainly not the first time it has been moaned about on this board. Dear god, no. The term "to be TG'd" has become almost official terminology around here.

But for me, I struggle to take the post seriously when I read "TG is one of the few airlines still giving F seats but what's the point if the quality is essentially modern j style or below."

- "One of the few airlines still giving F seats" - Yes, and I'm grateful that they do. I guess not everyone is, however.

- "What's the point"? - Well, if one can't see the point, then it's easy to not take TG F and stick to J.

- "Modern J style"? - Which modern J seat on what airline matches the old TG F seat in terms of the space afforded per seat? Allows face to face dining on a huge table? Completely unconstricted space all around the leg and feet?

- "... or below"? - Remind me, what planet are we on?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:51 am

I remember, I was so excited to get on A380F, but after taking it, I think I like 747F better. The 9-seat 747F was as comfortable as the A380F but the crews were so much better. I feel like the A380F crews had a certain attitude, maybe too proud of their best product. The head crew (usually an old man looking like an eunuch) was not as friendly as the 747F. Seats are comparable. Food is about the same. Only 9 versus 12 passengers. I would take the 747F (9 seats) over A380F any day. The only thing that is significantly better on A380F is the bigger toilet and the sofa lounge, but I did use them as much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.