Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA-BKK downgrade to 747

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brunos
I agree that those F seats are ancient first-generation solo seats, with disjointed cushions (no mattress), no privacy and tiny TV with poor avod.
Actually, the AVOD is now the same content that's loaded on the 380. But the screen is tiny

If I were OP I'd have been bummed too. A swap HKT-BKK or BKK-HKG is one thing. But a little surprising on BKK-FRA.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, the AVOD is now the same content that's loaded on the 380. But the screen is tiny

If I were OP I'd have been bummed too. A swap HKT-BKK or BKK-HKG is one thing. But a little surprising on BKK-FRA.
I prefer 747 First to A380, less seats, better service. I just flew that seat on the A346 (First pre Suite/A380), full mattress pad, rimowa, new duvet, new pyjamas, same new crockery and food service. Smaller screen, true - but at least it's closer

Works fine for me.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
the fact it's an award ticket has reduced your 'whinge' position substantially
No it hasn't. Ridiculous comment. Award tickets aren't free. Just because they are called "award" doesn't make them any less of a ticket than any other one. It's actually paid in miles, lost miles not awarded by flying revenue plus outrageous carrier charges. Not to mention lack of flexibility. On some sectors (To Europe from North America) award tickets can be more expensive than revenue tickets nowadays.

The point is that a product advertised wasn't delivered.

Now... Joining A3 and getting almost effortless *G ... That's a topic for another discussion.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
No it hasn't. Ridiculous comment. Award tickets aren't free. Just because they are called "award" doesn't make them any less of a ticket than any other one. It's actually paid in miles, lost miles not awarded by flying revenue plus outrageous carrier charges. Not to mention lack of flexibility. On some sectors (To Europe from North America) award tickets can be more expensive than revenue tickets nowadays.

The point is that a product advertised wasn't delivered.
It's unfortunate that any airline reserves the right to change equipment used at any time for any reason.

You will still get a First Class seat and service. So it's not too bad is it?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aislealways
It's unfortunate that any airline reserves the right to change equipment used at any time for any reason.

You will still get a First Class seat and service. So it's not too bad is it?
It's not "bad" but certainly rant worthy.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:58 pm

I feel you pain, but in the last 5 days I've done First BKK-FRA-BKK a380 out and a356. I've stated here how much i loathe the a346, but the First service was far better than the a380 (less seats, maybe as it's older they try harder)... So i preferred the older seat.

But I'm also called an TG 'apologist'! which to me translates as 'loyal customer who enjoys the airline' so YMMV!

J
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
rant worthy? come on, the guy was most likely on bought miles on a cheap award flight, he still got first class on a boeing 747.... it's a minor difference to the A380 F seat (which is not a private suite anyway)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
rant worthy? come on, the guy was most likely on bought miles on a cheap award flight, he still got first class on a boeing 747.... it's a minor difference to the A380 F seat (which is not a private suite anyway)
Well, perhaps next time, fly SQ F on *A partner miles. They don't sub out A380s for 747s, and I'm sure SQ Suites are just as easy to get on partner awards as TG F is...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Award miles required 220,000
Award and bonus miles lost due to award 40,000 (estimate)

CASH VALUE at 1.2 cents per mile: $3120.00

Award Fees (Surcharges, taxes, and Carrier Admin/Fuel) $1650

Change fee due to A380 being available on award: $110

TOTAL COST OF "CHEAP AWARD" $4880.00

Granted, it's cheaper than purchasing a ticket in F, but it's far from a cheap award. Nowadays, awards on most programs are just discounted fares which don't qualify for mileage accumulation and have severe availability restrictions.

Even if it were a FREE flight, it is a transaction which was not delivered as purchased, or even as advertised as late as check-in!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
There is no guarantee a particular aircraft is going to operate a particular flight. you still got Thai first class.

Also, there is no way the surcharges added up to $1650 for a one way flight from frankfurt to bangkok, and if you paid 220,000 miles one way for this award you are very foolish indeed.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
there is never a guarantee by any airline given to operate the aircraft type which has been "promised"....and it is even not "common" to announce aircraft type changes in advance when they take place on selected dates in advance by website.....therefore, one could even "praise" TG for doing this.....
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Well, perhaps next time, fly SQ F on *A partner miles. They don't sub out A380s for 747s, and I'm sure SQ Suites are just as easy to get on partner awards as TG F is...
do you have experience on that?
I remember SQ always be a bit special in particular towards high status members of other *A airlines.
blocked award seats and surcharges on full flat business class legs on RTW ticket in J were my experience...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
If an airline gets you from origin to destination in the originally book cabin class they met their obligation. I can imagine it was disappointing to miss out on the TG A380 F experience, and personally I would not have been thrilled at the switch, but stuff happens during travel and the end result could have been worse. TG F is not slumming it in any way, shape, or form.

SunLover
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Award miles required 220,000
Award and bonus miles lost due to award 40,000 (estimate)

CASH VALUE at 1.2 cents per mile: $3120.00

Award Fees (Surcharges, taxes, and Carrier Admin/Fuel) $1650

Change fee due to A380 being available on award: $110

TOTAL COST OF "CHEAP AWARD" $4880.00

Granted, it's cheaper than purchasing a ticket in F, but it's far from a cheap award. Nowadays, awards on most programs are just discounted fares which don't qualify for mileage accumulation and have severe availability restrictions.

Even if it were a FREE flight, it is a transaction which was not delivered as purchased, or even as advertised as late as check-in!
Has nobody introduced you to the purchase of US or AV miles? $1650 in YQ could buy you over 100K in either program at the right time of year, to be used without any YQ being applied. I don't think I'd be burning miles where the cost of the award is over 2 cpm, when there are much better options out there.

Also, no airline ever promises equipment on a route. They promise class of service. It's not like TG (or anyone) can go find another A380 over at the corner store if they have a need for an equipment sub for unscheduled maintenance or what have you, is it? TG has inconsistent product in their F/C class because their longhaul fleet with F cabins has a lot of types (A380/744/346), well publicized, as well as a well publicized record of equipment subs because their equipment's all over the lot (and they do change things a lot, a cursory scan of this forum will show that TG pulls F/adds F/changes equipment all the time). This isn't an airline like SQ or even CX where there's a pretty well-established, consistent product. Seems like you didn't do due diligence and now that the time for caveat emptor has passed those grapes are a bit sour.

Originally Posted by BinSabai
do you have experience on that?
I remember SQ always be a bit special in particular towards high status members of other *A airlines.
blocked award seats and surcharges on full flat business class legs on RTW ticket in J were my experience...
You may not be understanding the meaning of my . SQ Suites is nearly impossible to get on a *A partner award, save for the times when SQ mucks up their computers. The reason why TG is much easier to get than SQ on an award probably has something to do with product inconsistency and the perceived value of the product...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 24, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Also, there is no way the surcharges added up to $1650 for a one way flight from frankfurt to bangkok, and if you paid 220,000 miles one way for this award you are very foolish indeed.
There is no call for rudeness here.

Your posts in this thread are offensive.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The reason why TG is much easier to get than SQ on an award probably has something to do with product inconsistency and the perceived value of the product...
Well that's all true, but SQ is also just quite a bit stingier than TG. Different carriers handle award space differently. CX - which by most measures is SQ's equal - is quite generous with long-haul F award space on its premium aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.